Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Re:Bass Drum Head?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Bass Drum Head?
Tmitchellbrown

No. 1 Posted on Oct 28, 2012 6:17 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
What would y'all recommend for a good bass drum head? I'm looking for something punchy and controlled. The Remo equivalent to the Evans Emad 2.

RvJim

Reverend

No. 2 Posted on Oct 28, 2012 7:28 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
A PS3 ?

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
OldFart

Mapex

No. 3 Posted on Oct 28, 2012 8:20 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Perhaps also give some consideration to the Remo PowerStroke 4

Bass head. Don't have it now, but I've used it (Clear version) and like it.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
paul

paulmiller

No. 4 Posted on Oct 29, 2012 10:10 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If you like the Emad, why not buy one of those?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

technique2012

No. 5 Posted on Oct 29, 2012 3:21 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
If you like the Emad, why not buy one of those?

I use Emads and I think when you look for the "equivalent" of something, you just want to play the same thing under the identity of something else. If you like what you have, why change names? So far, I just see you looking for a difference of changing the letters that are on your drum head. Not that worth it. However, I would have a completely different opinion if you were trying a different style of head from what you typically use.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Tmitchellbrown

No. 6 Posted on Oct 29, 2012 7:37 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
True true. I'm trying to stick with brand loyalty here. Just think it looks more professional. Plus, I'm not totally enthralled with the Emad... As far as the power strokes go, I've had the powerstroke 2 and don't recall being to big a fan. What's the difference between the 2, 3, and 4?

OldFart

Mapex

No. 7 Posted on Oct 29, 2012 10:41 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Tmitchellbrown wrote:
True true. I'm trying to stick with brand loyalty here. Just think it looks more professional. Plus, I'm not totally enthralled with the Emad... As far as the power strokes go, I've had the powerstroke 2 and don't recall being to big a fan. What's the difference between the 2, 3, and 4?

PowerStroke 2 ... ?

PowerStroke 3 ... An Ambassador (10 mil) thick head with a 3 mil 3" or 4" ring bonded around the outside (over the bearing edge).

PowerStroke 4 ... A two-ply ( 7 mil per ply ) Batter but with the 3 mil ring borrowed from the PowerStroke 3 head. So, it's basically an Emperor Bass Head with a PowerStroke 3 "overring control" bonded to it.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
TheLemonAid

No. 8 Posted on Oct 30, 2012 2:54 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've been using the Remo Powersonic drumhead on my bass drum batter for a while now. My drumset is in my basement, I am not using any mics on it, but I do get a very punchy and controlled sound out of it.

I've had difficulties trying to get a similar punch out of a Powerstroke 3 or 4, but it is possible. I think an important thing to mention is that, a Powerstroke 3 or 4 would be easier to mic up , in respect of controlling the attack and damping. The Powersonic has a lot of damping on the head as it comes out of the factory and the attack could be too dominant, when miced up. Whereas a Powerstroke leaves more room for controlling the attack and damping of the head that you desire.

So, if you're looking for punch and control and you're just drumming at home, I recommend the Powersonic. But if you do play gigs, I think one of the powerstrokes should do the deal.

Cheers!

Funny or interesting drum-related video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=6frNG86EMDQ&NR=1
(New video every now and then just for entertainment :) )
paul

paulmiller

No. 9 Posted on Oct 30, 2012 9:22 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If you want to change your bass drum sound, get a Remo or Evans single ply head with no muffling. Then add muffling until you get the sound you want.

I've often muffled with a piece of terry cloth folded once or twice and taped to the head with packing or duct tape. It's easily enlarged or shrunk, and you can move it around for different effects. It's also cheaper.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

OldFart

Mapex

No. 10 Posted on Oct 30, 2012 9:48 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
If you want to change your bass drum sound, get a Remo or Evans single ply head with no muffling. Then add muffling until you get the sound you want.

I've often muffled with a piece of terry cloth folded once or twice and taped to the head with packing or duct tape. It's easily enlarged or shrunk, and you can move it around for different effects. It's also cheaper.

I have a PowerStroke 3-type Batter head, but put a Single-ply Reso head on with an old-school felt strip.

So, in essence, one can use different map routes to arrive at or very near a particular destination.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
StillKicken

No. 11 Posted on Nov 3, 2012 6:16 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
So, in essence, one can use different map routes to arrive at or very near a particular destination.

That's so very true. I recently converted a 16x18" floor tom to a bass drum and installed two Fiberskyn PS3's. At first I thought I had made a mistake with that choice of heads. Over time tweaking the reso and batter it got better and better. Last week I made a spontaneous purchase(LOL) of a Tune-Bot electronic drum tuner. I re-tuned the bass while learning how to use the thing; I now have this very low robust tone that you would never think would come from a drum so small with lots of punch. The destination that OldFart was talking about in my case was a tighter reso and a much lower tuned batter head. I also use a hand towel for minor adjustments.

I've said in the past that it's all about tuning. I don't feel it matters too much which drum head you buy until it gets to the extreme. Yes they all have their caricaturists for a reason, you should buy for that reason. Remember the more muffled a head is the less it can or needs be tuned.

sherm

StillKicken edited on Nov 3, 2012 6:22 PM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Tmitchellbrown

No. 12 Posted on Nov 3, 2012 8:22 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
There's no powerstroke 2? I remember buying something Remo with a 2 in it... Anyways, knowing the plies is helpful. I'll have to try the 3 and see how it holds up. Thanks!

drumster15

No. 13 Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:07 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've tried the powerstrokes I gotta say 3 is pretty good and the Pro has won my attention why not check out the powerstroke pro personally it gives you what you want if your into that punchish thump sound...

OldFart

Mapex

No. 14 Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:10 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
drumster15 wrote:
I've tried the powerstrokes I gotta say 3 is pretty good and the Pro has won my attention why not check out the powerstroke pro personally it gives you what you want if your into that punchish thump sound...

I've used the Clear PowerStroke 3, and the Coated Equivalent, Clear PowerStroke 4 and a Coated PowerSonic. I've liked each one.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Tmitchellbrown

No. 15 Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:01 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm gonna try the PowerStroke 3. Then, depending on how I like that, I'll try out either the PS 4 or the Pro.

pwc

No. 16 Posted on Nov 6, 2012 9:25 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I am sure that incremental niceties can be extracted from a given head but I have found that tuning and minimal muffling works well also - regardless of the head used on a bass drum .....

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
drumster15

No. 17 Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:54 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I currently have nothing inside the bass drum since the powerstroke pro has been muffled correct me if I am mistaken but yeah its an option if you hate having stuff inside your bass drum...not sure how you would tune it though I have mine really low like only 2 full turns from finger tight not sure it thats low but yeah...check it out ask someone on here how to tune and get the best of that head if you end up getting it....

Tmitchellbrown

No. 18 Posted on Nov 20, 2012 9:24 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hmm. With my bass drum (18x24 Ludwig Classic Maple) I can't really do without muffling. I have a decent sized pillow in there and have it tuned about 2 turns up from the tightest I can get it with my fingers. Just trying to see what else I can do...

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 44 milliseconds