Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Being Indecisive
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Being Indecisive
knightcrawler

No. 1 Posted on Jan 17, 2013 1:37 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OK, I can't decide on if I want to go for a single pedal or a double pedal. I need a new pedal, badly. I used a double only once in my life and I've been mostly using single pedal. I actually like single pedal the best, helps me move, and I feel more comfy with a single pedal (not a lot of clutter, space to move the hi-hat, etc.)

For me, I only see a use for a double pedal for fills like Thomas Lang, or just metal.

Do I need a double pedal?

Andy

No. 2 Posted on Jan 17, 2013 4:06 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I used a double pedal for years but it really never did anything for me. All I use is single pedal. Unless you're one of those guys who plays a lot of speed metal, I really don't see the need for it as a double pedal isn't all what it's cracked up to be and a single pedal is really all I ever need. On those rare occasions where I need that extra double bass drum sound, I'll place a 16" floor tom on the left side of my kit and play the "missing" double bass notes with my left hand. Works great.

Bottom line: you don't need a double bass pedal. Stick with a single.

paul

paulmiller

No. 3 Posted on Jan 17, 2013 5:17 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I use my double pedal for everything, including small group jazz gigs. There are occasions when it's set up and doesn't get used, but then it just acts as a hihat positioning device.

It gets used more in a rock setting, but I've found it an interesting tool in all kinds of jazz settings, too, and it often comes as a surprise to audience and musicians alike, usually to good effect.

That said, it sounds to me like you don't really want to use one. In that case, don't. It's not a required piece of hardware, just another tool that some find useful at different times, like a cowbell.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

technique2012

No. 4 Posted on Jan 17, 2013 6:58 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I get all the speed and double pedal sound I need from a single, because all I use is a quick double stroke. The only reason I have doubles on my kits are because my father likes them. Unless there's an unbelievable sale, I don't see doubles as very necessary.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKicken

No. 5 Posted on Jan 19, 2013 3:25 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Do you really need one? Maybe not, I have one because I have always wanted one and about a year ago I could not pass up a really good buy for a used Iron Cobra double.

As of today I've never used it, although last year late summer I needed to be in two places ALMOST at the same time so I setup the regular kit at the last place then went to the earlier gig with the main pedal of the double for a one hour outdoor gig with a rigged 18" tom as bass and a snare. Which got me off my rear to convert the tom to a bass drum later. I've never regretted the conversion since.

Paul likes them and I probably would too if I had time to practice. I think it could be fun.

Try finding a used one and if you don't like it you could sell it and maybe get your money back. Or sell it and buy the one you would rater have if you really like it.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Pearl57

No. 6 Posted on Jan 21, 2013 6:00 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The thought process reminds me of people who ask why should I learn those metal or pop or latin patterns. ..I am not interested in them and will never play that style. ..

I say get a double pedal and learn to use it. ...Learn everything you can...Don't be the drummer who lost the gig because he limited his growth and potential.....

My .02 cents worth of advice.....

Pearl57

No. 7 Posted on Jan 21, 2013 6:01 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Post is deleted

Pearl57 edited on Jan 21, 2013 9:29 AM

StillKicken

No. 8 Posted on Jan 21, 2013 8:45 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Pearl57 wrote:
The thought process reminds me of people who ask why should I learn those metal or pop or latin patterns. ..I am not interested in them and will never play that style. ..

I say get a double pedal and learn to use it. ...Learn everything you can...Don't be the drummer who lost the gig because he limited his growth and potential.....

My .02 cents worth of advice.....

That's true!! I know I'm missing out on a number of gigs from musicians I know in my area. I don't know enough about Rock or the new Country style of playing, my main strong points are Older Country and Big Band, I would also like to know more about Jazz.

The more you know about music the better; and more doors will open up to you.

sherm

paul

paulmiller

No. 9 Posted on Jan 21, 2013 9:57 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
"The more you know about music the better; and more doors will open up to you."

What Sherm said.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

Singlestroker

No. 10 Posted on Jan 21, 2013 2:50 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
"The more you know about music the better; and more doors will open up to you."

What Sherm said.

I agree, but I think it's more than that for many of us. I have some good friends who are happy, and have been happy for forty years, playing the same material year in, year out.

However, I, for one, like to learn as much as possible, and get as good as I possibly can at, anything I do. This desire has, so far, survived despite the fact that failing health means that a great deal of what I am working on will never be seen in a public performance.

I just love learning, and to try to meet its challenges.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 11 Posted on Jan 22, 2013 10:03 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I owned a Double-Bass kit back another lifetime ago.

If you have it, you'll find a way to use it. It could be useful to you; it was for me. Although I never kept careful track, I only played the second Bass part of the time.

I would, however, straddle my foot over the Hat pedal and Bass pedal simultaneously with the ball and toes of the left foot on the Hat foot-board and the heel playing the Bass. Being younger and far less arthritic, I could play that way.

I learned from having the gear that playing a Hat in various ways turned out to be way more important to me than trying to roll on the Bass ... but that is useful, too. I couldn't have found that out without having a Double-Bass kit for an extended period.

You might want to purchase a Double-pedal from a reputable store which will allow returns. Trouble with that is, they'd usually give 'store credit' where you can apply the purchase price to some other equal-value goods. I bring it up because I'd hate to see you drop a significant amount on a Double-Pedal and only come to a final conclusion that it's not really 'your thing' and be out any significant amount. Carefully check the store's time limit if you chance that approach ( and remember, the gear has to be in their hands before the drop-dead date and hour).

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
knightcrawler

No. 12 Posted on Jan 25, 2013 8:54 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
See! That's why I'm being indecisive. I can learn metal, which includes double bass, but then that means I need to take time out of stuff I love like rock, alternative, latin, funk. Stuff I've played for years and never needed a double pedal.

The only times I used a double pedal was for grooves but I shrunk the size of my kit to just 3 toms, kick, snare, 4-6 cymbals, and other percussion toys. Which is why I was sought after.

However, I love to play, and because I'm not seeking a metal band that requires double bass, I figured what's the point? Actually, I helped start bands and played gigs because I could play stuff that most "metal" guys couldn't play.

Dave

No. 13 Posted on Jan 25, 2013 10:27 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It sounds like you're stuck on the idea that a double pedal is only used with metal. If that's what you believe, and you don't like metal, then you probably don't need one.

However, if you did get one, and realized you could use it for many things other than metal, I think you would be happy that you have it and be a better musician for being able to play it.

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

Pearl57

No. 14 Posted on Jan 25, 2013 10:33 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
learn metal, which includes double bass, but then that means I need to take time out of stuff I love like rock, alternative, latin, funk. Stuff I've played for years and never needed a double pedal.

The only times I used a double pedal was for grooves but I shrunk the size of my kit to just 3 toms, kick, snare, 4-6 cymbals, and other percussion toys. Which is why I was sought after.

However, I love to play, and because I'm not seeking a metal band that requires double bass, I figured what's the point? Actually, I helped start bands and played gigs because I could play stuff that most "metal" guys couldn't play.

Metal is not the only style of music that a double pedal can be utilized. Almost all the music you listed has potential for double pedal usage....It doesn't have to be straight 1/8 or 1/16 note continuous patterns....

Pearl57 edited on Jan 25, 2013 10:40 AM

OldFart

Mapex

No. 15 Posted on Jan 25, 2013 11:45 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Pearl57 wrote:
learn metal, which includes double bass, but then that means I need to take time out of stuff I love like rock, alternative, latin, funk. Stuff I've played for years and never needed a double pedal.

Metal is not the only style of music that a double pedal can be utilized. Almost all the music you listed has potential for double pedal usage....It doesn't have to be straight 1/8 or 1/16 note continuous patterns....

Right - and a good point. Most of my double-bass work was devoted to patterns. I might burst a very short roll here and there, but the music I played (before Metal was very well defined) didn't call for it; and I'm not sure I would've been lured in that direction.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Singlestroker

No. 16 Posted on Jan 25, 2013 12:51 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Dave wrote:
It sounds like you're stuck on the idea that a double pedal is only used with metal...

It definitely has applications other than in metal. A lot of smaller British brass bands, such as my own, have a drum kit only for percussion parts. We attempt quite a lot of orchestral pieces, and these quite often include bass drum rolls. Although it's impossible to reproduce the sound of an orchestral bass drum on a kit, the ability to do the rolls is still better than just playing 8ths.

Drummistic

No. 17 Posted on Jan 25, 2013 1:08 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
knightcrawler wrote:
...However, I love to play, and because I'm not seeking a metal band that requires double bass...

You have your answer right there, it is not if you need a double pedal, but more about if you want to use it.

I'm too old to make a credible heavy/trash drummer with constant use of double bass patterns, and it is not the type of music that I would find interesting (again it is me, LJ, who doesn't find it engaging, I'm NOT saying that it is not a valid music style)

A couple of years ago though, I got involved in a quite interesting project that included people from Latin America, US and Europe. One of the songs in that project made extensive use of double bass drumming, so it motivated me to get a double pedal and I learned to play it well enough to make the recording. I still have it and use it here and there, but because I find it interesting, not because I need to.

LJ

Black Panther (Mapex) Velvetone Drum Set.
Rocket Shell 14x5, Yamaha SD493 Brass Piccolo and Black Panther Velvetone Snare Drums.
Zildjian Cymbals.
Remo Heads.

Kaleidoscope

No. 18 Posted on Jan 25, 2013 1:34 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I bought a used dw double pedal. I rarely used the double feature of it. It came in handy though. The hoop clamp screw broke off in the nut from hard use. but you can turn the slave into a single, so its like I had a backup on hand.

say cheese
"Hi ... my name is Kaleidoscope and I'm a Zildji-holic."
HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 19 Posted on Jan 25, 2013 2:15 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
It definitely has applications other than in metal. A lot of smaller British brass bands, such as my own, have a drum kit only for percussion parts. We attempt quite a lot of orchestral pieces, and these quite often include bass drum rolls. Although it's impossible to reproduce the sound of an orchestral bass drum on a kit, the ability to do the rolls is still better than just playing 8ths.

What's your method for playing these bass drum rolls on the kit? I'm particularly interested in how you approach that gear-wise.

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

StillKicken

No. 20 Posted on Jan 26, 2013 11:44 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Dave wrote:

If you did get one, and realized you could use it for many things other than metal, I think you would be happy that you have it and be a better musician for being able to play it.

Yes, what Dave said:

I play mostly older style Country and a little 50/60's rock and there are times when I think I could have used a double for that song. Like Paul when he plays; he probably doesn't use double on every song but he does use it.

sherm

Singlestroker

No. 21 Posted on Jan 26, 2013 12:37 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
HuskerFan wrote:
What's your method for playing these bass drum rolls...

I am not sure what you mean by "gear-wise". If you have in mind how I tune the drum (since what I use to play it is obvious - a double pedal), the answer is that I tune in in no way special.

As to how I play the rolls, I think you'll have gathered that I (and probably everyone else) cannot produce press-rolls with the pedals. I simply play single-stroke rolls as fast as possible while maintaining, the correct time and as fast as the speed of the piece will allow.

HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 22 Posted on Jan 26, 2013 10:19 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
I am not sure what you mean by "gear-wise". If you have in mind how I tune the drum (since what I use to play it is obvious - a double pedal), the answer is that I tune in in no way special.

As to how I play the rolls, I think you'll have gathered that I (and probably everyone else) cannot produce press-rolls with the pedals. I simply play single-stroke rolls as fast as possible while maintaining, the correct time and as fast as the speed of the piece will allow.

I was partially interested in tuning, but I was wondering more if you use something like Vater Vintage Bomber or even old lambswool beaters to get a softer sound, more like a concert bass drum. I should have been more specific.

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Singlestroker

No. 23 Posted on Jan 28, 2013 1:42 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
HuskerFan wrote:
I was partially interested in tuning, but I was wondering more if you use something like Vater Vintage Bomber or even old lambswool beaters to get a softer sound, more like a concert bass drum. I should have been more specific.

I am the sole percussionist in a small brass band, so how I have the drumkit is set up is always going to be compromise. I tried soft lambswool beaters, but found that they were too soft for many of the pieces that we play. I use 4.5cm dia. felt beaters. I can't remember what make they are, but I'd say they are medium-hard or some such. I find it better to play softly, when appropriate, with them than to try to play loudly with soft beaters.

Singlestroker

No. 24 Posted on Jan 28, 2013 2:30 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
HuskerFan wrote:
... to get a softer sound, more like a concert bass drum.

Joshua, I apologise. I haven't been too forthcoming with my replies.

I should have said that it is always a compromise where there is only one percussionist in a British brass band because they play many different styles of music.

I should also have mentioned that, for portability and economy of space, in both our very cramped venues as far as stage space goes, as well as in my small car, I gig with an 18" bass drum. This does limit the scope for imitating a concert bass drum over and above the limitations of playing with pedals. Despite the small diameter, it is, however still possible to strike then immediately release to get a resonant note, or alternatively to strike and momentarily hold the beater on the head. This applies both to individual strokes and to rolls.

I am working on more or less corresponding techniques with the hi-hat. As you may know, imitating clash cymbals is not too difficult when it is a simple case of clash-and-let-ring. Clash and damp is a whole lot harder, but it can be done, as I've been able to do, but only in fits and starts so far.

knightcrawler

No. 25 Posted on Feb 6, 2013 12:02 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Lol, this sparked an interesting discussion.

I bought a new single pedal Smile Mapex Falcon

I'm just comfortable playing single pedals, and I never had to have a double kick ever.

Go to page 12 Next

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 99 milliseconds