Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Bourbon
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Bourbon
RvJim

Reverend

No. 1 Posted on Sep 8, 2013 2:10 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Off topic, but there has been none for days...

I like bourbon. Do you?

Generally, I buy Evan Williams Single Barrel or Wild Turkey. Tonight, however, I am having a Woodford Reserve.

What are your thoughts?

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
StillKicken

No. 2 Posted on Sep 8, 2013 3:13 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm not a expert on bourbon but some years ago I enjoyed a glass of W. L. Weller 101 poured over one or two cubes of ice; just enough to cover the ice. Then just set back, relax and sip till it was gone. One glass that is! Big Smile I just kind of got out of the habit, I hardly drink any alcohol anymore but I do like it.

I don't think they make the 101 anymore. I tried to find it on the internet without any luck. Found out that they changed from using rye to wheat in the making of their bourbon however they do make a 107. Looks like the same bottle but the old bottle looked like it was covered in a spider web.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Sep 8, 2013 3:39 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OK, so I did find it by digging a little deeper in the internet.

Found this: I pulled a paragraph form the website.

Itís worth pointing out that both of these bottles are entry points for their respective brands, and for Buffalo Traceís family of bourbons more broadly. From the Weller Special Reserve, you can step up to Weller Antique 107 proof or W.L. Weller 12 year old for older/stronger expressions; and from the Old Charter 8 year old, you can go to Charter 101 proof or 10 year old Ė all at a higher price, of course. Itís all about finding the bourbon that delivers best for your tastes AND your wallet.

I don't know how it compares to your brands but it was an enjoyable drink for me.

sherm

pwc

No. 4 Posted on Sep 8, 2013 6:37 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My like for liquor depends on who is buying ..... Clown

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
technique2012

No. 5 Posted on Sep 8, 2013 8:33 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Never had it Smile

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
paul

paulmiller

No. 6 Posted on Sep 8, 2013 8:34 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
When I buy bourbon I usually get Rebel Yell. But my usual choice of liquor is Jose Cuervo Gold.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

Dave

No. 7 Posted on Sep 8, 2013 9:26 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
There are certain legal requirements for a spirit to be labeled as 'Bourbon', which I won't go in to, but there is a definite distinction between 'Bourbon' and 'Whiskey'. That being said:

Traditional Bourbon Recipe:

Bakerís
Bookerís
Elijah Craig
Evan Williams
Jim Beam
Jim Beam Black
Knob Creek
Old Crow
Wild Turkey

of these, I like Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, and Wild Turkey.

High-Rye Recipe:

Basil Haydenís
Buffalo Trace
Bulleit
Eagle Rare
Four Roses
George T. Stagg
Old Forester
Old Grand-Dad
Woodford Reserve

Of these I like Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, and Woodford Reserve.

High-Wheat Recipe:

Makerís Mark
Old Fitzgerald
Rebel Yell
Old Rip Van Winkle/Pappy Van Winkle
W.L. Weller

Of this group I like Makers Mark.

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

Andy

No. 8 Posted on Sep 8, 2013 5:07 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I like bourbon and red wine. My favorite bourbons include:

1. Jack Daniels black label
2. Jim Beam
3. Evan WIlliams

Basically, I'm happy with anything that's cheap, got a good strong oak flavor and isn't too sweet. Dry, strong and oaky is what I'm looking for in a bourbon.

I've never tried the REALLY expensive bourbons. The lower cost stuff is just fine for me.

RvJim

Reverend

No. 9 Posted on Sep 8, 2013 7:52 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Nice list, makes me glad to know that in Australia we actually do get most of these. Judging from your selection, I think you and me like a similar drink! Although, I dislike Jim Beam (white label).

Dave wrote:
There are certain legal requirements for a spirit to be labeled as 'Bourbon', which I won't go in to, but there is a definite distinction between 'Bourbon' and 'Whiskey'. That being said:

Traditional Bourbon Recipe:

Bakerís
Bookerís
Elijah Craig
Evan Williams
Jim Beam
Jim Beam Black
Knob Creek
Old Crow
Wild Turkey

of these, I like Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, and Wild Turkey.

High-Rye Recipe:

Basil Haydenís
Buffalo Trace
Bulleit
Eagle Rare
Four Roses
George T. Stagg
Old Forester
Old Grand-Dad
Woodford Reserve

Of these I like Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, and Woodford Reserve.

High-Wheat Recipe:

Makerís Mark
Old Fitzgerald
Rebel Yell
Old Rip Van Winkle/Pappy Van Winkle
W.L. Weller

Of this group I like Makers Mark.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Andy

No. 10 Posted on Sep 16, 2013 6:11 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Haven't had bourbon in a while. My poison of late has been red wine: preferably a dry Merlot or Shiraz. Smile

Zeroman

cymbal schmimbal

No. 11 Posted on Oct 10, 2013 4:57 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I used to be a Jack guy, but converted to Maker's a while back and haven't regretted the decision one bit

rdrummer322

No. 12 Posted on Oct 23, 2013 5:37 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Living in Frankfort Ky, smack dab on the bourbon trail,( on many days you can smell the hops brewing in the air) I still have to go with Woodford Reserve, 10 miles away. Buffalo Trace, formerly Ancient Age, has some unbelievable Pappy, but a bunch has been stolen from the distillery, making it even more valuable if you can get it. It was at $130 around here before the theft.
Hi all, been gone for years..

Videos and pics at
http://www.myspace.com/rdrummer322
http://www.youtube.com/rdrummer322
drummer5359

No. 13 Posted on Oct 30, 2013 2:59 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Old Grand Dad or Maker's Mark, depending on my mood. I just finished off a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114 last week. I've always liked that as well.

-Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."
Andy

No. 14 Posted on Nov 1, 2013 5:15 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
A nice glass of wine or a touch of bourbon really takes the edge off after a long day.

I never drink at gigs though.

kudoco

Adrian

No. 15 Posted on Dec 10, 2013 1:05 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I don't really like it, I'm a good mexican, I like tequila, mezcal and scotch

An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything.
StillKicken

No. 16 Posted on Dec 28, 2013 7:25 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
What do you guys use in eggnog?

I found a bottle Jim Beam Black 7 in a cabinet; been there a number of years. Taste good with eggnog.

Does this stuff ever go bad?

sherm

paul

paulmiller

No. 17 Posted on Dec 28, 2013 7:39 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
A few years ago I experimented, alternating rum and bourbon in my eggnog. I'm happy to say that extensive testing revealed no obvious advantage to either.

I hope this helps.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

RvJim

Reverend

No. 18 Posted on Dec 29, 2013 5:37 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:

I found a bottle Jim Beam Black 7 in a cabinet; been there a number of years. Taste good with eggnog.

sherm

The bourbon won't go bad. Only problem I could think of is that if the bottle isn't sealed some of the alcohol may evaporate and the rest may absorb moisture (lowering the proof).

-Hubert H Humphrey
StillKicken

No. 19 Posted on Dec 29, 2013 7:11 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
A few years ago I experimented, alternating rum and bourbon in my eggnog. I'm happy to say that extensive testing revealed no obvious advantage to either.

I hope this helps.

All in one night?

sherm

paul

paulmiller

No. 20 Posted on Dec 30, 2013 8:25 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
There may have been an evening when I did A/B testing with two glasses. Wink

Just Add Sticks

Andy

No. 21 Posted on Jan 1, 2014 5:17 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Last night I enjoyed a small amount of Jack Daniels. I had to drive later so just had very little with a big meal. Tonight I'm not so careful as I'm at home with my wife enjoying a bottle of champaign that was given to me last year by some Italian officers on my last NATO class before I retired. Good stuff. Smile

Andy

No. 22 Posted on Jan 1, 2014 5:20 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:

sherm

Eggnog just looks nasty. It's one of those things I won't ever try along with liver and canned beets. Yuck! I'm all in for other crazy foods like Korean kimchi, crawfish, etc... but no eggnog for me.

RvJim

Reverend

No. 23 Posted on Jan 2, 2014 2:18 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
Last night I enjoyed a small amount of Jack Daniels. I had to drive later so just had very little with a big meal. Tonight I'm not so careful as I'm at home with my wife enjoying a bottle of champaign that was given to me last year by some Italian officers on my last NATO class before I retired. Good stuff. Smile

Enjoy!

-Hubert H Humphrey
kudoco

Adrian

No. 24 Posted on Feb 5, 2014 11:12 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm not a big fan of bourbon, I'd rather drink scotch

An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything.
RvJim

Reverend

No. 25 Posted on Mar 15, 2014 3:03 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Having a Russell's Reserve. Very nice Smile

-Hubert H Humphrey
Go to page 12 Next

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 61 milliseconds