Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Fattest sounding heads?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Fattest sounding heads?
Roger71

No. 1 Posted on Nov 24, 2013 10:24 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Please recomend the fattest sounding heads..

RvJim

Reverend

No. 2 Posted on Nov 24, 2013 11:32 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
How fat the sound is is a function of tuning and perspective. Often when people say a 'fat sound' they mean a dead sound. In which case, coated pinstripes might be the go for you.

Personally, I use coated emperors over coated ambassadors on my kit. Gives a good amount of warmth and sustain whilst also having the durability to handle my heavy hand.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Andy

No. 3 Posted on Nov 30, 2013 5:12 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Jim is right. Tuning is really everything.

Generally, I go with clear ambassadors on my tom resos and Pinstripes on the batters.

Zeefour

No. 4 Posted on Mar 4, 2014 9:20 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Generally for me "Fat" sounds very heavy, quite dead and with almost no tone or resonance. There are two heads that come to mind, both are snare heads.

Remo Black X
Evans Hydraulic Blue

But crucially the actual tuning and snare wire tension can create a "fat" sound, there are a number of videos but the two that I swear by are these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_MOBn6Vtno

The first video is basically tune your reso head tight but don't choke it and then the batter head will begin to come alive even at a low tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmkAEKd6N6w

This second video is about using the snare tension and head tuning in combination to achieve the "fatness".

For Tom Heads I currently use the Black Suede Emp's on top and Black Seude Amb's on bottom but again most 2 ply heads will get you the fatness so long as you tune both batter and reso to the same pitch, this gives you maximum tone and resonance that can last for hours.

Good luck!

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 15 milliseconds