Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Fill ideas
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Fill ideas
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Sep 25, 2012 7:40 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm only a middle school drummer and though I'm considered relatively good for my age, my fills are weak. Very, very weak. All I have are fast single strokes and flams. What do you do for your fills?

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
technique2012

No. 2 Posted on Sep 25, 2012 7:41 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Sorry, I posted this topic twice! Ignore this one and respond to the first one! So sorry!

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
pwc

No. 3 Posted on Sep 25, 2012 7:51 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
There are hundreds of videos on YouTube related to fills.
&b stroke rolls, paradiddles around the kit and so much more.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
RvJim

Reverend

No. 4 Posted on Sep 25, 2012 11:12 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I say worry about it less and practise your rudiments with a metronome. Fills will come naturally once you start playing with out musicians more. But, unless you can play them in time and have the rudiments to do anything they will sound bad.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
knightcrawler

No. 5 Posted on Sep 26, 2012 6:12 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
I say worry about it less and practise your rudiments with a metronome. Fills will come naturally once you start playing with out musicians more. But, unless you can play them in time and have the rudiments to do anything they will sound bad.

Agreed. Fills will come naturally, but musically.

Singlestroker

No. 6 Posted on Sep 27, 2012 1:02 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
knightcrawler wrote:
Agreed. Fills will come naturally, but musically.

I think that depends on what you mean by “natural”.

At my ability level at least, patience certainly pays off. Things that I simply couldn’t do a couple of years ago are now a matter of practising for a reasonably short period, whereas I couldn’t master them however many hours I tried to force them into my brain. I’m talking about rudiments, fills and all kinds of combinations of all four limbs. As I have gained in competence and confidence in what I already did, the ability to tackle the harder stuff seems to have come along without my worrying over my difficulties. Was that natural? Possibly.

When it comes to playing fills at a gig, I may well deviate from what I had in mind beforehand. I might occasionally ad lib quite a lot. However, what I do play I will already know I can play – even if I haven’t put the exact fills or other combinations together before . Their component-parts will come from my “library” of rudiments - both “official” and personal. They will have been well practised, and will rarely be completely off the top of my head. That just invites stumbles such as being caught on the wrong hand when moving to the next drum, cymbal, etc. I wouldn’t say that these combinations come naturally.

Perhaps it takes a certain amount of natural ability –aptitude – to be able to get to do these things at all, but I don’t think that means that fills come naturally. In my case, anyway, they come from practice.

If there are any prodigies out there who can do the completely-unthought-of at will, then I kneel before them.

mrpercussive

No. 7 Posted on Sep 28, 2012 3:51 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
stop thinking of them as fills...
start thinking of them as counterpoint melodies... Smile

Check out my website...
www.pohsoonteng.com

StillKicken

No. 8 Posted on Sep 29, 2012 6:03 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
But, unless you can play them in time...

Remember that!!

You need to know where one is. No mater if your fills are good or just...well, whatever level of expertise a fill is played at, the first beat on the following measure better be on one.

The feeling of the song dictates the fill and if you can not feel the song and the beat then you are driving a runaway train going down hill.

Good luck with it and have fun,
sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 9 Posted on Oct 11, 2012 6:48 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Just keep in mind that sometimes "less is more".

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 28 milliseconds