Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Something different - for me
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Something different - for me
pwc

No. 1 Posted on Oct 7, 2013 10:49 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
A fairly recent private recording of a band instantly pulled together at a musicians party with me playing outside of my normal genre ... really more of a jam ...

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12485079&q=hi

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
paul

paulmiller

No. 2 Posted on Oct 8, 2013 12:02 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Nice, nice job, Pete. Great groove, with interesting fills and variations.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

Singlestroker

No. 3 Posted on Oct 8, 2013 2:35 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thank you for posting it Peter. It sounds great. You and the drums are very much as one. It'd be nice to hear some of your jazz if that's how well you play out of genre.

pwc

No. 4 Posted on Oct 8, 2013 5:58 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker, ,,,, Thanks. Once that above link is open, you will see my name and "11 songs". If you click there you can hear a few tracks of my normal genre.
The recording equipment on "Lovely Day" was much better than most of those which were just from my Zoom H4 recorder placed close to the stage.

Paul .... Thanks. It was put up just for interest sake but positive comments are always nice. I don't get many .... Smile

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Singlestroker

No. 5 Posted on Oct 9, 2013 9:17 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hi Peter, and thank you. I haven't listened to it all just yet, but I've played Lullaby of Birdland. I really do think that you have your own sound and style. I like it very much.

pwc

No. 6 Posted on Oct 9, 2013 12:00 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks. As in most live music, the drummer reacts to what is happening around him on stage and my "style" can change. If someone is playing in an older swing style like that track then that's how I react but when other "feels" are happening I do switch.

But, generally, over the years I have made conscious efforts to simplify and focus on groove more than technique. In truth, that may be because I was never a "technical" drummer - being self-taught - but I was often "busier" in style than I am these days.

Sound has been a key factor in my more recent years with acoustic trios and cymbals were agonised over due to that as were small kits and small sizes - all of which influence how I sound.

But I never saw all that as "mine' so much as what seemed to be called for as I went along on my musical journey. Interesting that you see it that way, though.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 7 Posted on Oct 11, 2013 5:43 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Really, really well done, Peter. Your tasteful approach, the self-control on your volume and serving the song throughout moved the band beautifully. If those were/are your drums, they were recorded well - sounding well balanced and as drums ought to sound in context. Thanks for sharing Smile

The H4 was a terrific choice of recording gear. As a single-point live recording it shines. I remain impressed.

Based on some of the other tunes you've shared which were recorded in the same way, with the same device, I've mentioned to other people in my circle of contacts how splendid the sound was/is for a single piece of equipment ... smart purchase on your part.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
pwc

No. 8 Posted on Oct 11, 2013 7:51 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Randy, thabks for the kind words. The link that started this thread was recorded through the bass player's house studio mics not the H4. The other 11 songs on that SoundClick were the H4. My snare and cymbals but his drum set on the linked track "Lovely Day".

knightcrawler

No. 9 Posted on Oct 12, 2013 6:36 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
You did a really great job!! That's what drummers should sound like. Groovy, and moving the band along.

StillKicken

No. 10 Posted on Oct 12, 2013 5:40 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Nice recording Peter, I enjoyed it, I even caught my self grooving in my chair while listing.

While reading everyone's comments and your replies I feel you are what some people would call you as a musical drummer. I've received that compliment a couple of times in the past and felt honored to receive such a compliment and you should also.

You being a Jazz drummer would know about listening to other musicians and following their musical ques. That's what it takes and you are a master at listening.

Good job and I liked your fills.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
pwc

No. 11 Posted on Oct 12, 2013 7:36 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks, Sherm. Compliment duly accepted with humility ..... Smile

Andy

No. 12 Posted on Oct 13, 2013 6:15 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The first 30 seconds of the song I'm thinking "Stewart Copeland" of the 80's band "The Police". You guys who know Stewart Copeland's drumming, go back and listen to that. It's him!!!! Smile That guy could do more with just a hi-hat than anybody.

Great job Peter. You have a natural feel and really serve the song. THanks for posting this.

The drums and cymbals you were using sounded "spot on." If you're concerned about having too small of a kit to play this genre - don't. I use a 20 bass, 10" tom and 14" tom combination to play heavy metal sometimes. It's not the drums it's the drummer. And you've got it, my friend.

Andy edited on Oct 13, 2013 6:17 PM

pwc

No. 13 Posted on Oct 13, 2013 8:02 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks for the kind words, Andy.

You mentioned Stewart Copeland and coincidentally a new trio I play in at local jam nights decided to do "Every Breath You Take" just last night with Copeland's straight unchanging 2 and 4 snare drum part. Hard not to embellish but it is incredibly effective to stay true to the original.

My deep 12" snare records well as do my "jazz" cymbals so I have no issue with my small kit but this track was using other parts of a bigger 5-piece Pearl kit in the guy's house/studio. I do switch to bigger sticks to suit Blues or similar situations, though. That compensates when in "live" situations around town where drums are rarely miced.

Andy

No. 14 Posted on Oct 15, 2013 4:23 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Awesome song. It's a pretty straight beat. The only part that's a little challenging to duplicate is the weird sets of flams that Copeland does as the band transitions into the the chorus. I don't read music, so don't know all the terminology but it all starts just as the vocals go to "Oh can't you see....".

When I've played it in the past, I played the hi hat clean, with just the tip, with a fairly tight hold on the hats. I hit the snare pretty hard on the back beat.

Who am I giving drum advice to anyhow?!!!??!!! Smile Heck, you probably blow me out the water on this song, you Jazz-Meister! Smile

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 65 milliseconds