Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

mixing musical styles - fusion or abomination
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster mixing musical styles - fusion or abomination
brad_leishman

Zenquest

No. 1 Posted on Dec 8, 2012 8:40 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
So my classic rock band was asked to learn a polka for an upcoming gig. This band hasn't done one before. I want to perform it traditionally. The guitar player, who is a rocker, wants me to incorporate double bass in the solo section. I didn't agree because I think it would be tasteless and an abomination of the genre and not a musical fusion of styles.

When playing different genres, I try to strive to sound authentic - - not a rock guy cramming in rock licks into a different style. However,that being said, I suppose if everyone took the traditional approach, fusion music would never have evolved

So my question is, would you agree to the double bass beat in the instrumental section(assuming you have double pedals/bass drums and the ability to play it)or would you not and why?

brad_leishman edited on Dec 8, 2012 8:43 AM

Zenquest

Mapex

No. 2 Posted on Dec 8, 2012 10:05 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
brad_leishman wrote:
So my classic rock band was asked to learn a polka for an upcoming gig. This band hasn't done one before. I want to perform it traditionally. The guitar player, who is a rocker, wants me to incorporate double bass in the solo section. I didn't agree because I think it would be tasteless and an abomination of the genre and not a musical fusion of styles.

When playing different genres, I try to strive to sound authentic - - not a rock guy cramming in rock licks into a different style. However,that being said, I suppose if everyone took the traditional approach, fusion music would never have evolved

So my question is, would you agree to the double bass beat in the instrumental section(assuming you have double pedals/bass drums and the ability to play it)or would you not and why?

Although it's not a hard and fast rule that some sort of Police force will patrol, I was taught and generally abide by a Maxim that says one ought to learn/master something first before you 'artistically' break the rule.

My father basically inculcated that into my psyche.

As an example, I don't like much deviation from traditional Christmas Carol arrangements, or Church Hymns.

There are a few other examples of things at which I bristle when someone else wants to amp it up their way.

Why not just have everyone put forth the effort to deliver the best Polka you can muster and leave the Blast Beats and Breathing Fire to the Rock set?

Hells Bells ... why not learn a couple more Polka tunes and do them up just right in case the audience asks for more - surprise them with the "bonus tracks"? The people who asked for a Polka obviously want a Polka, else they'd have said, 'Can you do a Polka for us? Only punch it up like Judas Priest would do'.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
pwc

No. 3 Posted on Dec 8, 2012 7:52 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Tell the guitarist to just follow any dotted notes on the music.
They are called Polka dots ... Clown

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
StillKicken

No. 4 Posted on Dec 8, 2012 9:34 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well....in my book a Polka is traditional. I can understand a young person growing up in today's world wanting to put a new twist on the music but you have understand the customers view, they want to hear the music as they knew it when they grew up learning to dance and Polka is part of their heritage.

I played Big Band style music for 25 plus years for people that grew up during that era and I had to learn to play Polka like they wanted to hear it(my heritage is mostly English); the way it was as what they call; Old Time.

Our bass man played the Tuba when we player German Polka and Waltz. During a Polka with no warning he would blast out a loud "WOOMP WOOMP" and the dancers would laugh and dance a little harder; and then when our singer started sing in their language of German their eyes and faces would light up and the music filled their hearts with love.

You decide...

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 23 milliseconds