Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Which drum set should I get?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Which drum set should I get?
mbpereda

No. 1 Posted on Dec 6, 2012 8:24 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hello, I am new here. I am looking for a major upgrade without spending a whole lot of dough. I play a lot of jazz, gospel, and soft-rock. I am using the church's crappy Mark II, lol, and I want something nice to play for my Church. I am looking for a sustained, crisp, but deep sound. It must also be easy to tune. Here are my options:

Masteredge 3-piece kit for $300:
-Deep 12" tom
-16" floor tom
-22" kick drum
-or-

Mapex V 5-piece Kit for $350:
-12" and 13" toms
-16" floor tom
-22" bass drum
-13.5"x 4" ludwig piccolo snare

I really like the Masteredged, I have read many good comment about the Acousticon 516 shells, I really don't know how the Mapex 9-ply Basswood will hold up... I really want some good opinions. I know there're a lot of pro-drummers in this site.
That's all. Cheers!

mbpereda edited on Dec 6, 2012 10:06 AM

mbpereda

No. 2 Posted on Dec 7, 2012 6:44 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Update:

Well, it's settled. I got the Remo MasterEdge for $270. Good buy or not, I'll make another update when the drums are delivered.

Smile

Singlestroker

No. 3 Posted on Dec 7, 2012 11:25 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Micael, I am no professional but I don't think that you will regret buying a Remo Masteredge kit. I have one myself, and I think it is superb. I understand that the Mapex V is very much a budget kit, although I have never seen one.

Be sure that the tomtom mounts on the Remo are sound, as there were some of that type that had a manufacturing defect. I don't know about the price, as I am in the UK. On conversion, it seems it might be a bit high over here.

mbpereda

No. 4 Posted on Dec 8, 2012 8:42 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks for the reply, Singlestroker. The guy who sold me the set, great guy by the way, told me he restored the drum set. He polished all the hardware, put new wraps, and made the tom and bass into virgin shells. This means I'll have to use a snare stand for the high tom. The only thing he warned me about was the cheap wraps, but reassured me the shells were in perfect condition.

The drum set will arrive next Friday. I'll post a picture with perhaps a sound clip.
In the mean time, this is the seller and the drum set that I've purchased: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JifSvhqxO4

He thinks it's a MasterEdge. But I don't know, it looks like the MasterTouch, the only difference will be the hardware and molded bearring (if it is a ME)
-Cheers!

mbpereda edited on Dec 8, 2012 8:56 AM

StillKicken

No. 5 Posted on Dec 8, 2012 9:51 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It looks like a nice set of drums. I liked the sound and the sound of the snare, it had a nice ring when playing close to the rim.

Using a snare stand will work for the high/rack tom; at some point you may want to add a RIMS style rack mount and mount it to the side of a cymbal stand or rack system. If were me I wouldn't drill any holes for a shell mount.

Enjoy your new set!!

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Singlestroker

No. 6 Posted on Dec 9, 2012 2:16 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I see that the seller doesn't know for sure if it's Masteredge kit. That may be because the badges were thrown away during the refurbishment. Externally, apart from the badges, which usually identifies the type, Masteredge are identical with Mastertouch. The difference is in the bearing edge, which are made of a plastic and superimposed on the Acousticon shells with Masteredge. With the slightly older Mastertouch, the edges were routed into the shell itself, much like most drums at the time and since.

If a snare drum is included with the kit, it may be a good deal, although if the badges really are missing, then that does detract from the value. That won't stop you enjoying those great drums, though!

Singlestroker edited on Dec 9, 2012 7:40 AM

mbpereda

No. 7 Posted on Dec 9, 2012 6:30 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks again Singlestroker and StillKicken. I totally agree; if my set came with that snare it would have been a killer deal! Now I am thinking about the Mapex set in the initial post that has the ludwig piccolo snare, hmmmm....

Oh, well. Now I am hunting for a cheap, but reliable snare drum.
-13" x 4" Pulse Piccolo Snare. (I have read a good to decent snare drum)
-14" x 5.5" Griffin Snare Drum. (I don't know anything about this brand...)
-There's also a Maple shell of the 14" x 5.5" Griffin Snare Drum, albeit more expensive.
I am not too picky on the size. I just want good hardware, and a delux throw-off is a must.
Also, I cannot go over $60. How I HATE having a budget, specially during the Holidays!

Singlestroker

No. 8 Posted on Dec 9, 2012 7:43 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Micael, I know only too well how urgent it seems to get your hands on your own kit. I also know from experience that it is unlikely to be so urgent that you can't wait long enough for the right deal. Those are not the only two drumkits in the world!

Dave

No. 9 Posted on Dec 9, 2012 6:28 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Get teh one that sounds best to you.

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

mbpereda

No. 10 Posted on Dec 10, 2012 6:53 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks SingleStroker and Dave. I'll wait for a sweet deal; and at the mean I'll use my spare snare. Thank you all for some great and honest advise and insights.

Kaleidoscope

No. 11 Posted on Dec 10, 2012 7:12 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Wait for a good deal on a nice snare whether it be used or not. Snares seem to me at least more important than the shells. Cheers on the Remo kit though, seems like a killer deal if the youtube vid sound is accurate.

say cheese
"Hi ... my name is Kaleidoscope and I'm a Zildji-holic."
Singlestroker

No. 12 Posted on Dec 11, 2012 9:47 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Kaleidoscope wrote:
... Remo kit... killer deal...

The question of whether that is a killer deal is not a matter of how the drums sound. They have a market value, irrespective of sound, which is set by market forces.

If you know the US market then I defer to what is presumably sound advice, Kaleidoscope. If, however, you are over here in the UK, then you'll know, or, with respect, ought to know if you are to give such advice, that it is difficult to sell Remo drumkits at prices that reflect anywhere near their quality. You'd be lucky to sell a 3-piece shellpack like that for better than 100 (UK pounds). If the badges are indeed missing, then the situation is likely to be worse, although the glitter finish might help a little.

mbpereda

No. 13 Posted on Dec 11, 2012 9:50 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
She arrived yesterday, and I got to say- Oh.My.GAWD, that bass. Smile

It has so much resonance and a deep, thick warm sound. It sounds just like a DW Collector's bass. I guess the new Evans and Aquarium drum heads really make the difference.

The rack and floor toms are awesome. It has that warm tone...some say that Acousticon shells sound like a mixture of maple and birch, or somewhere in between. Mine sounds more like if Papa Maple and Mama Mahogany had sweet passionate love an produced Baby Acousticon 516...
I also found that I have a MasterTouch kit, the kit has not superimposed plastic bearing edge.

Finally, you are totally right SingleStroker. The seller told me he had over $320 into the drum set, I also noticed he had tried to sell it for about 2 months. After buying the kit he asked me to reconsider because he had another potential buyer closer to him. He proceeded to warn me about the Remo kit, primarily the low resale value. I befriended him and the rest is history.
Going back to the value; it is true, there's absolutely no profit to be made with the Remo kit, only the pure enjoyment when playing them- which is priceless.

mbpereda edited on Dec 11, 2012 10:12 AM

Singlestroker

No. 14 Posted on Dec 11, 2012 11:49 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
mbpereda wrote:
... with the Remo kit, only the pure enjoyment when playing them- which is priceless.

Yes, and in the past I too have paid over the odds myself for a kit. After all, if you really do like it, and not least for the personal connection with the buyer, then that's worth a lot - as you say. In any case, it won't work out at much per year even if you keep it for three years and lose half of the price you paid.

Enjoy your drums!

technique2012

No. 15 Posted on Dec 11, 2012 3:12 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
mbpereda wrote:
She arrived yesterday, and I got to say- Oh.My.GAWD, that bass. Smile

It has so much resonance and a deep, thick warm sound. It sounds just like a DW Collector's bass. I guess the new Evans and Aquarium drum heads really make the difference.

The rack and floor toms are awesome. It has that warm tone...some say that Acousticon shells sound like a mixture of maple and birch, or somewhere in between. Mine sounds more like if Papa Maple and Mama Mahogany had sweet passionate love an produced Baby Acousticon 516...
I also found that I have a MasterTouch kit, the kit has not superimposed plastic bearing edge.

Finally, you are totally right SingleStroker. The seller told me he had over $320 into the drum set, I also noticed he had tried to sell it for about 2 months. After buying the kit he asked me to reconsider because he had another potential buyer closer to him. He proceeded to warn me about the Remo kit, primarily the low resale value. I befriended him and the rest is history.
Going back to the value; it is true, there's absolutely no profit to be made with the Remo kit, only the pure enjoyment when playing them- which is priceless.

Sounds like someone got their money's worth.Smile Good luck with the kit, bro!

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 38 milliseconds