Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

The Zone Time Signature
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster The Zone Time Signature
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Mar 13, 2013 6:56 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgT82vDZIIQ
Normally I'm fairly good with deciphering time signatures. For whatever reason, I draw a blank here. I thought I detected a 5/8 a little bit after the beginning and I believe the majority of the song is in 4/4. Just displaced by half a beat to make it not sound like 4/4. I'm guessing. But what I do know is that those were INSANE polyrhythms!

technique2012 edited on Mar 13, 2013 7:44 PM

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 2 Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:30 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Wow, good question. Seems like it switched back and forth at times.

That Jay Oliver cat on keys is amazing.

Thanks for sharing

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....
technique2012

No. 3 Posted on Mar 14, 2013 2:02 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
45 seconds to 1 minute 6 seconds, it the bar right before the sax entrance is a 7/8. Though 4/4, it tricks the listener by displacing the song by half of a quarter note but clues back to the 4/4 when Weckl hits the and-of-4 on the base drum at one point. The groove is entered back by a 7/8 just for measure ending the first sax lead. Then as far as I know, until it enters the sax lead again, it's 4/4. I'm probably wrong. I was playing back the video for A LONG TIME.

technique2012 edited on Mar 14, 2013 2:05 PM

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
OldFart

Mapex

No. 4 Posted on Mar 14, 2013 5:44 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Time signatures ...

We don't change Time here in Arizona. We're perpetually in Mountain Standard Time Zone Smile

I don't play enough music outside of 4/4, 6/4, 3/4, 6/8 to be of service to those of you who do.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
StillKicken

No. 5 Posted on Mar 16, 2013 7:54 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgT82vDZIIQ

WoW!! Now that was the Cat's Meow!! Kitty Cool

And in Central Texas Standard Time (CTST) we country folk only play 2/4, 3/4 and 4/4. LOL!!

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Dave

No. 6 Posted on Mar 16, 2013 10:35 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
45 seconds to 1 minute 6 seconds, it the bar right before the sax entrance is a 7/8. Though 4/4, it tricks the listener by displacing the song by half of a quarter note but clues back to the 4/4 when Weckl hits the and-of-4 on the base drum at one point. The groove is entered back by a 7/8 just for measure ending the first sax lead. Then as far as I know, until it enters the sax lead again, it's 4/4. I'm probably wrong. I was playing back the video for A LONG TIME.

It sounds like straight 4/4 to me. Even the part you are referring to. He just adds some light syncopation to it and it sounds as if he's drifting away from 4/4.
I really enjoyed it.

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 24 milliseconds