Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Re:Latin and Lighter Sticks?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
Poster Re:Latin and Lighter Sticks? [Re:StillKicken]
technique2012

No. 4 Posted on Mar 24, 2013 4:38 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:
BTW: While using the small/Jazz style sticks, have you ever practiced or tried to play as soft as possible and still do all the rhythm actions needed at the correct speeds?

My last two gigs in restaurants I did my best to play everything as soft as possible and had a blast. I knew everyone could hear me so that wasn’t a problem. The band actually played a little quieter than normal (found out later the bandleader asked a couple of the guys to turn down) and I could do some funnies on cow bell or wood block that made people laugh; or play some extra intricate stuff that caused them to take notice.

We had a great Blues/Jazz style guitarist fill in with our band at the last gig; he and I with the bass man had a blast playing off each other during the gig. I think playing extra soft with small sticks had a lot to do with our actions with each other.

sherm

Quite the contrary, my band director practically needs me to demolish the drum set to be loud enough because I'm NEVER miked. Though at home, I have tried playing quietly before. It's fun. I play mostly big band stuff so I have to be pretty loud.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus

Topic thread
Hits Subject Poster Chars Posted on
1051 Latin and Lighter Sticks? technique2012 771 Mar 11, 2013 4:18 PM
826 Re:Latin and Lighter Sticks? StillKicken 619 Mar 12, 2013 4:21 PM
726 Re:Latin and Lighter Sticks? StillKicken 878 Mar 24, 2013 10:07 AM
808 Re:Latin and Lighter Sticks? technique2012 1170 Mar 24, 2013 4:38 PM

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 12 milliseconds