Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Long overdue ....
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Long overdue ....
pwc

No. 1 Posted on Nov 22, 2013 3:19 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
For all those who have had to unload their drum gear 100 yards from a venue comes this great idea ..... Smile

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
RvJim

Reverend

No. 2 Posted on Nov 22, 2013 3:35 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I like it!

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
technique2012

No. 3 Posted on Nov 22, 2013 2:26 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
That is GENIUS!!!!

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Singlestroker

No. 4 Posted on Nov 23, 2013 1:02 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yes, it's a good one! Perhaps similar could be printed on the mat that I lay down in the space that I clear for my drumkit on arrival at a venue. Then it might not be seen as a handy place for the Sousaphone player to offload his cases while he goes to hang up his coat and perhaps have a chat with other brass players! There again, perhaps I am too much of an optimist.

Singlestroker edited on Nov 23, 2013 5:06 AM

StillKicken

No. 5 Posted on Nov 23, 2013 9:19 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
Yes, it's a good one! Perhaps similar could be printed on the mat that I lay down in the space that I clear for my drumkit on arrival at a venue. Then it might not be seen as a handy place for the Sousaphone player to offload his cases while he goes to hang up his coat and perhaps have a chat with other brass players! There again, perhaps I am too much of an optimist.

OOOHH YES, in both places!!!

That's one of the reasons I show up two hours prior to start time. I don't know WHAT the guys are thinking; they just stack everything in the drummers area, then they move each item to the area where it belongs. "DOUBLE WORK"

Parking: Last Wednesday evening I show up (2 hours prior) and there is NO place to park; Valet parking ONLY. They are having a retirement for a high level individual from University of Texas in the back ballroom(we play up front), by the time I got unloaded there were no places to park. I had to park my truck two blocks away in drizzle weather.

Now get this. In one of the most prestigious dance halls in the world; they want a band for two hours but they don't want to pay a band. We play for tips and get free food. Dead That night we broke an all time record low of $9; we made $8. LOL!!

That's six hours of my time; not counting travel time to and from home; you do the math.

AND THEY DON'T STOP AND THINK ABOUT WHERE THE BAND MEMBERS ARE GOING TO PARK! And they don't care.

Sorry about the rant, I had to vent on somebody, thank you. LOL!!

Yes Pete, your picture is funny and I like it.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Andy

No. 6 Posted on Nov 23, 2013 6:04 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Sherm,

Like you, I always arrive early. I also coordinate ahead of time with both my guys and the venue to ensure there is, in fact, space for our stuff as well as parking. It's not just drum stuff but all the other band stuff as well.

As long as I've been playing, I've had a few distant parking spaces, but nothing as bad as you described. I'm OK playing free gigs as long as I'm not getting taken advantage of. Private parties, charity gigs, community events? Sure! Big, wealthy venue that's making money off my performance? No freaking way!

Pete's idea for a drummer parking space is "spot on." You have my vote. Smile

Andy edited on Nov 23, 2013 6:07 PM

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 22 milliseconds