Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Re:New stuff
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster New stuff
paul

paulmiller

No. 1 Posted on Jan 3, 2013 9:13 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I wound up with some extra money to spend this month, and placed a couple of small orders on Amazon. I'm still restocking my stick bag, and got new rods at GC today. Also am getting shipping notices for new maple bass drum beaters and two pair of brushes, all coming separately, along with some music and a book. Makes going to the mailbox fun!

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

OldFart

Mapex

No. 2 Posted on Jan 7, 2013 4:40 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
I wound up with some extra money to spend this month, and placed a couple of small orders on Amazon. I'm still restocking my stick bag, and got new rods at GC today. Also am getting shipping notices for new maple bass drum beaters and two pair of brushes, all coming separately, along with some music and a book. Makes going to the mailbox fun!

That would ...

I mostly receive bills; however, today I received a replacement Lamp to power my big screen TV ( Just in time for the Superbowl ). I have no means to connect the two different ideas apart from the word 'Mailbox'.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Jan 12, 2013 4:59 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I just ordered one of these.

http://www.aheadarmorcases.com/drumcases.html

A 16 x 18 Base drum case, I just hope the zipper system really works. Should he here next week!

It's fun buying new stuff.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
paul

paulmiller

No. 4 Posted on Jan 18, 2013 10:49 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My roommate gave me an Ahead cymbal bag for Christmas. It was just in time, since the bag I've been using for the last 15 years is wearing out quickly. Great new bag. I'll be interested in your reports on the drum bag.

I've been having fun playing with two new pair of brushes, three new pair of tymp mallets, and a new pair of rods.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

StillKicken

No. 5 Posted on Jan 20, 2013 5:19 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Paul, I am totally impressed with the new Ahead Armor drum cases. As a soft case it is so strong it almost compares with a hard case rather than other soft cases although I wouldn't stack it from the bottom of a two wheel dolly but it can be stacked on other drums.

If you have the cymbal case you know the quality of the cover, it's top of the line. The main thing I like is the zipper system as noted in their add. The bag just fold open and the drum lifts out leaving the bag on the floor. Putting it back is just as easy. I also like the fleece interior.

My 22" bass wears a nice Tuxedo soft case, has lasted for years and still looks new. Putting the case ON the drum is like dressing a non-cooperating baby. With the Ahead soft case you set the drum IN the case.

Oh, I almost forgot. It has double handle carry straps and hand pocket handles on each side if you wish to carry it with both hands.

So what kind of brushes did you buy??

sherm

StillKicken edited on Jan 20, 2013 5:24 PM

StillKicken

No. 6 Posted on Feb 2, 2013 6:19 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well today I'm installing replacement parts; needed New Stuff.

Replacing the Iron Cobra hi-hat stand pull rod about 6 months ago I replaced the foot board pull strap. I'm guessing the stand is about 15 to 20 years old.

Also replacing the heads on the Ludwig Supra 6.5 x 14; just the standards, nothing fancy or specificity,a Coated Ambassador and Hazy Ambassador Snare Side.

Exciting??

sherm

PS: Oh BTW, I'm adding the new SLEEVED WASHERS,they are the new nylon sleeve tension rod washers, by Hendrix Drums!! Now That's EXCITING!!!

StillKicken edited on Feb 2, 2013 6:25 AM

paul

paulmiller

No. 7 Posted on Feb 2, 2013 10:05 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Sherm, I bought some rubber handled Regal Tips, wooden handled RT's, and wooden handle VF's, all non-retractable. Also a pair of black rods whose name I forget, a pair of soft VF mallets, and two pair of hard mallets. It was too hard to choose between the two, and besides, one pair is persimmon. Too cool to pass up.

Looks like the RT brushes will both go in the bag for different situations. I also used some electrical tape to narrow the spread of them.

I also picked up a pair of retractable brushes, but just don't care for them.

Just Add Sticks

OldFart

Mapex

No. 8 Posted on Feb 2, 2013 10:49 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Speaking of Ahead cases ...

I've had an Ahead Stick Bag for a few years. I like it. A Stick Bag is a Stick Bag, but I bring it up in this context because it's well-built.

My Ahead bag is older; black and silver, but very much like the one with red accents (and clear plastic on one pocket).

{ Later Edit supplying link }

OldFart edited on Feb 2, 2013 12:10 PM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
HuskerFan

Yay college

No. 9 Posted on Feb 3, 2013 2:46 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I picked up a used Dixon throne yesterday for 30 bucks. Not a bad deal. I needed something sturdier as my previous thrones haven't been all that great - too small, not adjustable enough, stripped threading where the wing bolt attaches to the shaft, etc - and this one seemed to fit the bill. The only bit of attention it needed at point-of-sale was a replacement wing bolt where the supports meet at the base of the shaft between the legs, so the ever-useful Jason at the shop found a spare DW wing bolt - good as new. And now my throne is 1% DW - classy! Big Smile

I think it's this one: http://intl.playdixon.com/Hardware/Detail.aspx?CID=4&ID=122852

Threaded shaft adjustment is much better than fixed-hole shaft positioning, in my opinion. I actually had a fixed-hole seat collapse under me in a recent gig. Bizarre.

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle
Zildjian, Dream, and Wuhan cymbals
OldFart

Mapex

No. 10 Posted on Feb 4, 2013 2:58 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
HuskerFan wrote:
I picked up a used Dixon throne yesterday for 30 bucks. Not a bad deal. I needed something sturdier as my previous thrones haven't been all that great - too small, not adjustable enough, stripped threading where the wing bolt attaches to the shaft, etc - and this one seemed to fit the bill. The only bit of attention it needed at point-of-sale was a replacement wing bolt where the supports meet at the base of the shaft between the legs, so the ever-useful Jason at the shop found a spare DW wing bolt - good as new. And now my throne is 1% DW - classy! Big Smile

I think it's this one: http://intl.playdixon.com/Hardware/Detail.aspx?CID=4&ID=122852

Threaded shaft adjustment is much better than fixed-hole shaft positioning, in my opinion. I actually had a fixed-hole seat collapse under me in a recent gig. Bizarre.

Thrones ... perhaps THE most important pieces of drum gear we get.

Cool! 1% DeeDub ain't half bad!

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
HuskerFan

Yay college

No. 11 Posted on Feb 4, 2013 3:24 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
Thrones ... perhaps THE most important pieces of drum gear we get.

Cool! 1% DeeDub ain't half bad!

It takes a while to really appreciate the benefit of a good throne. But once you know a bad one, boy, does it hit you.

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle
Zildjian, Dream, and Wuhan cymbals
paul

paulmiller

No. 12 Posted on Feb 5, 2013 11:41 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The worst throne I ever had was good, and I believe that playing with good thrones over the last 50 years has kept me from back problems.

I also believe that backrests, which I've used the whole time, help prevent back trouble.

Just Add Sticks

OldFart

Mapex

No. 13 Posted on Feb 6, 2013 1:10 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
^^^

You might be right, Paul.

February 2009 - to the day, perhaps? - I think it was the 4th or 5th of the month - I had back surgery. Fusion.

Lost part of the feeling in the outer right third of my right foot as a result. But I couldn't stand or walk for more than seven minutes at a time due to stenosis. But I digress ... The surgery helped.

I never used a backrest on any of my thrones.

For a considerable period of time I made use of a wooden four-legged Milk Stool.

Been using a Tama First Chair Ergo Rider for the last few years. It's something far superior to the Milk Stool arrangement. But without the backrest, I'm thinking it's a cut below what you describe.

After having had the Ergo Rider I don't think I'll be going back to the other Smile

OldFart edited on Feb 6, 2013 1:15 AM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 41 milliseconds