Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

New Mix
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster New Mix
RvJim

Reverend

No. 1 Posted on Oct 17, 2013 2:40 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Been slowly mixing music that was recorded about 4 years ago (drums almost 5 years ago) from my old band... I hate unfinished projects.

http://timothybodisco.com/jamroom/Throne.mp3

Latest song I've done. Complete home job, the recording cost us nothing but our time. Drums were done in a single take (first time). Using my DW's and 50th Anniversary REMO snare.

Let me know what you think.

Got another 4 to do in this series, I've previously posted:

http://timothybodisco.com/jamroom/Hisato.mp3

http://timothybodisco.com/jamroom/Romeo.mp3

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
pwc

No. 2 Posted on Oct 17, 2013 6:28 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Liked it !!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Andy

No. 3 Posted on Oct 22, 2013 5:43 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Wow! You're a pretty good drummer - quite a bit better than me! You have a much different style than me. I'm much simpler. I even had trouble drumming along at my desk to the bass drum beats during the verses. I would not be able to duplicate what you're doing very easily - maybe not at all. You've got an advanced and quick bass drum foot. If I were doing that song, I'd probably have simple ridden the initial verses on the ride cymbal. Your version is probably better though.

Lots of odd-time signatures. I'd probably have asked to change the song around to straight time for the sake of simplicity. The odd-time stuff was interesting but didn't really add anything to the song.

Bass drum: I might have added a little resonance to the mix. Just a tad "dead" but still a good match for the sound just too boxy for my tastes.

Snare Drum: In my opinion, too much high-end crack to the mix. Snare needed more "boom" and less "crack". Sounded a bit like a piccolo or perhaps a Stewart Copeland-esque snare. Still, it fit the song.

Toms: Utter perfection.

Cymbals: Sounded very good: sort of bright medium-thin, smallish crashes I'm guessing???? Nice bell sounds.

Andy edited on Oct 22, 2013 5:50 AM

Andy

No. 4 Posted on Oct 22, 2013 5:52 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
One question: Why is it that you Brits and Aussies can sing with no silly accent whatsoever but as soon as you start talking - there it is again!?!? Clown

RvJim

Reverend

No. 5 Posted on Oct 22, 2013 4:38 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks Andy.

Thanks for the compliments.

The girl singing was originally from the Phillipines and went to an international school run by Americans and has a somewhat American accent.

In terms of the mix, I was aiming for a dead thump for the kick to suit the feel of the guitars. Glad you liked the toms though, have to admit I did spend the most time getting them to sound just the way I wanted them Smile it also helped them being DW's Big Smile I really love my kit. The cymbals were a mix of sizes, the two main crashes I was using in that song we 18" and 16" and the ride was 20" (13" hats).

I'm also sure you can do anything, if you put the practise in Smile I wouldn't really call the foot work in that song fast -- I did invest serious time building up my feet and hands technique and coordination as a kid (everyday at least 20 minutes, before any other practise -- I did this for about 10-12 years). We really liked our odd time stuff in that act, this song was in 5 and 6. We had others that switched around between 6, 7, 9 and 4! The trick is to really try to rock out an odd signature and make it feel natural -- not really an easy task (especially in 7 and 9)!

Cheers,

Tim

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Andy

No. 6 Posted on Oct 23, 2013 3:34 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
So your singer had a bit of an American accent? Well... nobody's perfect! Smile

I've always struggled with odd time stuff. I can play it if I REALLY concentrate or if it's a song I've heard for years and have internalized. When I concentrate too hard on a song, I start to lose my groove and timing. You sounded very natural. Listening again, you're right: the bass notes might not have been that fast but they sure were in "hard to reach" places in the song. Odd time just isn't my forte and I'm always impressed with others who achieve it more naturally.

The vocalist was VERY good as well: a great natural talent.

Having a female band member would change my band's dynamic somewhat. When we're together, we pretty much act like a bunch of 5th graders. Having a lady in the band would change that somewhat. Having worked with female soldiers for decades - even living together in very close quarters during combat deployments and harsh field conditions, I know from experience that most adapt VERY well to working alongside a bunch of knuckle-dragging, immature and silly guys like us! Some behave worse than we do!

RvJim

Reverend

No. 7 Posted on Oct 25, 2013 3:56 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
So your singer had a bit of an American accent? Well... nobody's perfect! Smile

I've always struggled with odd time stuff. I can play it if I REALLY concentrate or if it's a song I've heard for years and have internalized. When I concentrate too hard on a song, I start to lose my groove and timing. You sounded very natural. Listening again, you're right: the bass notes might not have been that fast but they sure were in "hard to reach" places in the song. Odd time just isn't my forte and I'm always impressed with others who achieve it more naturally.

The vocalist was VERY good as well: a great natural talent.

Having a female band member would change my band's dynamic somewhat. When we're together, we pretty much act like a bunch of 5th graders. Having a lady in the band would change that somewhat. Having worked with female soldiers for decades - even living together in very close quarters during combat deployments and harsh field conditions, I know from experience that most adapt VERY well to working alongside a bunch of knuckle-dragging, immature and silly guys like us! Some behave worse than we do!

This group of guys and me have had a few females vocalists. After this one (this line up split about 3.5 years ago) we said no more! and have a male vocalist now!

-Hubert H Humphrey
Singlestroker

No. 8 Posted on Oct 28, 2013 3:25 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
... Brits and Aussies... silly accent... as soon as you start talkingClown

Well, Andy, as in the USA, there are so many, very different, accents here in the UK that I wonder if you've heard enough of them to judge. I know you're joking, but your statement reminds me of some Brits that aren't joking when they come out, in all seriousness, with the assertion that, being from the South of England, they don't have accents, but speak the "Queen's English" - whatever that is supposed to be!

Of course, we all have accents. Personally, I like to hear different ones, and I am sad to notice many rural ones disappearing.

The tendency of non-Americans to try to sound like Americans might be a good subject for a doctoral thesis. I have never understood it, particularly when singers' own accents can be so beautiful when sung. Have a listen to The Proclaimers, for example, or Chas 'n Dave. Here are a few links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM0sTNtWDiI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCzbi2qamqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be1xVBQRYQY

Singlestroker edited on Oct 28, 2013 3:31 AM

Andy

No. 9 Posted on Oct 28, 2013 3:33 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Doing a doctoral thesis would take all the fun out of teasing people from foreign countries! Smile Last year I was the only American in a group of 40 or so mostly Europeans. I was teaching a class to a group of NATO officers in Italy. It was my last big Army assignment before retirement. Sad I was the butt of many a joke, jest and jab. The funniest moment was when a Fin lady and a Dutch lady were trying to talk in a Southern American accent during a bus ride with a bunch of others from the class. I was laughing so hard I had tears coming out of my eyes. During that bus ride as the willing target of numerous American jokes, I probably did more to advance US - European relations than the Department of State has done in the past 20 years!

Doctoral thesis? Nah... That would destroy the joke.

RvJim

Reverend

No. 10 Posted on Oct 29, 2013 1:33 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:

Doctoral thesis? Nah... That would destroy the joke.

and 5 years of your life...

-Hubert H Humphrey
JesusMcChrist

No. 11 Posted on Dec 11, 2013 9:47 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Sounds very clean and clear. The fact that it was self recorded at home is even more impressive.

Nice job man.

RvJim

Reverend

No. 12 Posted on Dec 12, 2013 4:32 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
JesusMcChrist wrote:
Sounds very clean and clear. The fact that it was self recorded at home is even more impressive.

Nice job man.

Cheers,

You've not been around for a while.

-Hubert H Humphrey
kudoco

Adrian

No. 13 Posted on Feb 5, 2014 11:24 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Amazing work as always

An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 47 milliseconds