Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Birth of a new band!
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Birth of a new band!
Andy





Posts: 1727
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Rockford, MI
No. 1 Posted on Apr 6, 2013 4:54 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
For years I've been in a funk because I could never find the right guys for a band. Guitar players were the worst. I never could find the right guy. They always had some issue, problem, drug habit, outstanding warrant, mental problem, etc...

Just today the bass player an I interviewed the PERFECT guitar player. We haven't heard him play a single note but his reputation is superb, he says all the right things, likes the same songs we do and he's a nerd just like us! I think this is going to work out well.

Looks like it's going to be a 4-piece Rock band:

1. Drums/backup vocals
2. Bass
3. Lead vocals (some guitar)
4. Lead guitar




pwc





Posts: 9918
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
No. 2 Posted on Apr 6, 2013 5:31 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Sounds good. Nothing worse than being in any combo where one guy drags you all down with his issues.


Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
technique2012





Posts: 287
Joined: Aug 11, 2012
Location: Illinois, USA
No. 3 Posted on Apr 6, 2013 5:31 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Congratulations, Andy. Good luck!


"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Andy





Posts: 1727
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Rockford, MI
No. 4 Posted on Apr 7, 2013 4:57 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The last guitar player we tried out this Summer was a freaking train wreck. Musically, he was just what we were looking for, but not so much as a human being.

Here are the issues he had:
1. Unemployed
2. Chain smoker, nervously twitched in between cigarettes
3. On "disability" for a mental condition
4. Shares a house with a guy who grows pot in the house and smokes all day long
5. Was rude to my bass player during one of our practices
6. Upon meeting him for the first time, my wife was instantly creeped out and instituted a new rule that all band people will be interviewed off site before they come over to our house.

It has been so hard to find a "normal" guitar player that I'm really geeked to have finally run across one.




StillKicken





Posts: 2342
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Buda, Texas
No. 5 Posted on Apr 7, 2013 5:44 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Congratulations Andy.

Enjoy the band and keep us posted on how it going.

sherm



K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
OldFart

Mapex



Posts: 6677
Joined: Apr 2, 2007
Location: Peoria, AZ
No. 6 Posted on Apr 7, 2013 8:36 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
The last guitar player we tried out this Summer was a freaking train wreck. Musically, he was just what we were looking for, but not so much as a human being.

Here are the issues he had:
1. Unemployed
2. Chain smoker, nervously twitched in between cigarettes
3. On "disability" for a mental condition
4. Shares a house with a guy who grows pot in the house and smokes all day long
5. Was rude to my bass player during one of our practices
6. Upon meeting him for the first time, my wife was instantly creeped out and instituted a new rule that all band people will be interviewed off site before they come over to our house.

It has been so hard to find a "normal" guitar player that I'm really geeked to have finally run across one.


Hear, Hear Mrs. Andy!

That aspect is a real bothersome fact of life. Please let her know I wholeheartedly concur with her thinking.



Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Andy





Posts: 1727
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Rockford, MI
No. 7 Posted on Apr 7, 2013 4:51 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
Hear, Hear Mrs. Andy!

That aspect is a real bothersome fact of life. Please let her know I wholeheartedly concur with her thinking.


I'll let her know, but it's always no fun to tell her she was right about something! Smile

I've exchanged several e-mails with the new guy already. He's very serious about the songs we selected to play during our first practice and is all over it.




pgdrums





Posts: 2287
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
No. 8 Posted on Apr 10, 2013 1:57 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Congratulations. Exciting to find the right combination of players.



Andy





Posts: 1727
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Rockford, MI
No. 9 Posted on Apr 16, 2013 3:56 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Lead singer just bowed out of our first practice citing another obligation. I called two other local singers and it doesn't look like either can make it. Here we go again.

The only thing that keeps me on track with this is that the bassist and guitar player seem pretty solid and really want to make this work. We'll see.




technique2012





Posts: 287
Joined: Aug 11, 2012
Location: Illinois, USA
No. 10 Posted on Apr 16, 2013 4:59 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
Lead singer just bowed out of our first practice citing another obligation. I called two other local singers and it doesn't look like either can make it. Here we go again.

The only thing that keeps me on track with this is that the bassist and guitar player seem pretty solid and really want to make this work. We'll see.

What a coincidence. One of my peers backed out of the talent show without telling the (short-tempered) organizer at the last second because he apparently had a lacrosse tournament on the day of the show.



"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Andy





Posts: 1727
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Rockford, MI
No. 11 Posted on Apr 17, 2013 5:47 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
What a coincidence. One of my peers backed out of the talent show without telling the (short-tempered) organizer at the last second because he apparently had a lacrosse tournament on the day of the show.


Man, I feel your pain.

I e-mailed the vocalist to see if he had some OTHER dates that might fit into his schedule. It's been about three days and I haven't received anything. Sounds like he's not interested. Too bad he just couldn't say that ahead of time before I made all these plans. Thanks a lot, Buddy.

Same old crap! Bands would be great if it wasn't for freaking musicians!!!!


Andy edited on Apr 17, 2013 5:49 PM


StillKicken





Posts: 2342
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Buda, Texas
No. 12 Posted on Apr 18, 2013 5:12 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
Same old crap! Bands would be great if it wasn't for freaking musicians!!!!


Now that's a line I gota remember!!

sherm

PS: Guess that's why I play with a bunch of old fogies. Most are retired, they don't want to hang it up, nothing to do around the house, very dependable and on time. Most are very good musicians because the bad ones don't get called for gigs. LOL!!


StillKicken edited on Apr 18, 2013 5:24 PM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Andy





Posts: 1727
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Rockford, MI
No. 13 Posted on Apr 21, 2013 10:15 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Good news. The new guitar player is utterly fantastic and a nice guy. We're now looking for a lead singer. The bass player and I told him about all the clowns and losers we've been dealing with in attempting to find band people. As a joke, the guy sends me the following e-mail after our first practice:

Andy/Tim, I've made contact with this guy and he is on board with starting as soon as possible. I gave him your address. He is going to swing over later to check out the place.
http://centralmich.craigslist.org/muc/3673543830.html




Andy





Posts: 1727
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Rockford, MI
No. 14 Posted on Apr 21, 2013 10:18 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Here's my response:

Greg,

I'm afraid your singer is out. I've got a better one. See below:

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/muc/3709922445.html

Incidentally, he'll be staying in the barn with you as he's inbetween
jobs right now.

Andy

Here's the guitar player's response:

Mixed emotions here. Although I am happy we've found our singer, I'm totally pissed that he has stolen my style.
Awesome stuff!




Andy





Posts: 1727
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Rockford, MI
No. 15 Posted on Apr 22, 2013 4:39 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Got a lead on a great singer

- lives local
- same age as the rest of us
- stable job at a hospital
- has his own PA
- no drugs, minimal alcohol




OldFart

Mapex



Posts: 6677
Joined: Apr 2, 2007
Location: Peoria, AZ
No. 16 Posted on Apr 22, 2013 5:58 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
Got a lead on a great singer

- lives local
- same age as the rest of us
- stable job at a hospital
- has his own PA
- no drugs, minimal alcohol


<wink, wink> But how many times each hour is that 'minimal alcohol' being ingested ?
J/K



Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
pgdrums





Posts: 2287
Joined: Jan 24, 2005
No. 17 Posted on Apr 25, 2013 5:45 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It's a shame that the A-hole who invented the drum machine didn't invent the singer machine instead.



Dave





Posts: 1242
Joined: Jan 15, 2005
No. 18 Posted on Apr 25, 2013 11:46 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
^^LIKE^^




"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

Andy





Posts: 1727
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Rockford, MI
No. 19 Posted on Apr 29, 2013 4:28 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pgdrums wrote:
It's a shame that the A-hole who invented the drum machine didn't invent the singer machine instead.


Great line. I'll definitely use this some day.

The bass player and I met with the singer last week off-site. The interview went very well. He's a nerd: just what we're looking for. We invited him to our practice session on May 11th. He asked what to bring. I replied; "as a lead singer, all I need you to bring is your favorite microphone and a really big ego!" Smile




StillKicken





Posts: 2342
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Buda, Texas
No. 20 Posted on Apr 29, 2013 8:22 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy, IĎm glad you are putting a band together and it seems you are doing the best you can to find the right person and personality to fit your group.

Just a reminder; if you havenít already done it; set down and have a meeting and talk about all expectations. I know you have done this before, especially while you were in the military. If you are running a band itís no different than any other managerial type job.

When you start playing gigs you will need help. I assume you own the PA system so you will have your hands full. Make it clear that everyone in the band will have assigned responsibilities for setting up and packing up. No one gets paid until everything is packed and all furniture is moved back in place if needed.

Good luck with the band, I hope it works for you.

Sherm



K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
StillKicken





Posts: 2342
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Buda, Texas
No. 21 Posted on Apr 29, 2013 8:41 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
He asked what to bring. I replied; "as a lead singer, all I need you to bring is your favorite microphone and a really big ego!" Smile


OH, no no no no, you got it all wrong you should have said; donuts!!!

sherm



K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Andy





Posts: 1727
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Rockford, MI
No. 22 Posted on Apr 30, 2013 1:20 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:
Andy, IĎm glad you are putting a band together and it seems you are doing the best you can to find the right person and personality to fit your group.

Just a reminder; if you havenít already done it; set down and have a meeting and talk about all expectations. I know you have done this before, especially while you were in the military. If you are running a band itís no different than any other managerial type job.

When you start playing gigs you will need help. I assume you own the PA system so you will have your hands full. Make it clear that everyone in the band will have assigned responsibilities for setting up and packing up. No one gets paid until everything is packed and all furniture is moved back in place if needed.

Good luck with the band, I hope it works for you.

Sherm


Good point. I have clearly spelled out general expectations for behavior, character and professionalism. I have not yet talked about individual responsibilities.

I own a small PA and the singer owns a second one. If the audition goes well and it looks like gigs are in the cards, I'll start talking the logistics of gigging and solicit "volunteers" for certain duties. So far these guys don't seem to need to be pushed and are pretty self motivated.

I made it clear to each and every one of them that I will not be a babysitter in this band.





post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.
   
 
Page was generated in 65 milliseconds