Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Re:Buying Used Gear On Ebay. Pros and Cons
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
Poster Re:Buying Used Gear On Ebay. Pros and Cons [Re:knightcrawler]
paul

paulmiller

No. 2 Posted on Jan 2, 2013 7:35 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Biggest problem with ebay is the inability to do a close examination of what you're buying. That said, I built my current gigging sets with drums and cymbals I bought on ebay and a couple of other sites that don't exist any more (it was more than 10 years ago, after all), and have been really pleased most of the time.

I try to stay away from auctions without good pictures in most cases, but if you're willing to gamble a poorly constructed ad can result in a lower selling price. Good pictures can tell you a lot about a drum or cymbal and make the process more comfortable.

Ask questions. Try to get onto new auctions early, and ask about anything that's unclear in the ad.

If there's a particular item you're looking for, save a search for it. Ebay will notify you every time one is listed. I have two of them still working, and they save a lot of effort.

Know the market. Check completed auctions and other online sites for similar items so you can see what others are asking and what's actually been paid by buyers.

Set a limit. Decide what the item is worth to you (don't forget to consider shipping costs) and don't exceed that amount. Sniping programs like esnipe are a good way to ensure you don't overpay. I place my bid through esnipe and then ignore the auction till it's over. I lose some, but never get caught up in a contest, and don't overpay.

Don't be afraid to walk away for any reason at all. Whatever the item is, another one just like it will be along eventually. A little patience will take you a long way, and save a lot of money.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

Topic thread
Hits Subject Poster Chars Posted on
1848 Buying Used Gear On Ebay. Pros and Cons knightcrawler 237 Jan 2, 2013 2:43 PM
1739 Re:Buying Used Gear On Ebay. Pros and Cons paul 1573 Jan 2, 2013 7:35 PM
1514 Re:Buying Used Gear On Ebay. Pros and Cons Andy 936 Jan 17, 2013 4:15 PM
1480 Re:Buying Used Gear On Ebay. Pros and Cons knightcrawler 138 Jan 17, 2013 4:52 PM
1637 Re:Buying Used Gear On Ebay. Pros and Cons OldFart 628 Jan 17, 2013 7:55 PM
1313 Re:Buying Used Gear On Ebay. Pros and Cons Andy 769 Feb 18, 2013 6:12 PM
1486 Re:Buying Used Gear On Ebay. Pros and Cons Kaleidoscope 184 Feb 20, 2013 5:24 AM

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 23 milliseconds