Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

FAST CHROMATIC?!
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster FAST CHROMATIC?!
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Feb 20, 2013 4:18 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I may have to play a fast chromatic scale on the xylophone between two E flats, but it's at a speed of 160 bpm. Help? Or is it just repitition? My director somehow decided that if the 8th grader can't do it, then a 7th grader like me can but I'm struggling with it too (plus I'm also juggling 5 other instruments in this piece so it's a lot to keep up with). I'm getting frustrated by it and if he decides to have me play that measure, I'll be in trouble and the contest is only a couple weeks from now.

technique2012 edited on Feb 20, 2013 8:18 PM

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
RvJim

Reverend

No. 2 Posted on Feb 20, 2013 7:26 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If it is too fast for you to do cleanly at this stage, can you play half the notes?

Otherwise: pad, metronome, sticks, enjoy (you should be doing this everyday anyway). 5 minutes per major rudiment (singles, doubles and paradiddles) without stopping in between them. Then at least one or two more other rudiments for 5 minutes each.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
technique2012

No. 3 Posted on Feb 20, 2013 8:19 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
If it is too fast for you to do cleanly at this stage, can you play half the notes?

Otherwise: pad, metronome, sticks, enjoy (you should be doing this everyday anyway). 5 minutes per major rudiment (singles, doubles and paradiddles) without stopping in between them. Then at least one or two more other rudiments for 5 minutes each.

I have the exact same figure as the band so I can't do half notes. And speed isn't my problem, it's hitting the actual individual notes at that speed.

technique2012 edited on Feb 20, 2013 8:23 PM

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
RvJim

Reverend

No. 4 Posted on Feb 20, 2013 8:28 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Practice your rudiments in a mirror, watch the direction of the sticks and ensure they are moving in a vertical direction only. If you are side-swiping (common) it can make good aim more. Also consider making a dot on the pad and always aim for that. Another common technique to improve accuracy is to do rudiments on a coin instead of a pad.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 17 milliseconds