Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

correct heads
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster correct heads
fab4beatlefan

No. 1 Posted on Feb 19, 2013 2:13 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
my wood drums..no problem, but my old ludwig supraphonic and supersensative......well head suggestions please...dont like lots of ring !

RvJim

Reverend

No. 2 Posted on Feb 19, 2013 2:45 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've had good success with similar drums using coated CS, emperor and ambassador heads.

The ring is not a bad thing (provided it is in tune), it sounds different from your perspective behind the kit compared to in front of it; especially, when the rest of the band is playing. Without the ring it won't cut through the sound and be heard.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Feb 19, 2013 9:03 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
I've had good success with similar drums using coated CS, emperor and ambassador heads.

The ring is not a bad thing (provided it is in tune), it sounds different from your perspective behind the kit compared to in front of it; especially, when the rest of the band is playing. Without the ring it won't cut through the sound and be heard.

That's true. I have a standard Supra 6.5x14" and use Ambassador Coated with Ambassador Snare Side Hazy. They are probably the most versatile heads you can buy. I like a little ring when playing close to the rim. As you move into center it is snappy sounding with no ring if controlled with tuning or some type of muffler. Dead center, well it's just dead deep sounding. It really depends on the way I feel at the time or style of music. As long as it's controllable with some type of muffler I'm happy. Most of the time mufflers are not used when I play, they are used as volume control.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
fab4beatlefan

No. 4 Posted on Feb 21, 2013 7:11 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
What do ya'll think of the combo of a fiberskyn powestroke batter and a diplomat or ambassador bottom..Im trying to still get a little ring, but not a dead sound. If i use this batter, which snare side should i use ?? Thanks

StillKicken

No. 5 Posted on Feb 21, 2013 1:54 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The standard Ambassador Fiberskyn is a nice head with a quick short decay of tone, great for Jazz style music but can be used for other styles. I used it for Country, Big band and a little Rock. However I went back to using a standard coated head, just by personal choice. I would not recommend a PS3 on snare; shorter decay. It is a great head for Bass drum and some toms if it meets your style. I use Fiberskyn PS3 on both sides of my bass.

My personal choice for resonate head is an Ambassador Hazy 3 mil., mainly used for quick response. The Diplomat is a 7.5 mil head and should give a more open tone; great for Tom resonate heads. I have no personal experience with Diplomats.

sherm

fab4beatlefan

No. 6 Posted on Feb 21, 2013 2:35 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks Sherm..if i want to control some of that ring, I suppose the fb ps3 might work..ill try it with a evans 300 reso

StillKicken

No. 7 Posted on Feb 22, 2013 4:41 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Sure try it; you really never know for sure until you try it yourself. Remember everyone tunes their drums different and what wouldn't work for me may be just fine for you.

Let us know what you think about that combination.

sherm

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 21 milliseconds