Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Why is that?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Why is that?
StillKicken

No. 1 Posted on Nov 14, 2013 6:13 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Why is that?

Ever noticed when watching videos of drummers doing their thing and they have their heads turned to one side.

Why is that?

After watching a video the other day I noticed a drummer turning his head then an evening later I caught myself doing the same thing. LOL!! I didn't realize I do that.

Why is that? Do you do that?

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
pwc

No. 2 Posted on Nov 14, 2013 9:15 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yes. I turn way to the left. I guess it is related to a feeling of hearing better but I don't think it helps. It has now become a habit.

Of course, it could just be embarrassment due to not knowing the tunes .... Smile

pwc edited on Nov 15, 2013 7:01 AM

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Nov 16, 2013 9:48 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Just think what would happen if a Sax player did that.

sherm

Dave

No. 4 Posted on Nov 16, 2013 6:30 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I always turned my head to the right, meaning my left ear got all the abuse. It didn't surprise me that later in life, I don't have very good hearing out of my left ear.

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

pwc

No. 5 Posted on Nov 16, 2013 6:43 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Sorry, Dave, you will have to speak louder. What did you say ? ..... Clown

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Dave

No. 6 Posted on Nov 16, 2013 6:57 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
What? Did somebody say something?

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

Andy

No. 7 Posted on Nov 17, 2013 3:59 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I turn to look at band members while playing for cues to certain parts. Who I look at often depends on the song, but most of the time the singer is my "conductor."

StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 8 Posted on Nov 22, 2013 9:20 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Last night at practice (and from memory) I found I do the same thing. Usually I turn to the left.

I think one of the main reasons I do this is to hear the entire band and lose the visual cues to make sure the groove is tight and right. Groove by the overall sound, not looking at what others are doing.

That's my take on this. Big Smile

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....
technique2012

No. 9 Posted on Nov 22, 2013 2:25 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKickinIt wrote:
I think one of the main reasons I do this is to hear the entire band and lose the visual cues to make sure the groove is tight and right. Groove by the overall sound, not looking at what others are doing.

We had a clinician in January that came in to help my school's jazz ensemble. The clinician said I was doing all the right things except for the fact that it wasn't grooving and I wasn't with the bass. He told me to close my eyes and everything immediately sounded better. I agree with your strategy of eliminating visual cues.

As far as turning my head goes, my head is always turned to the left because in the jazz ensemble, my director is always slightly on the left field of my vision so I naturally turn my head to the left.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Singlestroker

No. 10 Posted on Nov 24, 2013 2:31 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
... He told me to close my eyes and everything immediately sounded better. I agree with your strategy of eliminating visual cues...

That's ok if you're not playing from written music, or if you have it all in memory despite the written music. We don't do a lot of rehearsal, and my memory isn't great, so I have to read on the night to quite some extent.

Singlestroker edited on Nov 24, 2013 2:35 AM

StillKicken

No. 11 Posted on Nov 24, 2013 6:07 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
That's ok if you're not playing from written music, or if you have it all in memory despite the written music. We don't do a lot of rehearsal, and my memory isn't great, so I have to read on the night to quite some extent.

That is true to an extent. I read music when playing Big Band style music. I'm think this could very similar to closing eyes or looking away. Looking at the music puts you in a listening mode the same way. We listen to the band/music to feel the style of the song being played. That's when everything just seems to jell together while your driving then through the fog.

Do you agree? Just a thought.

sherm

Singlestroker

No. 12 Posted on Nov 25, 2013 1:52 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:
... Looking at the music puts you in a listening mode the same way...

Do you agree? Just a thought.

sherm

We're probably thinking of two different things, Sherm. By visual cues, I mean visual signs that direct the music, such as the baton and hands of the conductor. Now I read technique2012's post again, I realise that he was probably referring to what, in this context, I would have called visual distractions. I had thought that he meant that he goes by the sound of the band alone.

Certainly, I blank out everything that is not about playing the music, whether reading or not. If I do let other things influence me, I am virtually guaranteed an under-par performance.

knightcrawler

No. 13 Posted on Dec 10, 2013 7:10 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I blame the Taco (Bell) neck syndrome. Well, at least for me.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 36 milliseconds