Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Latin and Lighter Sticks?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Latin and Lighter Sticks?
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Mar 11, 2013 4:18 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
While trying to play fast latin, I gradually realized my performance in latin increased significantly if I used lighter sticks. Do you guys use lighter sticks with latin? I find the slimmer shoulders make it easier to go between the bell and ride, plus since it has less mass, it's easier to manipulate the stick in quick minimal motions to get out accents and quieter sounds. At first I couldn't keep up with Nutville, but when I switched to a lighter pair, I could keep up with Nutville and go even faster. The only drawback to using a lighter stick is that the sound may not project as well in a performance (if I'm not miked) and it seems harder to do Moeller technique. It's fantastic if you only use fingers like me though. What are your opinions on lighter sticks?

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKicken

No. 2 Posted on Mar 12, 2013 4:21 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I mentioned in another thread that I use three or four stick sizes depending on room and crowd size. I also mentioned the larger sticks work better creating the tone needed from toms even when playing with a light finesse style of playing but Iím not against changing sticks at any venue for whatever reason. The size of the stick can also affect the mood of the song/music. Like you, I do enjoy using the small Jazz size sticks, especially when the music is fast like in a tight Country two step shuffle or any Jazzy fast Swing style number. The little sticks do move fast and they are easier to control.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Mar 24, 2013 10:07 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
BTW: While using the small/Jazz style sticks, have you ever practiced or tried to play as soft as possible and still do all the rhythm actions needed at the correct speeds?

My last two gigs in restaurants I did my best to play everything as soft as possible and had a blast. I knew everyone could hear me so that wasnít a problem. The band actually played a little quieter than normal (found out later the bandleader asked a couple of the guys to turn down) and I could do some funnies on cow bell or wood block that made people laugh; or play some extra intricate stuff that caused them to take notice.

We had a great Blues/Jazz style guitarist fill in with our band at the last gig; he and I with the bass man had a blast playing off each other during the gig. I think playing extra soft with small sticks had a lot to do with our actions with each other.

sherm

StillKicken edited on Mar 24, 2013 10:13 AM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
technique2012

No. 4 Posted on Mar 24, 2013 4:38 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:
BTW: While using the small/Jazz style sticks, have you ever practiced or tried to play as soft as possible and still do all the rhythm actions needed at the correct speeds?

My last two gigs in restaurants I did my best to play everything as soft as possible and had a blast. I knew everyone could hear me so that wasnít a problem. The band actually played a little quieter than normal (found out later the bandleader asked a couple of the guys to turn down) and I could do some funnies on cow bell or wood block that made people laugh; or play some extra intricate stuff that caused them to take notice.

We had a great Blues/Jazz style guitarist fill in with our band at the last gig; he and I with the bass man had a blast playing off each other during the gig. I think playing extra soft with small sticks had a lot to do with our actions with each other.

sherm

Quite the contrary, my band director practically needs me to demolish the drum set to be loud enough because I'm NEVER miked. Though at home, I have tried playing quietly before. It's fun. I play mostly big band stuff so I have to be pretty loud.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 49 milliseconds