Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

A fully converted 16" bass drum
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster A fully converted 16" bass drum
pwc

No. 1 Posted on Sep 18, 2013 4:31 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Someone recently sent me an old pic of me using part of a kit I had for which I had fully converted a 16 x16 tom into a bass drum complete with mount for tom, fitted legs and pedal riser. Sold it a few years ago but it had a 10 x 9 deep and a suspended 14 x 12 deep toms plus the bass drum all of which was salvaged from a 7 piece Yamaha Recording Custom and the left over pieces were sold off. The snare was a solid one piece Spirit Drums 12" that I also regret selling ...

(Click the picture to view the original one)

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
technique2012

No. 2 Posted on Sep 18, 2013 5:35 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Dude that's awesome. Way to be creative!

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
pwc

No. 3 Posted on Sep 18, 2013 7:00 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Now if only my hair dresser could be more creative ..... Sad

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
paul

paulmiller

No. 4 Posted on Sep 19, 2013 3:43 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
Now if only my hair dresser could be more creative ..... Sad

You have to give her something to work with.

Very nice looking kit.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

Andy

No. 5 Posted on Sep 19, 2013 4:24 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Cool picture. I remember when you ordered that Spirit snare drum years ago. If I remember correctly, you weren't quite happy with the finish as it was too shiny and you were hoping for a more dull coat. Sorry to hear you regret selling it.

I've sold a few things in the past that I regret now, so you're not alone. Sad

paul

paulmiller

No. 6 Posted on Sep 19, 2013 9:02 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I bought a 6.5x14 Ludwig Super Sensitive snare new in 1966, and sold it in 1998. Sure wish I still had it.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

pwc

No. 7 Posted on Sep 20, 2013 1:58 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
Cool picture. I remember when you ordered that Spirit snare drum years ago. If I remember correctly, you weren't quite happy with the finish as it was too shiny and you were hoping for a more dull coat. Sorry to hear you regret selling it.

I've sold a few things in the past that I regret now, so you're not alone. Sad

The SpiritDrums snare purchase was a disaster from the start as I ordered a 12 x 5.5 with 6 lugs and separately ordered some special 6 lug hoops at some expense. Then the drum came with 8 lugs and with no hoops or snare wires as it should have. When I finally got some correct hoops I found it impossible to tune and although I loved the wood and finish I just got sick of trying and as it was the only one in the country at that time I had no problem selling it which I did. I later heard it tuned by the buyer nicely and was angry at myself for not persevering with it a bit longer. It was the most expensive snare I ever owned.

Singlestroker

No. 8 Posted on Sep 20, 2013 12:54 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It all looked very nice, Peter.

Iíve got a few 1970s Premier drums that I keep promising myself Iíll convert one day into a mini- kit along those lines. Iíve even bought a set of 13Ē snare drum hoops and wires ready to convert a tomtom into a snare drum.

One thing that has put me off a bit is the position of all the leg-mounts and the badge on the floor tomtom to be converted to a bass drum. The badge is in the line between a top lug and a bottom one, rather than half way between lugs. Two of the leg mounts are equidistant from the badge. Now Iíve seen you using a riser, itís given me the thought that I might be able to set it all up with lugs at twelve and six oíclock. It's unusual, but it would, hopefully, subject to the spurs not being too long to be practical, maintain the existing positions, and avoid having a whole lot of holes to plug up.

Did you have to move the badge and plug a lot of holes yourself?

The drums I have in mind are built from mahogany ply, but theyíre wrapped at the moment. Iím hoping I can get the wrap off well enough to be able to stain and lacquer them. Actually, Iíd prefer a glass glitter, but I am not going to spend the money to get it.

Itís interesting to see you at work with brushes on a 12Ē diameter snare drum. Do you find that thereís sufficient space on the head to play with?

EDIT:

Oh well, that idea didn't last long. In fact, the FT leg-mounts are not equidistant from the badge. However, I can retain them as cymbal mounts or similar and still have the badge and a lug at 12 o'clock. Having said so, I'm not sure I'll like not the lugs arranged conventionally, i.e. one each side of the vertical at top and bottom, etc, so I'll need to have a think.

Singlestroker edited on Sep 20, 2013 2:17 PM

pwc

No. 9 Posted on Sep 20, 2013 8:21 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Yes, I drilled the holes for both the leg mounts and the tom mount and fitted things myself but I really cannot remember where the badge was. I tried a few different bass drum pedal risers until I found the most stable one. But I remember agonising over exact positions and measured and re-measured everything before making the final decisions as once its done there is no way to rectify errors.

I have been playing brushes on 12" snare drums for well over a decade and have no problems sweeping the left hand. It's an easy adjustment to make - as is adjusting cross stick position to get the desired sound.

The 13" tom to snare idea sound fun but I worried about snare beds when I thought of that years ago and did not go ahead with it.

Singlestroker

No. 10 Posted on Sep 20, 2013 11:24 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
... but I worried about snare beds...

Me too, but I am reasonably competent at woodwork and fancy that I can copy the bed off another Premier snare drum of that era. Maybe I'll now get on with it. If I do so, I'll let you know how it goes.

technique2012

No. 11 Posted on Sep 21, 2013 5:43 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
I have been playing brushes on 12" snare drums for well over a decade and have no problems sweeping the left hand. It's an easy adjustment to make - as is adjusting cross stick position to get the desired sound.

I can never get a good cross stick on a 12" snare Sad

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
pwc

No. 12 Posted on Sep 21, 2013 9:52 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I find it easy but having wood hoops helps .... Smile

Andy

No. 13 Posted on Sep 23, 2013 4:05 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
The SpiritDrums snare purchase was a disaster from the start as I ordered a 12 x 5.5 with 6 lugs and separately ordered some special 6 lug hoops at some expense. Then the drum came with 8 lugs and with no hoops or snare wires as it should have. When I finally got some correct hoops I found it impossible to tune and although I loved the wood and finish I just got sick of trying and as it was the only one in the country at that time I had no problem selling it which I did. I later heard it tuned by the buyer nicely and was angry at myself for not persevering with it a bit longer. It was the most expensive snare I ever owned.

Sorry to hear that. I've sold a few things that I now regret, but 90% of the stuff was a good decision. I don't agonize over the 10% that I may have messed up. Chances are, you never would have been happy with that snare drum. If the company can't even get the lug count correct, how the heck are the bearing edges going to be right? Man, I would have dumped that thing in a heartbeat.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 112 milliseconds