Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Very quiet around here
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Very quiet around here
pwc

No. 1 Posted on Apr 4, 2013 3:07 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The forum seems very quiet since I have been away .. or is it because I have been away ? ... Clown

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
technique2012

No. 2 Posted on Apr 4, 2013 12:36 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
We just missed you. Plus the forum is still occasionally stagnant.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Pearl57

No. 4 Posted on Apr 4, 2013 1:27 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Stagnant? More like slow death. ...Lol!

Singlestroker

No. 5 Posted on Apr 4, 2013 2:06 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The forum has been very sparsely used for the whole of the three years that I have been registered. I've speculated that this may be because Remo aren't widely thought-of as a drum manufacturer. Then, of course, on the other hand, there's the fact that their name is found on, for a guess, the heads of at least 60% of quality drums, although only on the heads.

I come on here in preference to some forums because of the quality of the forum. More specifically, I have never found anyone on here resorting to insult. Views are sometimes controversial, but they always (I think) get put over on here in a reasonable, and mostly friendly, manner. Whether this is because the moderators have stamped on bad behaviour in the past, I can't say. If that is the reason for the good quality of the forum, then perhaps it explains the small number of participants (I am speculating again). Certainly, some drum forums are full of bullying and abuse, and the drums does suffer from what seems to be more than its fair share of those who like to bully and abuse.

Singlestroker edited on Apr 4, 2013 2:53 PM

technique2012

No. 6 Posted on Apr 4, 2013 2:10 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If each forum was a building in a city, we'd be the library LOL.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
RvJim

Reverend

No. 7 Posted on Apr 4, 2013 2:39 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It used to be very popular. Always busy (typically if I didn't check for a day General Discussion had about 100 unread posts and Drum Talk about 80), but about 3 years ago it just dropped off suddenly and a lot of the regular posters disappeared (at the start of the GFC), then we got plagued with spammers and that drove some more away.

I guess the now current slow pace of the forum is likely turning potential new posters away. It is a hard place, I think, for the forum to come back from.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
technique2012

No. 8 Posted on Apr 4, 2013 3:24 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
It used to be very popular. Always busy (typically if I didn't check for a day General Discussion had about 100 unread posts and Drum Talk about 80), but about 3 years ago it just dropped off suddenly and a lot of the regular posters disappeared (at the start of the GFC), then we got plagued with spammers and that drove some more away.

I guess the now current slow pace of the forum is likely turning potential new posters away. It is a hard place, I think, for the forum to come back from.

What's the GFC? What happened? I'm still the newest guy to post and stay consistent so I don't know this forum's past. Just that there's decent and cool cats on here. I'm still happy to say that I feel like I fit in now even though I'm the youngster. Haven't heard from you in a while either, RvJim. Good to hear from you. I assume by the time you warded off the spammers, it was already too late?

technique2012 edited on Apr 4, 2013 3:32 PM

-Charles Mingus
Densbak

No. 8 Posted on Apr 5, 2013 2:53 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hey there, peoples! Uncle Den here. most of you here may remember me. I know that most everyone knows Peter because he's stuck around for a long time and has a lot to offer.

This place used to be a daily hub for many folks. For some reason it has dried up and members stopped posting.

Is Crusher still around?

Pearl57

No. 9 Posted on Apr 5, 2013 5:40 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Some people stay, some people go.Some come back, others don't. Such is life.

Most of these forums are like local pubs. When frequented a lot, people are attracted wondering what the hoopla is. ..

When you walk in and only see 3 or 4 at the bar, many leave. If you come back a month later and see the same 3 or 4; and its still empty, it has tendency
to not attract others once the word gets out.

Some prefer lots going on, others don't..

No biggie...

RvJim

Reverend

No. 10 Posted on Apr 5, 2013 6:54 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
GFC = Global Financial Crisis.

I log onto the forum 2-5 times a day Smile

Still hopeful that it will all pick up. It really used to be a very busy place. I've been posting on this forum for 8 years now!

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Dave

No. 11 Posted on Apr 5, 2013 6:55 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hey Carl, nice to see you around.

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

RvJim

Reverend

No. 12 Posted on Apr 5, 2013 6:56 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Densbak wrote:
Hey there, peoples! Uncle Den here. most of you here may remember me. I know that most everyone knows Peter because he's stuck around for a long time and has a lot to offer.

This place used to be a daily hub for many folks. For some reason it has dried up and members stopped posting.

Is Crusher still around?

I believe that Crusher is still around. Just life has hit him a bit hard these last few years and keeping up with the forum is difficult for him. We can just hope that things improve for him and he comes back as a regular.

-Hubert H Humphrey
Andy

No. 13 Posted on Apr 5, 2013 4:01 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The forum used to be really hot. We lost a number of very colorful personalities and they never returned.

technique2012

No. 14 Posted on Apr 5, 2013 5:03 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
The forum used to be really hot. We lost a number of very colorful personalities and they never returned.

Besides the spammers and GFC, what else happened that drove people away? The reason I joined this forum is because it was calm and everyone is nice. That wasn't so a half a decade ago?

-Charles Mingus
pwc

No. 15 Posted on Apr 5, 2013 7:35 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Drummers, like many musicians, have sensitivities and egos and a few members got into insensitive issues that bruised some egos. It happens. But it was always the light hearted banter that kept me here and some great cyber friends were met here so I am glad that the technical issues with my IP have corrected themselves and look forward to being here often.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
StillKicken

No. 16 Posted on Apr 6, 2013 5:36 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Pete, I'm glad you IP is working and hope your recuperation period was a bearable experience. LOL!!

Good to see your smiling face again. Big Smile

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Andy

No. 17 Posted on Apr 6, 2013 4:47 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
Besides the spammers and GFC, what else happened that drove people away? The reason I joined this forum is because it was calm and everyone is nice. That wasn't so a half a decade ago?

Nobody was driven away and there wasn't one reason why some people decided to leave. Years ago, there were a number of pro and semi-pro drummers who always had some new crazy event going on in their lives. It was exciting and fun. They'd get in fights every once in a while.

I'd say the forum was less polite years ago than it is now, but was more interesting. RV Jim came on board during the lowest point in the forum and has been doing a pretty good job so far and is building it back up.

technique2012

No. 18 Posted on Apr 6, 2013 5:30 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
Nobody was driven away and there wasn't one reason why some people decided to leave. Years ago, there were a number of pro and semi-pro drummers who always had some new crazy event going on in their lives. It was exciting and fun. They'd get in fights every once in a while.

I'd say the forum was less polite years ago than it is now, but was more interesting. RV Jim came on board during the lowest point in the forum and has been doing a pretty good job so far and is building it back up.

What took place in the "fights"?

-Charles Mingus
RvJim

Reverend

No. 19 Posted on Apr 6, 2013 11:07 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:

Depended on the fight. Mostly juvenile stuff and ego.

Some of it was rather entertaining, others not so much.

I think it was just an unfortunate series of events, a few left because of differences with other members, a few got hit hard with life, some had other things come up... it just all seemed to happen at a similar time. Then the spamming started. The forum hit its lowest point about 3 years ago. It does seem to be picking up a bit, but it is a long way from ever retaining its former glory.

A few of the older members still pop in from time to time. If enough new people came on board and it got interesting here again, I suspect some of the old crowd would return.

-Hubert H Humphrey
Andy

No. 20 Posted on Apr 7, 2013 4:15 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I think the goal isn't necessarily to bring back those long-gone forum members, but instead; to develop a new cadre of interesting people. Now that I'm getting back in a band, I'll do my best! Smile

Densbak

No. 21 Posted on Apr 7, 2013 7:20 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
I think the goal isn't necessarily to bring back those long-gone forum members,

That's IT...I'm leaving again...for good this time! LOL (sarc)

Densbak

No. 22 Posted on Apr 7, 2013 7:27 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Dave wrote:
Hey Carl, nice to see you around.

Wow, Dave, no one has called me that in many years. I think it stemmed from my wanting to be anonymous online. That has all changed I guess.

Yup, there were times in the past where "things" would get heated and egos were bruised. I was in the pathway of some of the brutality that some people thought was fun. It wasn't fun, nor did it have anything to do with drums or drumming. As with many online forums there were people that were hellbent on ruining things for many others. At that time the fine folks here were treated to social experimentation. A test of our wits and knowledge and talents led to many people staying away and deciding which camp to join.

Simply because we were talking online we were labeled "not real".

Glad those days are in the past and I hope this place will never get like that again in the future.

Den

Pearl57

No. 23 Posted on Apr 7, 2013 8:21 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:

If you go through the old pages and drift back 4 years or so as I just did, you can read some of them. Not much different than any other forum.

DFO being an example. Used to be a lot of pros on that forum, but trolls and others who did not give them their respect due chased them away.

Pearl forum is totally wacked! Never been a member but wow! Some stuff on there is brutal! !

Pearl57

No. 24 Posted on Apr 7, 2013 8:23 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:

If you go through the old pages and drift back 4 years or so as I just did, you can read some of them. Not much different than any other forum.

DFO being an example. Used to be a lot of pros on that forum, but trolls and others who did not give them their respect due chased them away.

Pearl forum is totally wacked! Never been a member but wow! Some stuff on there is brutal! !

Andy

No. 25 Posted on Apr 7, 2013 4:58 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:

Just like the others said; mostly stupid, juvenile stuff. Some of these clowns would probably argue about what day of the week it was.

Go to page 12 Next

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 63 milliseconds