Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Buying Used Gear On Ebay. Pros and Cons
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Buying Used Gear On Ebay. Pros and Cons
knightcrawler

No. 1 Posted on Jan 2, 2013 2:43 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm in the process of revamping my drum kit (getting a new one soon hopefully) and I was just wondering what are some of your experiences with buying gear on ebay.

Any pros and cons with buying used gear online? Do they break faster?

paul

paulmiller

No. 2 Posted on Jan 2, 2013 7:35 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Biggest problem with ebay is the inability to do a close examination of what you're buying. That said, I built my current gigging sets with drums and cymbals I bought on ebay and a couple of other sites that don't exist any more (it was more than 10 years ago, after all), and have been really pleased most of the time.

I try to stay away from auctions without good pictures in most cases, but if you're willing to gamble a poorly constructed ad can result in a lower selling price. Good pictures can tell you a lot about a drum or cymbal and make the process more comfortable.

Ask questions. Try to get onto new auctions early, and ask about anything that's unclear in the ad.

If there's a particular item you're looking for, save a search for it. Ebay will notify you every time one is listed. I have two of them still working, and they save a lot of effort.

Know the market. Check completed auctions and other online sites for similar items so you can see what others are asking and what's actually been paid by buyers.

Set a limit. Decide what the item is worth to you (don't forget to consider shipping costs) and don't exceed that amount. Sniping programs like esnipe are a good way to ensure you don't overpay. I place my bid through esnipe and then ignore the auction till it's over. I lose some, but never get caught up in a contest, and don't overpay.

Don't be afraid to walk away for any reason at all. Whatever the item is, another one just like it will be along eventually. A little patience will take you a long way, and save a lot of money.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

Andy

No. 3 Posted on Jan 17, 2013 4:15 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Ebay is hit and miss. I've purchased some excellent used equipment, but have gotten a few junkers as well. Paul offers the best advice, so I won't repeat his. I will tell you to closely inspect everything you receive from Ebay sellers. If you find something wrong with it, contact the seller through Ebay's e-mail so there will be a record. If the owner disagrees, simply file an Ebay claim.

A few years ago I bought a bass drum. When it arrived it was pretty much trashed with all sorts of missing parts and hidden damage. I filed a complaint with Ebay and received a 100% refund plus shipping.

More recently I bought a "like new" snare drum that turned out to be "like extremely used" with a few stripped lugs and a broken strainer knob. I contacted the seller and he took care of it immediately. Just for fun, I re-visited his site and found that he had later sold that very same damaged drum to some other sucker.

knightcrawler

No. 4 Posted on Jan 17, 2013 4:52 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Wow. Thanks for all the advice. I'm actually just looking into getting some used cymbals. I may go to Guitar Center for them. Just 1 or 3.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 5 Posted on Jan 17, 2013 7:55 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
knightcrawler wrote:
Wow. Thanks for all the advice. I'm actually just looking into getting some used cymbals. I may go to Guitar Center for them. Just 1 or 3.

I've never used eBay services. I've merely checked-out wares (viewed the photos and read explanatory detail).

I'm very conservative in such matters; so I purchase what I can handle and inspect. That's as far as I go. Sorry I can't be of any help. I would need to have a pretty large surplus of time and money to explore bidding and purchases as an experiment.

That said : 'Buyer Beware' no matter the venue.

A word to the wise Smile

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Andy

No. 6 Posted on Feb 18, 2013 6:12 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
knightcrawler wrote:

There are a lot of reputable drum shops that sell on Ebay. I've gotten some excellent deals from Dale's Drum Shop and similar places. Guitar center used stuff can be a pretty good as well. Individual sellers is normally where you encounter the most risk. All in all, I've had luck with about 75% of my used gear purchases from Ebay to include my favorite snare drum. For the other 25%, I either filed a claim, worked out a deal with the seller or simply kept the stuff for a while and then re-sold it for a slight loss (after accurately describing the product). Best of luck.

Andy edited on Feb 18, 2013 6:16 PM

Kaleidoscope

No. 7 Posted on Feb 20, 2013 5:24 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've bought tons of crap off ebay. No problems what so ever. Buy from reputable sellers that have plenty of good feedback. Be wary of no sales or just a couple sales. Happy bidding!

say cheese
"Hi ... my name is Kaleidoscope and I'm a Zildji-holic."

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 24 milliseconds