Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

How to tune a snare drum
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
Poster How to tune a snare drum
StillKicken

No. 1 Posted on Oct 13, 2012 6:59 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The old batter head just laid down and died. You know how that happens from time to time.

So I had some free time this week and figured this is the time to make the change; next week it's five nights and I hate to play a gig with a newly installed drum head. Tuesday evening was a good time to make the change, but this time is a little different.

This is how I tuned my snare drum: Big Smile

Opened the truck and Opened the tailgate.
Pulled the snare drum out on the tailgate and took it out of the case.
Removed the old head; after first removing the Lug bolts. Big Smile
Cleaned the rim and bearing edge.
Reinstalled the new head (not the old one!) with Lug bolts.
Tightened the bolts finger tight.
With Drum Key, turned the lugs down 2.5 turns in 1/2 turn increments using the star pattern.
Using the Tama Drum Dial tuned it to a reading of 80 rather than a normal 70 or even 75.
Put the drum back in the case.
Pushed it back in the bed of the truck.
Closed the tailgate and cover.
Locked the tailgate and cover.

Two things I did not do; I did not use a drum stick and I did not stretch the drum head during the tightening process. I just left it in the truck to bake.

Thursday I pulled it out for a gig and it sounded great. It had a nice snappy sound a little less than choke, almost dead in the center, nice tone 1/2 way out and ringing at the edge just the way I like it. I have yet to touch a lug. I think it will be ready for five nights next week.

I'm not advocating that you bake you drums but that is whats happening when stored in a vehicle. I'm leaving the head to stretch naturally, by using the extra tight tuning and the heat, I feel it helps it to stretch more evenly over time.

I have installed heads in the past with out per-stretching with good results; to each his own.

You have a great day,
sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System

Topic thread
Hits Subject Poster Chars Posted on
1879 How to tune a snare drum StillKicken 1852 Oct 13, 2012 6:59 AM

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 11 milliseconds