Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

CATS???????????????????????????
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster CATS???????????????????????????
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Mar 14, 2013 6:07 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
What's up with calling musicians "cats"? I've heard it so much lately and I don't know what calling a musician a cat means. My band director elaborated that it's just what musicians call each other, but I thought there's more to it than that. Before humans came about, did cats know how to swing or something?

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
OldFart

Mapex

No. 2 Posted on Mar 14, 2013 11:40 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
What's up with calling musicians "cats"? I've heard it so much lately and I don't know what calling a musician a cat means. My band director elaborated that it's just what musicians call each other, but I thought there's more to it than that. Before humans came about, did cats know how to swing or something?

It's a throw-back to a period which roughly straddled West coast and Cool Jazz era. Beatniks were beginning to get popular attention ... the Beatniks tried to be a little off-the-beaten-path types. The 'glossary' of the times included such references as "Daddy-O"; and I think the word "Cool" had its genesis with the Beatniks ( but I'm not entirely certain of that ) - it carries on today more or less from that period (mid-to-late 1950's). I remember artists literally 'dancing' to poetry-readings, and similar non-traditional expressionistic undertakings. I also seem to recall Coffee-houses being important to Beatnik types; but not universally so (there was drink and drugs, too). A bunch of other such references have since departed my memory. It predated the Hippies-movement by some years (not all that dissimilar, though). A cultural-phenomenon lasting for a short spell - but it did have a bit of an impact.

That sort of thing Smile

You're a Cool Cat to have asked about that bygone era, Daddy-O.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Andy

No. 3 Posted on Mar 16, 2013 5:23 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Good question. About 40 years ago I wondered the same thing. Referring to fellow musicians as "cats" has always remained a sort of "hip" term that non-musicians don't normally use. Even today, it's still a rarely used term mainly by really cool Jazz guys. I'm not cool, so I don't refer to anybody as a "cat". Sad

StillKicken

No. 4 Posted on Mar 16, 2013 7:31 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Well, being one of the older guys here I do remember some really old movies that were made back in the 40's and the term Cats was used a lot. If they or you did something really cool you could be refereed to as; Man you are the Cat's Meow; or WoW that cool number was the Cat's Meoooow!

So I'm guessing the term started back in the days of Big Band and Jazz.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
StillKicken

No. 5 Posted on Mar 16, 2013 6:07 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRO964l_nE

Found this on YOU TUBE.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Singlestroker

No. 6 Posted on Mar 18, 2013 4:50 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRO964l_nE

Found this on YOU TUBE.

sherm

I noticed that they also spoke on there of "digging" what they liked. Googling suggests that it is another term that may have originated among jazz musicians.

I don't think that either of these terms has found much favour over here in the UK, among musicians or elsewhere.

Singlestroker edited on Mar 18, 2013 6:48 AM

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 20 milliseconds