Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Foot Technique
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Foot Technique
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Jan 18, 2013 9:42 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I use a combination of the slide and flat foot. How about all of you?

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Drummistic

No. 2 Posted on Jan 23, 2013 7:51 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I play "heel up" most of the time. Sometimes though, there are some parts of songs that I like to play heel down, I have better control of the volume this way.

LJ

Black Panther (Mapex) Velvetone Drum Set.
Rocket Shell 14x5, Yamaha SD493 Brass Piccolo and Black Panther Velvetone Snare Drums.
Zildjian Cymbals.
Remo Heads.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 3 Posted on Jan 23, 2013 2:23 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I mix heel-up and heel-down reactively, but it includes some side-to-side wiggling. I do jam the toe of the shoe* up to the strap/chain for leverage (trying to quickly pivot at the ankle with the heel off the board a bit - emphasis on 'trying' Smile ).

My joints only operate to a certain degree Big Smile

( * - Shoes only : Can't play barefoot or in just socks )

OldFart edited on Jan 24, 2013 7:48 AM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
technique2012

No. 4 Posted on Jan 23, 2013 2:38 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:

( * - Shoes only : Can't play barefoot or in just socks )

At least I'm not the only one who thinks shoes on is better than no shoes.Smile

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 5 Posted on Jan 23, 2013 3:10 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I mostly use heel-up, but will use heel down if what I'm playing doesn't call for much bass drum or to naturally hold myself back dynamically. And I try to wear shoes when playing as much as I can.

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

StillKicken

No. 6 Posted on Jan 26, 2013 12:11 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I use heel down or high heel down (LOL!); I wear Western boots when I play.

Probably the most comfortable shoes Iíve ever worn are these, when not playing:

http://www.skechers.com/style/76848/work-shape-ups-x-wear-slip-resistant/blk

I recently had soles repaired on the boots and they were in the shop for a week. Wearing the Shechers during gigs was not a happy time for me. They are like walking on a soft rubber ball with hardly any heel at all.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
drumster15

No. 7 Posted on Jan 30, 2013 6:34 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I use heel up most of time and heel down moeller

knightcrawler

No. 8 Posted on Feb 6, 2013 11:58 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I play mostly heel up, and I have a stroke and then a slide technique. For some odd reason, my ankle doesn't pivot like how Dave Weckl's does.

I'll play heel down for extremely light stuff.

pgdrums

No. 9 Posted on Feb 7, 2013 8:36 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I play heel-down 99% of the time. Don't like the sound of playing into the head, which I find difficult to avoid playing heel-up.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 25 milliseconds