Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Night in Tunisia
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Night in Tunisia
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Sep 25, 2013 8:47 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I was looking for renditions of A Night in Tunisia because I wanted the combo I'm in to play it. Then I found this performance. This is amazing. The drums are tasteful and saying the horns are impressive is a complete understatement. These guys are INSANELY GOOD. I hope I'm good enough to play in a big band like this, one day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poUU8cyLnMg

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Singlestroker

No. 2 Posted on Sep 26, 2013 1:21 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I can't argue with your assessment, Ethan. Like you, I hope that one day I will be that good. As I'm mid-sixties, it's more of a dream for me than the reality I trust it will be for you.

I think the drummer is very good. If you are hinting that perhaps he isn't as virtuosic as the other most audible members of that band, then I agree. IMHO, that shouldn't be a great surprise. Drummers better than that are few, for one very good reason: drumkit is a very difficult instrument to master. It still astounds me to hear rather too many players of pitched instruments bemoaning the lack of good drummers, yet, almost in the same breath, claiming that drumkit is an easy option. This is a direct contradiction. Is it that difficult to see that if there aren't many good drummers, then it can't be because drumkit is easy? Having said that, there is, perhaps, one caveat to my argument: it is possible that ignorance of the challenges involved, among those who should know better, including composers, arrangers and conductors, might deter some from taking up, or continuing with, the drums.

Singlestroker edited on Sep 26, 2013 1:24 PM

pwc

No. 3 Posted on Sep 26, 2013 1:45 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It's a jazz standard I have played probably hundreds of times. The original version however is not the norm here as most want to play it alternating between swing and latin feel throughout the whole tune. More fun to play perhaps but not as it should be played in my opinion. There must be many, many versions on YouTube by some pro combos that you can learn from rather than the vid you linked to which is OK but not great in my personal opinion but then I don't play in a school band and hope your dream comes true.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Andy

No. 4 Posted on Sep 26, 2013 3:30 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Sort of off topic but....

As a Rock band drummer, I'm good at simple stuff but Jazz, Big Band and Classical are just WAY beyond my abilities. When listening to these genres, my mind doesn't "get" the patterns. I don't know where the music is going and it really doesn't "flow." Granted, I love watching Jazz drummers, but it's sort of like watching someone play an instrument I can't even play. Much of the time I can't even anticipate what they're going to do or how their doing it. With a Rock or Country or Blues drummer, I'm pretty much "in the know" and understand what they're doing and can sort of anticipate the fills, the grooves and the feel for the song.

technique2012

No. 5 Posted on Sep 26, 2013 3:58 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
Sort of off topic but....

As a Rock band drummer, I'm good at simple stuff but Jazz, Big Band and Classical are just WAY beyond my abilities. When listening to these genres, my mind doesn't "get" the patterns. I don't know where the music is going and it really doesn't "flow." Granted, I love watching Jazz drummers, but it's sort of like watching someone play an instrument I can't even play. Much of the time I can't even anticipate what they're going to do or how their doing it. With a Rock or Country or Blues drummer, I'm pretty much "in the know" and understand what they're doing and can sort of anticipate the fills, the grooves and the feel for the song.

It doesn't always need to flow. That's the great thing about jazz though; you never know what's coming.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
paul

paulmiller

No. 6 Posted on Sep 26, 2013 8:55 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
You may not know where it's going, but when it gets there the trip should make sense.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

pwc

No. 7 Posted on Sep 26, 2013 10:02 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Like rock, funk or pop genres, jazz needs form to each tune whether that be 12 bars, 8 bars or 16 bars etc. Since most of it is in 4/4, the divisions between chorus and verse are not hard to count for a drummer but are normally just felt when you have played a bit.

The mystery lies with other instruments, their wider range of chords, a more complex chord progression and their improvisation. Like any genre, the "feel" is what it is all about and drums play a vital role in that but knowing the tune is essential to make it all work as Paul indicates. You need to know where it is heading and knowing the tune's form is the key to that.

Night in Tunisia is no different in that regard but not really challenging other than keeping the band "tight" and laying down the required rhythms in the right places.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Andy

No. 8 Posted on Sep 27, 2013 4:38 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Easy for you to say! Smile I'll leave the Jazz stuff to the pros as it's all sort of magic to me.

In the past, I have caught a bit of the "Jazz bug" while playing certain tunes whereby my ride cymbal and hi-hat were going crazy and my bass drum and snare were kind of quiet. I'm still a long way off from ever actually backing up a Jazz band and will stick with what I do best. It is, however a lot of fun to watch these / you guys play and I steal little tricks from time to time. Smile

pwc

No. 9 Posted on Sep 27, 2013 9:41 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
BTW. We here tend to refer to that tune as "Night in Indonesia" as that's closer .... Smile

Andy

No. 10 Posted on Sep 28, 2013 2:15 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Here in rural Michigan we call that song "The non-County, non-Rock, non-Blues song that nobody's ever heard of and no local band is even remotely competent to play!" Smile

pwc

No. 11 Posted on Sep 28, 2013 2:38 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Don't feel bad. When I go to local blues jams nights I am known as the guy who knows 50 rhythms but only 5 tunes ..... Smile

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 23 milliseconds