Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Plasti Dip my sticks?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Plasti Dip my sticks?
TwoCables

No. 1 Posted on Nov 29, 2013 11:28 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Now that it's winter here in Minnesota, I sometimes start practices and gigs with cold and dry hands which results in a slippery grip for me. I have thought about trying sticks like Vic Grip sticks, but then it occurred to me that I might be able to use Plasti Dip so that I can choose my own color.

What do you guys think of the idea?

(by the way, my actual join date is just a few days ago. I had a glitch during the Registration process and Ed fixed it for me.)

RvJim

Reverend

No. 2 Posted on Nov 30, 2013 2:39 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Personally, I need sticks to be perfectly weighted and gimmicks such as this make that impossible. Once you've developed a good technique that is nice and loose you won't want the additional friction either. But, to each their own.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Nov 30, 2013 5:30 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've haven't tried special sticks or dips. At my age(guess that's the reason)my skin gets so dry it's harder to hold on to the sticks at times. I found Gorilla Snoot at the drum shop and it's works for me. It's like the Tacky Finger stuff you use for paper at the office but heavy duty.

http://www.gorillasnotusa.com/

This stuff can be a mess during the summer months, the bottle MUST be stored flat top up. It melts and gets in to the threads of the lid and sometimes can not be opened without breaking the bottle.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
technique2012

No. 4 Posted on Nov 30, 2013 8:05 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I just use the grip tape from Pro-Mark if necessary. I like your idea though. I've never thought of it, though you might want to try it on a cheap pair of sticks first in order to see how much of the balance it compromises.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
pwc

No. 5 Posted on Nov 30, 2013 10:19 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I prefer unvarnished sticks which work for me and personally would not want to have any other kind of feeling in my hand when playing. Like Rv, I have a very loose grip (developed from jazz playing) and a strong fulcrum, I guess.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Andy

No. 6 Posted on Nov 30, 2013 5:03 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
No, you don't need that stuff. It will just get in the way.

In 30+ years of playing I think I dropped a stick on stage maybe twice. We all worry about dropping a stick, but hardly ever do it. Yeah, like Jim said, that dip stuff is just a gimmick.

TwoCables

No. 7 Posted on Nov 30, 2013 11:21 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
Personally, I need sticks to be perfectly weighted and gimmicks such as this make that impossible. Once you've developed a good technique that is nice and loose you won't want the additional friction either. But, to each their own.

I have to admit that the thought of the sticks not being able to spin freely in my hands doesn't seem very good, but I'm mostly trying to find a way to finally get through a winter here in Minnesota without having to deal with super dry and therefore super slippery hands for the first 30-60 minutes of band practices and gigs (although, gigs aren't as much of a problem because I'm sometimes warm from setting up). I'd use lotion, but I kinda hate lotion because I strongly prefer clean hands. It's tough being me. lol Smile

Maybe I'll give Vic Grip sticks another look. I looked at them once already, but I wasn't impressed. Of course, that might change when I try them on my drums or even on my practice pad.

I've also been looking into getting some gloves because I just cleaned my cymbals and I'm looking for an extremely easy way to keep them clean. Plus, with winter weather and extremely dry air upon us here in Minnesota, I have to do something to help give me some of my grip back so that I'm not having to squeeze harder than necessary just to avoid dropping either of my sticks.

StillKicken wrote:
I've haven't tried special sticks or dips. At my age(guess that's the reason)my skin gets so dry it's harder to hold on to the sticks at times. I found Gorilla Snoot at the drum shop and it's works for me. It's like the Tacky Finger stuff you use for paper at the office but heavy duty.

http://www.gorillasnotusa.com/

This stuff can be a mess during the summer months, the bottle MUST be stored flat top up. It melts and gets in to the threads of the lid and sometimes can not be opened without breaking the bottle.

sherm
Oh yeah, I tried Gorilla Snot once but I didn't like it at all. I think I have OCD of some kind. I don't even like using lotion! You're right though: the reason I'm looking into this is due to dry skin in the winter resulting in a greater difficulty of holding onto my sticks. Where it bothers me the most is rim-clicks or cross-sticking or whichever you may prefer to call it. With slightly sweaty hands, I barely have to grip the stick in order to pick it up off the snare drum; it's extremely easy and I feel that I can play anything I want. Now that winter weather is upon us here in Minnesota and we have extremely dry air, I'm finding cross-sticking to be a bit difficult once again because now I have to really hold onto the stick between my index and thumb in order to pick it up off the snare drum.

As I mentioned above, I'm also looking into gloves of some kind. I guess I just have unusually dry skin.

technique2012 wrote:
I just use the grip tape from Pro-Mark if necessary. I like your idea though. I've never thought of it, though you might want to try it on a cheap pair of sticks first in order to see how much of the balance it compromises.

Yeah, I've never used Plasti Dip before, so I don't know what it would be like. Perhaps the spray-on stuff would be better because then maybe I could just get a very thin coating on the sticks - but I don't know where I'd spray it in order to avoid making a mess.

I've also been looking into gloves, as I mentioned at the top of this reply. I admit that I would love to have a combination of gloves and some kind of grip on my sticks just like Carter Beauford, but that's not because I'm trying to emulate him; I just think that it's a good idea for me to try in the winter. That way, if I want to take my gloves off due to sweating too much in the middle of a gig or practice, then my sticks still have grip on them if my hands start getting dry and slippery again later on. lol Yeah, it's tough being me! Smile

On the internet only so far, I've looked at a lot of gloves made specifically for drumming and so far I'm liking Pro-Mark's gloves the most. However, I'm also thinking about golf gloves or even football gloves.

pwc wrote:
I prefer unvarnished sticks which work for me and personally would not want to have any other kind of feeling in my hand when playing. Like Rv, I have a very loose grip (developed from jazz playing) and a strong fulcrum, I guess.

Yeah, I have to admit that I'm expecting this to throw me off a little for a while, but with as dry and as slippery as my hands get this time of year, I feel that it's high time I do something about it.

Andy wrote:
No, you don't need that stuff. It will just get in the way.

In 30+ years of playing I think I dropped a stick on stage maybe twice. We all worry about dropping a stick, but hardly ever do it. Yeah, like Jim said, that dip stuff is just a gimmick.

I'm not concerned about dropping sticks, I'm concerned about my hands being too dry and slippery this time of year here in Minnesota which makes it harder to play - at least until my hands start sweating a little bit, which can sometimes take 30-60 minutes into a gig or a practice. Unfortunately though, that sometimes never happens at practice due to not working hard enough, and that sometimes results in going through an entire practice with dry and slippery hands (which is very frustrating and sometimes results in the "iron thumb"). Even at a gig when coming back from break, my hands sometimes go back to being dry and slippery and it can take a good half an hour for them to become slightly sweaty again.

So, I guess this is mostly me looking for a winter solution.

I wouldn't call things like Vic Grip and Zildjian's DIP a "gimmick" because there are top-name professionals who swear by it.

TwoCables edited on Nov 30, 2013 11:25 PM

Andy

No. 8 Posted on Dec 1, 2013 4:25 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
By the way, welcome to the forum. We'll do our best to help you out.

TwoCables

No. 9 Posted on Dec 1, 2013 4:39 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Aw, thank you Andy. I'll do my best to help out as well, at lest where I can.

TwoCables

No. 10 Posted on Dec 3, 2013 10:06 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
After lots of research and thinking, I placed an order for Pro-Mark's Bionic Drummer's Gloves. After looking around for the past few days, they seemed to me to be the best for what I'm looking for.

What I'm hoping for is for these to be a good winter solution, at least for when my hands are cold and dry instead of being warm and grippy. That way, I can wear them and then take them off later in my performance - or leave them on if I end up loving them that much. We'll see.

Andy

No. 11 Posted on Dec 4, 2013 3:14 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Let us know how they work out. You may want to give them some serious time so you can get used to them. Personally, I don't want anything on my hands (gloves, watch, ring, etc..) when I'm playing the drums. It's pretty cold sometimes playing drums in my barn that's heated just with a kerosene heater, and I haven't dropped sticks in a long time. I do, nevertheless, want you to write back and let me know how wrong I am! Smile

TwoCables

No. 12 Posted on Dec 4, 2013 3:42 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
Let us know how they work out. You may want to give them some serious time so you can get used to them. Personally, I don't want anything on my hands (gloves, watch, ring, etc..) when I'm playing the drums. It's pretty cold sometimes playing drums in my barn that's heated just with a kerosene heater, and I haven't dropped sticks in a long time. I do, nevertheless, want you to write back and let me know how wrong I am! Smile

I'm not concerned about dropping sticks, I'm trying to make it easier to relax my hands when my hands are cold and dry. When they're cold and dry, they're extra slippery. When they're extra slippery, I have to squeeze harder and that makes all of my playing more difficult.

I also ordered Sex Wax For Drummers last night on an impulse because it was $3.00 shipped from Interstate Music and I've been hearing lots and lots of good things about it. I'm quite determined to have a tacky grip this winter. There's almost nothing worse for me than spending the first 30-60 minutes of a band practice with cold and dry hands. That even happened to me at our last gig, but it's usually much less likely to happen at gigs because I'm usually warm from setting up and I also try to spend at least 15-20 minutes on my practice pad before we start.

So, I'm not worried about dropping sticks, although that did happen to me 3 times at our last practice because of my cold and dry (slippery) hands. I'm just trying to find a way to get that grip that I achieve when my hands are already warm and somewhat damp (not slippery at all) from sweating a little bit. If this does it, then I'll have a good winter! I am also planning on continuing to use these through spring and summer of next year just to see how it goes.

TwoCables

No. 13 Posted on Dec 5, 2013 3:16 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My new gloves arrived today, and they are everything that I was hoping for and more! I love them! To recap, I bought the Pro-Mark Drummer's Gloves (or Pro-Mark Bionic Drummer's Gloves).

If you want a detailed review so that you can learn some of the details about why I like these gloves so much, then please tell me because I am mentally prepared for it. I have a lot to say. Smile For now, I'll just say it one more time: I LOVE THEM! I am extremely grateful to D'Addario and Pro-Mark for making them. The most important thing to me was the grip, and it's everything that I was hoping for. I am able to play with an extremely loose and relaxed grip now; far looser and more relaxed than normal and my gloves almost seem to hold on to the sticks for me. I love it! The best part: when I put them on for the first time today, I had cold and dry hands, so it was the perfect test. I only have my pad, but I was able to play immediately almost as though I had already warmed up a little bit. That's perfect! They're very comfortable too.

There's one more thing to mention right away though: I wouldn't use these for traditional grip. There isn't enough of this grippy leather they're using (top grade cabretta leather) in the crotch of the thumb and index finger (in the "fleshy" part, as Dave Weckl says). There's a little bit more of the breathable mesh than the leather in this critical area for traditional grip, and that results in very little grip there. When I tried traditional, the stick didn't want to stay in that fleshy part and it ended up slipping out. So, I would say that these sticks are strictly for matched grip. That's fine by me because I only play matched grip. I know how to play traditional on my pad to an extent thanks to learning from Dave Weckl's How to Develop Technique video and Jim Chapin's video, but I've never felt the desire to strengthen it and then bring it to the drums.

For me though, these gloves are absolutely perfect. They are exactly what I was looking for! I'm extremely happy with them.

Again, if you want me to go into detail, then let me know and I'll make another post.

TwoCables edited on Dec 5, 2013 3:19 PM

Jake_dgb

No. 14 Posted on Mar 12, 2014 6:09 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
One thing you may try is drummers gloves. I play really fast music and the friction of the sticks against my skin makes really bad caliscs and i tried gloves once and i noticed a little extra grip along with it.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 54 milliseconds