Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

DRUM MICS
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster DRUM MICS
drumster15

No. 1 Posted on Nov 12, 2012 10:12 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well seeing as how I am saving up to buy a kit..I ended up getting talked into buying Mics first for the kit I currently use to make it sound sick and what not..but my problem is I have no idea which mics to get...I researched a few mics and I wanna know what you guys think are they good for recording in inside spaces like a church, and are they good for sound in a wide open areas, will they last me?... here is the list of mics I found that interested me more..
Beta 52- bass drum mic
Sm57- Snare mic
SM81 or SM 137- hi hat mic
ksm 32- over head mics
SM57- Toms mic
Thanks for reading this..

RvJim

Reverend

No. 2 Posted on Nov 12, 2012 11:16 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
drumster15 wrote:
Well seeing as how I am saving up to buy a kit..I ended up getting talked into buying Mics first for the kit I currently use to make it sound sick and what not..but my problem is I have no idea which mics to get...I researched a few mics and I wanna know what you guys think are they good for recording in inside spaces like a church, and are they good for sound in a wide open areas, will they last me?... here is the list of mics I found that interested me more..
Beta 52- bass drum mic
Sm57- Snare mic
SM81 or SM 137- hi hat mic
ksm 32- over head mics
SM57- Toms mic
Thanks for reading this..

I wouldn't go the SM57's for the toms. The bulk will drive you mental and the tone may be a bit short sounding. Sennheiser e904s or e604s are a really good sounding not too expensive tom mic. TO begin with, if money is a concern, I wouldn't bother with the hat mics, you likely won't need them. Don't go cheap on the overheads, I am unfamiliar with the KSM 32 and hence will not comment on them; but, recorded in a good room, you will likely pull a very large amount of your kit sound from overheads and hence it is worth investing in -- I have AKG C451's and they are amazing.

Ode to Hisato

This was recorded with, 2 AKG C451 overheads, Sennheisser e904's on the toms, a little AKG pencil mic on the hats (can't recall the model), an AKG D112 kick drum mic and an SM57 on the snare.

Most of the kit sound is from the overheads, with the thump of the toms from the tom mics.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
pwc

No. 3 Posted on Nov 13, 2012 12:15 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If you want to do it on a budget look at these ...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753970-REG/CAD_STAGE4_4_Piece_Drum_Microphone_Pack.html/c/product/#inpageBlushN+STOCK

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
drumster15

No. 4 Posted on Nov 13, 2012 10:28 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks for the info appreciate it and budget is not really that much of a problem just something in the middle not to cheap and not to pricey but the mics seem about fair...I will check em out though

Kaleidoscope

No. 5 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:28 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
make sure your recording setup is adequate. If your doing recording and not live sound amplication, you could be loosing your quality mic sound when run through cheap pre-amps and cables. I have a beta52 that has served me well for 5-6 years now. I use some other budget mics to get through my little demos. I unfortunately do not have a multitracking setup. I have had my kit micd up with some mojave ma-200s(overheads), run through a universal audio preamp into a protools unit. SAWEEEEET

say cheese
"Hi ... my name is Kaleidoscope and I'm a Zildji-holic."
StillKicken

No. 6 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:15 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've been kinda' looking for one of these in Pawn Shops:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/audix-d6-sub-impulse-kick-drum-mic

New at $200.00 seems a little much for one mic and I've looked at kit options, for the buck is a better deal but that is a $500 buck or more. LOL!! And most of the time I'll only be using the D6 when needed. Confused

Not too long ago I talked to a semi-pro sound man that had all his Sure microphone inventory stolen. One of the Music companies in Austin helped him back on his feet with a time payment plan and selling him Audix microphones. He said, although they have good mic's he would never go back to Sure. Personal preference? Probably!

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
OldFart

Mapex

No. 7 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:24 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Just a side note :

Most of these mics, especially the condensers used for Overheads, can be put to other audio uses.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
RvJim

Reverend

No. 8 Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:20 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:
I've been kinda' looking for one of these in Pawn Shops:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/audix-d6-sub-impulse-kick-drum-mic

New at $200.00 seems a little much for one mic and I've looked at kit options, for the buck is a better deal but that is a $500 buck or more. LOL!! And most of the time I'll only be using the D6 when needed. Confused

Not too long ago I talked to a semi-pro sound man that had all his Sure microphone inventory stolen. One of the Music companies in Austin helped him back on his feet with a time payment plan and selling him Audix microphones. He said, although they have good mic's he would never go back to Sure. Personal preference? Probably!

sherm

Audix make good gear. I have to agree though, that mostly Shure equipment is over-rated. The SM57 is a fantastic work horse microphone and the Beta 52 is fantastic kick mic, but a lot of the rest of their line is somewhat lacking compared to the rest of the market. AKG make IMO better products at the same price as Shure, and RODE make good microphones to that might be worth looking into. The RODE NT5 overheads are good mics if you don't want to shell out for the more expensive options (such as the AKG C451's).

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 9 Posted on Nov 20, 2012 7:26 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have an Audix vocal mic that has been very dependable, sturdy, and sounds crisp but full compared to the rest of the band's shure mics.

Anyone know if the mini-mics are just as good as the others?

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....
OldFart

Mapex

No. 10 Posted on Nov 20, 2012 4:39 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKickinIt wrote:
I have an Audix vocal mic that has been very dependable, sturdy, and sounds crisp but full compared to the rest of the band's shure mics.

Anyone know if the mini-mics are just as good as the others?

I have NO experience with drum mics, but do pay pretty close attention when discussions arise.

I've listened pretty carefully to conversations about Snare mics, where on one side you have the Shure SM57 crowd ( which is about 60-65% of the users). On the other side I hear the most from Audix i5 users. Each one make compelling cases for their mic of choice.

Further for Snare mic'ing : There are those in the Small Diaphragm Condenser crowd which appear to be the smallest group ( I'm guessing it's because condensers are sensitive enough to require some finesse, which comes from purposeful use and experience).

The discussion ( verbal fight? ) involving the SM57 and the Audix i5 seems to be a lively encounter.

Nevertheless, all this is interesting in my view. So I continue to pay attention.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
StillKicken

No. 11 Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:17 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
I have NO experience with drum mics, but do pay pretty close attention when discussions arise.

I've listened pretty carefully to conversations about Snare mics, where on one side you have the Shure SM57 crowd ( which is about 60-65% of the users). On the other side I hear the most from Audix i5 users. Each one make compelling cases for their mic of choice.

Further for Snare mic'ing : There are those in the Small Diaphragm Condenser crowd which appear to be the smallest group ( I'm guessing it's because condensers are sensitive enough to require some finesse, which comes from purposeful use and experience).

The discussion ( verbal fight? ) involving the SM57 and the Audix i5 seems to be a lively encounter.

Nevertheless, all this is interesting in my view. So I continue to pay attention.

LOL!! You should have been a politician!

I guess it's drum heads and sticks all personal preference.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 28 milliseconds