Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Peter Erskine
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Peter Erskine
HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 1 Posted on Nov 13, 2012 9:44 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Peter Erskine is in residency at my university part of this week. Yesterday I attended his masterclass. He spent time talking about his career, especially his time with Weather Report and Steely Dan. He's a great, funny storyteller. He also covered some practical drumming advice, such as making quarter notes swing - he said it's all about the intent with which you play them and how much you feel the subdivisions around the quarters. I loved that. I also met him, shook his hand, and got his autograph. Awesome.

Tonight he played with a local high school all-star jazz orchestra and the university's top jazz ensemble. With the college group, the set ran through his career, hitting a Stan Kenton piece, a trio of Weather Report tunes, and one of his own, called "Scotland, Africa." He played with vigor, finesse, and musicality. It was a great listening and learning experience.

I can't wait for his last masterclass tomorrow!

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

StillKicken

No. 2 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:28 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
WoW!!

Just to be able to sit and listen; awesome!!

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
pwc

No. 3 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:56 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
He did some clinics here once which I missed but I have a complete collection of his tuition vids in which he comes across as a very humble, likeable, knowledgable and all round nice guy that I would love to meet. Great drummer too. Hope you gained as much as I have from his advice.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
technique2012

No. 4 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:00 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I envy you, dude. But who I still really wish I also could have met was Joe Morello. I'd be extremely jealous of that high school though...

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 5 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:24 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Unfortunately I didn't attend his last masterclass today as I wasn't feeling well, but I definitely learned a lot from him and will try to apply what I took from him to better myself.

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

OldFart

Mapex

No. 6 Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:07 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
HuskerFan wrote:
Unfortunately I didn't attend his last masterclass today as I wasn't feeling well, but I definitely learned a lot from him and will try to apply what I took from him to better myself.

Shame that occurred, but you still had and have something the larger audience didn't get. I deeply respect his abilities.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Pearl57

No. 7 Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:57 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I had the pleasure of going to his masterclasses 2 days in a row @ George Mason Univ...years ago...Inspiring and uplifting....

Also did a masterclass with Roy Burns....Hihat work was sickening...

Pearl57

No. 8 Posted on Nov 17, 2012 8:23 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I had the pleasure of going to his masterclasses 2 days in a row @ George Mason Univ...years ago...Inspiring and uplifting....

Also did a masterclass with Roy Burns....Hihat work was sickening...

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 24 milliseconds