Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Re:An EXTREMELY ambitious goal
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
Poster Re:An EXTREMELY ambitious goal [Re:technique2012]
OldFart

Mapex

No. 4 Posted on Mar 2, 2013 6:58 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
Also, I need to build a repertoire of standards and a couple songs to showcase myself. Currently, I'm learning Got a Match?, Nutville, Time Check, Straight No Chaser, Caravan, Take Five, and Three to Get Ready. I have Nutville, Time Check, and Got a Match? as showcase songs and now I need some ballads and latin standards. Any and all names would be of help. I'm being assisted by my drum teacher in learning the harder songs, such as Got a Match? and Nutville.

A potential cross - Latin/Ballad - is a heavily covered song : "Girl from Ipanema" or "Desifinado" - [ Juan Carlos Jobim ]; so I'm bringing it up as a 'Two Fer' . Well, that plus the fact that I really like these songs when done well.

Another Brazilian, Sergio Mendez, has a decent catalog ... you might consider listening to some of his material (His bands have performed more material along Fusion lines (Jazz mingled with Pop, Latin, Funk) - but some stuff is compelling.

Here's one which charted in 1966 ...

Mas que nada is the first one I heard from his band. To me it's his signature song; but I digress. The drummer in this iteration of Mendes' group is subtle, yet fun to listen to - I liked watching this one again because of the guy behind the Gretsch kit Smile .

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated

Topic thread
Hits Subject Poster Chars Posted on
983 An EXTREMELY ambitious goal technique2012 373 Feb 28, 2013 5:28 PM
695 Re:An EXTREMELY ambitious goal OldFart 1212 Mar 1, 2013 1:50 PM
708 Re:An EXTREMELY ambitious goal technique2012 462 Mar 2, 2013 5:49 PM
869 Re:An EXTREMELY ambitious goal OldFart 1477 Mar 2, 2013 6:58 PM

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 15 milliseconds