Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

How to play washboard?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster How to play washboard?
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Apr 1, 2014 1:38 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have to accompany a group by playing washboard and I have absolutely no experience with it. I don't even have the correct materials to play a washboard or a washboard, but I want to learn in advance so that I'm ready with the concepts when I do get the washboard. Has anyone else played the washboard before? I just need to learn the general basics.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Singlestroker

No. 2 Posted on Apr 2, 2014 4:18 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
You have asked the question at just the right time. My brass band is playing Pasadena soon, and the written part is boring.

I just love the Temperance Seven version, so I naturally went straight to their version to see how their drummer did it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=RDD0UdkKH-0Es&v=D0UdkKH-0Es

I could never get on with the washboard using the usual sewing thimble, so itís lain idle for the five years Iíve had it. I had also assumed that Iíd have to hold is against my body, so it would be difficult to switch between it and the drum kit. How unimaginative I was!

The Temperance Seven gave me the answer in this video of another recording of theirs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcelC9xFl9A&list=RDD0UdkKH-0Es

As you can see, the washboard is horizontal, and the drummer is playing it with the tips of his sticks. The playing consists of drags along the ribs, and taps. As with any percussion, getting the optimum sound is a matter of experimentation with stick weights and stroke-pressure. The dexterity and fineness of touch that you already have from playing drums will take you a long way, especially if youíve done some light jazz drumming.

By the way, before I tried it, stupid though it was, I used to assume that this sort of playing was easy. That percussionist (or the session percussionist if that was the case) was an artist in his own right!

Singlestroker

No. 3 Posted on Apr 2, 2014 6:00 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
A couple of points to add:

If you're mic'ing your equipment, this probably won't apply, but it will be of interest to drummers that play unplugged. , it is of interest. Laying the washboard on the snare drum with snares off drum amplifies it quite well. Using a different drum produces a different tone.

Music for snare drum can be read directly for the washboard. What would be press rolls can be played as drags on the washboard, and the rest exactly as if they were on the snare drum - apart from the absence of bounce, of course. If you get a hardwood-framed washboard, the sides and ends can be used to play woodblock effects.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 17 milliseconds