Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Kick drum sliding!! Help?!
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Kick drum sliding!! Help?!
knightcrawler

No. 1 Posted on Apr 27, 2014 6:15 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OK, for the past 3-4 gigs I have been experiencing my kick drum sliding. At least I think it's my kick drum. I am playing on a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit (love it) but on a gig I notice that my kick drum pedal (Mapex Falcon single pedal) comes off after the first song and I have to put it back on the kick.

Any pointers?

Singlestroker

No. 2 Posted on Apr 28, 2014 12:21 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I carry a mat to every gig. The BD sits on the front and the stool on the back of the mat. Nothing moves.

knightcrawler

No. 3 Posted on Apr 28, 2014 3:14 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I use a carpet.

Singlestroker

No. 4 Posted on Apr 29, 2014 1:58 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
knightcrawler wrote:
I use a carpet.

You are a man (or woman) of few words, are you not?

If you'd said what you already did, then no one would have wasted time suggesting a mat!

Over here in the UK a mat is a portable item, while a carpet is something rather more difficult to get around. What you think the difference is, I am not at all sure.

technique2012

No. 5 Posted on Apr 29, 2014 4:24 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Double check that you have the bass drum spikes down on the carpet. That can help too.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
paul

paulmiller

No. 6 Posted on Apr 29, 2014 7:46 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
knightcrawler wrote:
......I notice that my kick drum pedal (Mapex Falcon single pedal) comes off after the first song and I have to put it back on the kick.

If I'm understanding this correctly the pedal and drum are separating during play. Either the drum is moving forward or the pedal is moving back. Sounds to me like the pedal clamp is not tight on the hoop.

Your drum may also be sliding on your rug. If your spurs are not actually penetrating the rug sufficiently the drum will slide.

paul edited on Apr 29, 2014 7:48 AM

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

OldFart

Mapex

No. 7 Posted on Apr 29, 2014 8:35 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
Double check that you have the bass drum spikes down on the carpet. That can help too.

One of the commercially available Drum Mats ... has a block fashioned into the fabric which is intended to work much like a wheel stop would for auto parking.

Not to put you on the spot, but perhaps this mat would work for you. Or you could imitate it by securing a small block of wood atop what you're already using.

Secondly, I've had that same problem which was solved by a stout rug with very low pile. The spurs seem to grab more confidently, pressing through to the underlayment .

I've also had a related problem on the other end of the spectrum -

I try to keep sort of a buffer between the bottom of the works of the Hi-Hat and bass Pedal from marring finer woods or discoloring any carpeting that's there (mostly in private homes). So my customary approach is to lay my drum rug down on their carpeting and piece my kit together over that. A nicely padded bit of carpeting is the downfall, though. There's way too much 'cush' under the pedals (the bass pedal, for sure).

When that has happened I get in a quandary. I don't wish to mar someone's flooring; yet I can't cope with a pedal which loses energy before the Beater hits the Bass head. There, where the batter side of the drum connects to the pedal, it indeed reacts to playing energy. Controlled input, however, does not yield a consistent and controlled output. It's a huge distraction which only makes matters worse.

Moral of the story is don't go overboard with the Rug/Mat. It's supremely useful, but there really seems to be an absolute limit even to that Smile

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
StillKicken

No. 8 Posted on Apr 30, 2014 4:28 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I think you have a problem with the pedal clamp. If you haven't had problems with the bass drum sliding in the past I would examine the pedal clamp a little closer there may be a cracked bolt, tightening screw or a piece of hardware that may be giving just enough to slip off the rim.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Singlestroker

No. 9 Posted on May 1, 2014 7:56 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:
I think you have a problem with the pedal clamp. If you haven't had problems with the bass drum sliding in the past I would examine the pedal clamp a little closer there may be a cracked bolt, tightening screw or a piece of hardware that may be giving just enough to slip off the rim.

sherm

Coming to think of it, I had to abandon a pedal because the mounting lug moulded into the frame-casting to locate the swivel pin for the clamp had broken off. It might be worth checking for that.

Andy

No. 10 Posted on May 14, 2014 2:29 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've never had a problem with the dreaded "kick drum slide". My secret: simply extend those spurs as far as they go and drive them deep into the carpet. It works every time.

I recently auditioned a drummer to fill in for me this Summer when I'll be out of town with my job. She did a great job and we hired her. One weird thing though, she had problems with bass drum creep and had no idea that her drum even had spurs. I showed her and extended them for her. She was utterly amazed and didn't even know these things existed.

knightcrawler

No. 11 Posted on Jun 5, 2014 9:32 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I totally forgot I start this! lol

Umm

Yeah, I'm a man of many words when I don't have much to say lol. It's my bass drum that is sliding forward.

It's actually fine now. 4 gigs straight and no slide. I play on a Gretsch Catalina Maple.

Singlestroker

No. 12 Posted on Jun 6, 2014 2:47 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
knightcrawler wrote:
I totally forgot I start this! lol

Umm

Yeah, I'm a man of many words when I don't have much to say lol. It's my bass drum that is sliding forward.

It's actually fine now. 4 gigs straight and no slide. I play on a Gretsch Catalina Maple.

First of all, I apologise. I was unnecessarily grumpy, and I could have made the point without that.

Nevertheless, I cannot escape mentioning that the point does still apply. Originally, you did not say what you had already done to try to correct the problem, and you thereby left everyone guessing. Now, after several forum members have made suggestions, you say that it is no longer a problem. As you haven't told those who have tried to help you how you solved it, no one will learn anything from your thread.

knightcrawler

No. 13 Posted on Jun 6, 2014 6:28 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
First of all, when I said I use a carpet, it was a reply from you saying that you use a mat. My apologies for not making a complete sentence, but I used a carpet and still had the problem which is why I posted.

Yes, everything is fine, but that is a simple statement that speaks for itself better than my, "I use a carpet."

I don't know how I fixed it or even if I did. The only thing I know is that I lowered the kicked drum closer to the floor, made it a little even using a leveler, and I centered my kick drum pedal far better than before. Again, I don't know which one fixed it.

knightcrawler edited on Jun 6, 2014 8:08 AM

Singlestroker

No. 14 Posted on Jun 6, 2014 1:54 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It's good to hear that it is all working for you now. It goes to show that little mechanical differences in setup that seem like nothing can be disastrous if they catch us out in the middle of a gig.

I've had something that I suppose could be quite similar. My Premier EDP bass drum pedal has a quick-release facility, whereby a bracket stays permanently on the BD hoop. The pedal slips on and off the bracket, saving time. That's the theory anyway. The problem is that the BD spurs have to be set at a specific level for the pedal to function without fouling the tip of my shoe. Therefore, time saved by the quick-release is offset by having to fiddle around making sure that the pedal will work properly.

Good luck and best wishes.

Crusher

No. 15 Posted on Jun 26, 2014 10:06 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I had a similar issue many years ago. The problem turned out to be a worn clamp but with very few options available to me I simply added a small piece of wood to the rim with tape and it held fine for many years.

Musicians Wisdom

Communicate! It can't make things any worse.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 49 milliseconds