Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Influences
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Influences
Pearl57

No. 1 Posted on Mar 6, 2013 8:59 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Who influenced your playing? Can you hear it in your playing?

Any influence heard in this video? Who do you recognize?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjwqrmPoc-o&sns=em

technique2012

No. 2 Posted on Mar 6, 2013 3:52 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My biggest influences are Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, and Tommy Igoe, and my drum teacher. My playing really doesn't resemble anyone, but in my opinion, I think my main expressions sound influenced by Tommy Igoe and Vinnie Colaiuta. In your video (which is insanely good, by the way, I could only wish to be as good as you), I'm getting the speed and dexterity familiarity of Thomas Lang. Am I right?

technique2012 edited on Mar 6, 2013 4:34 PM

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Pearl57

No. 3 Posted on Mar 7, 2013 3:59 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
My biggest influences are Vinnie Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, and Tommy Igoe, and my drum teacher. My playing really doesn't resemble anyone, but in my opinion, I think my main expressions sound influenced by Tommy Igoe and Vinnie Colaiuta. In your video (which is insanely good, by the way, I could only wish to be as good as you), I'm getting the speed and dexterity familiarity of Thomas Lang. Am I right?

Thomas Lang is a big influence for me...Not gonna hear a lot of multi pedal orchestration from me...just not that good!

Thomas is more of a recent influence. ..Being from the 70's, I was influenced by an older set of drummers and a few modern ones. ..Donati, Collins, Lang, Roddy, Halpern and others. ..

I recently took a few lessons from a local drum wizard ...I turned him on to this very video on Youtube. ...He knows my influences....He watched and at various chops through out the 5 mins was , there's Simon, theres Bobby J, there's Thomas, there's Ian...Then he turned and asked, Where's you?

For a minute, was upset. ...then realized. ...I have nothing that defines me. ..Guys like Weckl, Vinnie, Gadd, Simon Phillips all have something that defines them. ..I am really just a copy cat hearing riffs and repeating them....Not a bad thing. ..just not original. ...

Working on the original part.

Keep doing what you are doing...Getting confident and liquid in your chops comes from the sweat you put in and following a plan.

You will easily surpass my abilities.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 4 Posted on Mar 7, 2013 12:32 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I like a wide variety of drummers, too many to write a complete list.

Buddy, Bellson, Krupa, Sonny Payne, Shelley Manne, Morello, Lammond at the start.

Ringo and Charlie were there fairly early, too, but ...

Bobby Elliott
Jim McCarty
Mitch Mitchell
Ginger Baker
Ian Paice
Keith Moon
Bobby Columby
Danny Seraphine
Peter Erskine
Bill Bruford
Vinnie Colaiuta
Carmine Appice
Jim Capaldi
Terry Bozzio
Malcolm Mortimore
John Weathers

... and a cast of thousands, including local talent I/you stumble upon here and there Smile

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
technique2012

No. 5 Posted on Mar 7, 2013 1:35 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Pearl57 wrote:
You will easily surpass my abilities.

I'm probably just as much of a copy cat. I don't feel I have anything original either. Plus I'm one of those youngsters. I'm far from any sort of skill.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Pearl57

No. 6 Posted on Mar 8, 2013 1:44 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
I like a wide variety of drummers, too many to write a complete list.

Buddy, Bellson, Krupa, Sonny Payne, Shelley Manne, Morello, Lammond at the start.

Ringo and Charlie were there fairly early, too, but ...

Bobby Elliott
Jim McCarty
Mitch Mitchell
Ginger Baker
Ian Paice
Keith Moon
Bobby Columby
Danny Seraphine
Peter Erskine
Bill Bruford
Vinnie Colaiuta
Carmine Appice
Jim Capaldi
Terry Bozzio
Malcolm Mortimore
John Weathers

... and a cast of thousands, including local talent I/you stumble upon here and there Smile

Great influences for sure! With these influences in your playing, can people hear those influences in your playing, or is it just your influence coming thru? When someone hears your recordings, do they say, that's you or do they hear others in your playing?

OldFart

Mapex

No. 7 Posted on Mar 8, 2013 3:04 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Pearl57 wrote:

Great influences for sure! With these influences in your playing, can people hear those influences in your playing, or is it just your influence coming thru? When someone hears your recordings, do they say, that's you or do they hear others in your playing?

The list is populated with players having ability I deeply respect, which is something I thought worthy to aspire to.

I could *Never* play Keith Moon stuff, for instance, even though I longed to do that in many bands - I'm just too naturally structured. But I cannot play any of the stuff played by those on the list.

Your question is really difficult for me to respond to accurately. I dare not say anything because it sounds so self-serving, but in my opinion I sound like a very, very, very poor imitation of Charlie Watts playing Bill Bruford's stuff while thinking a lot about how he thinks Ian Paice would play it. This explanation makes sense to me, but it might sound comical to you or others.

And when I say 'poor imitation', I mean Reeeeeally POOR - I'm not holding anything back.

I'm just not sure anyone will hear any hint of any of the drummers on my list come through while I'm playing.

No doubt, if people hear me play they're stomping right up to the proprietor to demand an answer as to why "That Guy" is messing up the band like that ...

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
StillKicken

No. 8 Posted on Mar 9, 2013 10:38 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I was mostly influenced by my brother. He was a drummer in the high school band and graduated in 1949. So he being 14 years older than me, I always wanted to be just like him. I learned to play steel guitar just like him (didnít keep that up) and learned to play drums in school just like him. I had to be different at some point; he stopped playing and I didnít. LOL!!

When I saw the movie, Gene Kurpa Story, I knew for sure I had to be a drummer. While I was playing in school band my mother bought me a couple of record albums with Gene Krupa; one was the drum battle with Gene and Buddy Rich. I have no clue where those records are today. Sad

I listened to those two records sooo much I guess my playing style sounded a little like Gene Krupa. During a band camp just before my senior year we were setting around one evening and jamming; one of my friends asked me if I studied Gene Krupaís style; he said I sounded like him. My response was; ďthank you!! Well, actually I am faking it. Iím just putting in accents in the buzz rollsĒ. LOL!!

I guess I did sound a little like Gene Kurpa back then but over the years I just sound like me. We didnít have a lot of money so I wasnít able to listen to too many drummers and just got away from spending the time listening to them. I actually created my own way of playing the set. We only had one band director so we were only taught the basics of drumming. If we could play the 13 rudiments we were in!! LOL!!

BTW: My band director was the same guy that taught my brother 14 years earlier.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Andy

No. 9 Posted on Mar 9, 2013 5:44 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Charlie Watts is perhaps my single biggest influence. Before I even knew how to play the drums, I was blown away by his drumming.

I've received compliments over the years but nobody has ever compared my drumming to any pro... and for good reason! Smile

technique2012

No. 10 Posted on Mar 9, 2013 9:57 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Andy wrote:
I've received compliments over the years but nobody has ever compared my drumming to any pro... and for good reason! Smile

My drum teacher did once jokingly say he heard Questlove for a second (i could never get any where near the precision of him) but the closest I've ever been to being compared to a pro is someone thinking I was an adult teacher playing.

-Charles Mingus
drumster15

No. 11 Posted on Mar 20, 2013 12:39 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Nice topic well I'm sure everyone here was influenced by buddy rich in some way...

for me in no order what so ever would be
Buddy Rich, Dave Weckl, Thomas Lang, Aaron Spears, Gerald heyward, Thomas Pridgen, Derrick Roddy, Tony Royster Jr, Eric Moore, Virgil Donati,Mike Mangini, Joe Morello, Tommy Igoe, " El Negro" Hernandez ( sick latin drummer), Nicko Mc brain, Jerohm Garnett, Dennis Chambers, Gavin Harrison, Jojo Mayer, I can go on but these are my Main influences also God fits in here above them and well there you have it...

My style is mostly Gospel and Fusion I tend to use Metal, Rock Techniques like double pedal parradiddles and all that it helps me develop more creativity around the kit... Like my motto that I am following
"play the unplayable"

Pearl57

No. 12 Posted on Mar 22, 2013 10:07 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
drumster15 wrote:
Nice topic well I'm sure everyone here was influenced by buddy rich in some way...

for me in no order what so ever would be
Buddy Rich, Dave Weckl, Thomas Lang, Aaron Spears, Gerald heyward, Thomas Pridgen, Derrick Roddy, Tony Royster Jr, Eric Moore, Virgil Donati,Mike Mangini, Joe Morello, Tommy Igoe, " El Negro" Hernandez ( sick latin drummer), Nicko Mc brain, Jerohm Garnett, Dennis Chambers, Gavin Harrison, Jojo Mayer, I can go on but these are my Main influences also God fits in here above them and well there you have it...

My style is mostly Gospel and Fusion I tend to use Metal, Rock Techniques like double pedal parradiddles and all that it helps me develop more creativity around the kit... Like my motto that I am following
"play the unplayable"

Can you hear those influences in your playing or do people just hear you? Everyone has influences obviously. ...My post was really about creating a self identifier which makes your playing stand out in the crowd like those influences you listed..These players have something identifiable which sets them apart from others. ..

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 30 milliseconds