Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Bosphorus cymbal purchase - not what it seemed!
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Bosphorus cymbal purchase - not what it seemed!
Singlestroker

No. 1 Posted on Dec 12, 2012 12:02 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I picked up a 13" set of Masterwork Jazz hi-hats a few weeks ago, and have since been keeping my eyes open for a good deal on some other cymbals that will make up a good set with them.

Tonight I purchased Bosphorus Traditional Series 17" Medium Thin Crash and 22" Medium Thin Ride. I bought them new from a clearance sale. With them being Bosphorus I was happy to risk that. I don't think I'll lose money if I don't like them and have to have to sell them straight on.

I have been wondering why there seem to be better deals around on Bosphorus just lately. I know that with Michael Vosbein, Stanton Moore and Jeff Hamilton leaving them they will have had some thinking to do. I hope they aren't going out of business after setting such high standards.

Singlestroker edited on Dec 21, 2012 12:56 PM

StillKicken

No. 2 Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:11 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I don't know about their business but I have head roomers of a large retail music outlet trying to get a couple of large loans to stay in business.

When that happens it hurts all the individual manufactures that have dumped so much money into their business to keep up with retail demands.

I have also noticed it's getting harder to find chrome Gibraltar rack parts. It is hard for local dealers to get and I noticed Musician Friend is no longer selling them, although I haven't checked within the last three months.

Congratulations on your purchase and enjoy!

sherm

StillKicken edited on Dec 15, 2012 3:13 PM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Singlestroker

No. 3 Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:59 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Sadly, these are going straight back. They were sold as new, although displayed. They have lots of scuffs and scratches. Even worse, the 22” has been knocked over on a stand, causing slight buckling around the bell.

The seller is in denial, so we’ll see where it goes.

StillKicken

No. 4 Posted on Dec 22, 2012 6:28 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OH no, sorry to hear that. Sad

Do the boxes look like a repack; could it be freight damage?

Hope you can get your money back.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Singlestroker

No. 5 Posted on Dec 22, 2012 6:58 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi Sherm and thank you. They are definitely a repack, but they came in a strong box and I am certain it's not damage-in-transit.

I knew the cymbals were ex-display, but he listed them as otherwise new, unused and undamaged. The pattern of some of the scratches seems to reinforce the impression of a cymbal that has fallen over while on a stand.

With the shop owner denying that there was a mark on them when they left him, and saying he'll refund if I send them back in the same condition as when they left him, there may be a little problem building up for me here. Thinking about it, it is open for any seller with damaged new goods to try this sort of thing on and with a good chance of success. I certainly can't prove who scratched the cymbals and bent one of them!

OldFart

Mapex

No. 6 Posted on Dec 22, 2012 12:08 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
Hi Sherm and thank you. They are definitely a repack, but they came in a strong box and I am certain it's not damage-in-transit.

I knew the cymbals were ex-display, but he listed them as otherwise new, unused and undamaged. The pattern of some of the scratches seems to reinforce the impression of a cymbal that has fallen over while on a stand.

With the shop owner denying that there was a mark on them when they left him, and saying he'll refund if I send them back in the same condition as when they left him, there may be a little problem building up for me here. Thinking about it, it is open for any seller with damaged new goods to try this sort of thing on and with a good chance of success. I certainly can't prove who scratched the cymbals and bent one of them!

Oh dear ...

What lows people will stoop to in order to log something as 'sold' boggles the mind. So sorry you've been met with that ill-begotten practice.

Here's hoping the resolution is quick and just.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Singlestroker

No. 7 Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:24 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
... Here's hoping the resolution is quick and just.

Thank you for the thought, Randy.

He kindly offered to send me a full refund as soon as he received the cymbals back at his shop in the condition they left it; i.e., he alleges, in mint condition. It'll be interesting to see what Ebay do. He's "reported me" to them for the feedback I've given him, presumably in the hope that getting in first will sway them. I have lodged a Not-As-Described case.

I might ultimately have to take a small claim against him in the court. In the meantime, of course, he has my money and I have cymbals that I don't want.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 22 milliseconds