Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

An EXTREMELY ambitious goal
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster An EXTREMELY ambitious goal
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Feb 28, 2013 5:28 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I recently saw an insanely good high school that I now want to audition for in high school. I know it'll be a long way for me to improve myself and get all the way to the top, so any specific advice? I already have boatloads of books and DVDs. Do clinics actually help? Jazz camps? I have a little over a year to prepare to audition for that high school (I'm in 7th grade).

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
OldFart

Mapex

No. 2 Posted on Mar 1, 2013 1:50 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
I recently saw an insanely good high school that I now want to audition for in high school. I know it'll be a long way for me to improve myself and get all the way to the top, so any specific advice? I already have boatloads of books and DVDs. Do clinics actually help? Jazz camps? I have a little over a year to prepare to audition for that high school (I'm in 7th grade).

Most of it boils down to what works for you, specifically. It's hard to make that determination through posts on an Online Message Board. I believe real help requires closer observation. If you're not already listening to jazz, you have to listen to it, absorb it, get a feel for it. Once it's in there, it can come out through your sticks.

I'd say a private instructor with the proven ability to concentrate on specific music genre' would be what you ought to seek out. However, unless you can relate really well to the instructor/mentor it could easily be a loss. These relationships are, quite honestly, slowly developed. It's not the sort of thing where you can can acquire it 'Off the Shelf', so to speak.

Otherwise DVD-instruction, or even YouTube viewing would be acceptable.

OldFart edited on Mar 1, 2013 2:04 PM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
technique2012

No. 3 Posted on Mar 2, 2013 5:49 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Also, I need to build a repertoire of standards and a couple songs to showcase myself. Currently, I'm learning Got a Match?, Nutville, Time Check, Straight No Chaser, Caravan, Take Five, and Three to Get Ready. I have Nutville, Time Check, and Got a Match? as showcase songs and now I need some ballads and latin standards. Any and all names would be of help. I'm being assisted by my drum teacher in learning the harder songs, such as Got a Match? and Nutville.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
OldFart

Mapex

No. 4 Posted on Mar 2, 2013 6:58 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
Also, I need to build a repertoire of standards and a couple songs to showcase myself. Currently, I'm learning Got a Match?, Nutville, Time Check, Straight No Chaser, Caravan, Take Five, and Three to Get Ready. I have Nutville, Time Check, and Got a Match? as showcase songs and now I need some ballads and latin standards. Any and all names would be of help. I'm being assisted by my drum teacher in learning the harder songs, such as Got a Match? and Nutville.

A potential cross - Latin/Ballad - is a heavily covered song : "Girl from Ipanema" or "Desifinado" - [ Juan Carlos Jobim ]; so I'm bringing it up as a 'Two Fer' . Well, that plus the fact that I really like these songs when done well.

Another Brazilian, Sergio Mendez, has a decent catalog ... you might consider listening to some of his material (His bands have performed more material along Fusion lines (Jazz mingled with Pop, Latin, Funk) - but some stuff is compelling.

Here's one which charted in 1966 ...

Mas que nada is the first one I heard from his band. To me it's his signature song; but I digress. The drummer in this iteration of Mendes' group is subtle, yet fun to listen to - I liked watching this one again because of the guy behind the Gretsch kit Smile .

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 21 milliseconds