Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Porcupine Tree Vs. Rush
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Porcupine Tree Vs. Rush
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Apr 4, 2013 3:39 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP8kp_hAQf0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFGVDWc_5Q8
What do you think? I do believe I am comparing a little bit of apples to oranges but still. I'm curious about the responses.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Pearl57

No. 2 Posted on Apr 5, 2013 5:52 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP8kp_hAQf0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFGVDWc_5Q8
What do you think? I do believe I am comparing a little bit of apples to oranges but still. I'm curious about the responses.

Apples to oranges for sure. ..Tom Sawyer.Iconic song. Drummers went nuts trying to learn this. .Not sure if Porcupine Tree will ever be this big.

Gavin and Neil are not even comparable technic wise and yet similar in situation. Neil was an inventor for his day. By todays standards, not so...

Gavin is in the same place, different era. He is one of the modern day drummers as guys like Lang, Donati, and others.

Different times, different places. ..

RvJim

Reverend

No. 3 Posted on Apr 5, 2013 6:58 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Porcupine Tree are one of my favourite bands. Saw them live a couple of years back, was simply just WOW. Gavin Harrison is inhuman behind a kit of drums. Amazing to watch.

Check out other stuff of his, he isn't just an amazing prog. rock drummer. He can literally do everything.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
pwc

No. 4 Posted on Apr 5, 2013 7:40 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
A good friend and drummer who was in Thailand for some time was originally a bass player and after leaving to live in the UK, hooked up with Gavin for a series of recordings and concerts around Europe under a different band name. His name is Ric Byer. Following Ric's career I have then seen much of Gavin's work and he just blows me away. His originality and technique would be hard to match by anyone today, I think.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
OldFart

Mapex

No. 5 Posted on Apr 5, 2013 8:27 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Harrison's a fabulous talent. I was nicely surprised he was a featured guest on The Late Show with David Letterman.

Gavin Harrison was a huge upgrade over the Late Show's usual line-up of ditzy Hollyweird Celebs.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
technique2012

No. 6 Posted on Apr 6, 2013 5:31 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
Harrison's a fabulous talent. I was nicely surprised he was a featured guest on The Late Show with David Letterman.

Gavin Harrison was a huge upgrade over the Late Show's usual line-up of ditzy Hollyweird Celebs.

Way better than that time they had BIEBER drum on Letterman.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKicken

No. 7 Posted on Apr 10, 2013 4:23 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
Way better than that time they had BIEBER drum on Letterman.

LOL!!!

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 25 milliseconds