Remo
DrumTalk » Drum Talk

Guitar Center Drum Off. My Experience
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Guitar Center Drum Off. My Experience
knightcrawler

No. 1 Posted on Sep 25, 2012 4:35 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well, I got back from the first round of the Guitar Center's drum off. I didn't make it through but the experience is well worth it.

I came out feeling a sense of accomplishment because I was nervous as heck doing something like this. The weird thing is though is I have played with local bands and I have done local gigs without any nerves and I have never been nervous at an audition for a band.

I got a lot of comments saying that my playing is smooth, so that's always a plus.

I wouldn't call it a real competition because musicality is pretty much non-existent. Not one drummer played one solid groove, not one played any jazz stuff. It seemed like a chop-oriented competition. Maybe because it's the time? Only 3:00 minutes and there's a lot you need to "show off". Literally, it's just a "show off" competition for me.

I was able to enter to win a $1000 gift card so I hope I win that.

btw! Hi! I'm back on Remo. Musically things are fair. My kick pedal broke Sad I graduated with my Associates degree and now I'm job hunting. Thankfully I have money saved to last me for 2 years without a job.

pwc

No. 2 Posted on Sep 28, 2012 12:23 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've seen a few videos of these "drum-offs" on YouTube and it seems to me that none of the drumming greats of bygone era would have won since lots of flash and bash seem to be what's needed and groove and time irrelevant. I would not worry about not winning. It probably was because you got your drumming priorities right and that never should include a 3 minute flash in the pan.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Timekeep69

No. 3 Posted on Sep 29, 2012 6:16 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've been judging these competitions for about 5 years now. The first thing I can say is that it's a showoff competition. I don't really believe in competitive drumming anyway because it's all subjective. I've seen drummers compete who are really goos and others who can barely hold a beat. Typically I see drummers who put parts together that don't flow and it's play a part, hesitate, start next part, hesitate, finish.

StillKicken

No. 4 Posted on Sep 29, 2012 6:19 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I like "smooth" congratulations on the comments and congratulations on your educational achievement.

I agree with Peter and it sounds like you have your priorities lined up. Thumbs up

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 5 Posted on Oct 11, 2012 6:46 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Howdee.....

I went to one several years ago and agree musicality is not important....all about flash.

It might be interesting if there were two parts to the competition. First the flash, then play along with chosen audio. Hmmmm.....

But it was fun. I think the guy that could flip and twirl his sticks all over the place won. Got to admit it was cool and he rarely missed a beat.

Not for me and thank goodness I'm smart enough to know it! Big Smile

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 17 milliseconds