Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Gretsch Catalina maple - replace stock heads
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Gretsch Catalina maple - replace stock heads
Richwire

No. 1 Posted on Feb 7, 2013 7:02 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hey Remo world,
My son just got a gretsch Catalina maple kit: 3toms & 2 floors.
I want to replace the stock Evans heads that came on the kit.
Does anyone have the maple kit and can recommend heads for the maple toms?
Already broke the 8x7 head ( not even 2hours into playing the kit).

technique2012

No. 2 Posted on Feb 7, 2013 8:16 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I say try the Evans Coated G2's. Even though I have DW, the G2's are extremely easy to tune and very durable. Hope your son has fun with his kit. I'm sure he'll have fun playing. Oh, another major question. What style is he playing? The G2's may be a bit too light sounding for heavier styles. I use G2's because I mainly play funk, jazz, and light rock. Circumstances may be differet for your son.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Feb 9, 2013 7:03 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
WoW!! Breaking heads is hard to do. It may have been a defective head or maybe had a hidden split around the edge.

If you want a different brand try Remo's Ambassador or Emperor weight heads. The have many styles but I would start with a standard Coated surface. Except for Fiberskyn and Coated I'm not that experienced with all the other types, maybe someone else here can help you with that.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
drumster15

No. 4 Posted on Feb 13, 2013 10:59 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Go with Coated Ambassadors Really great for all types of music believe me or if you want something other then Remo or Evans go with the Aquarian Force 10s really great sustain attack for toms for snare I assume he is a heavy hitter go with the triple threat on bass drum go with the super kick I
hope this helps

OldFart

Mapex

No. 5 Posted on Feb 13, 2013 12:29 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'd say Coated Ambassadors or Coated Emperor heads.

Put some care into tuning/tension the heads and you're good to go.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
toeNEE

No. 6 Posted on Feb 20, 2013 7:09 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
what kind of sound do you want???
i hate the hardware on those kits, but coated amb's always sounded good.. if the hoops are straight enough to tune em.

good luck

count to 4, show up on time, dont talk too much...

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 20 milliseconds