Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Anyone know who this is?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Anyone know who this is?
Singlestroker

No. 1 Posted on Feb 18, 2013 10:02 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've enjoyed listening to this (left-handed) drummer on a CD of Neil Sedaka playing this concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv0CyoIZs3w

There's quite a good shot of the drummer at 0.10. Does anyone know who he is?

knightcrawler

No. 2 Posted on Feb 22, 2013 9:04 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I want to know, too! He's actually pretty good. Solid time, great feel and great fills

moneyowen

No. 3 Posted on Feb 23, 2013 12:16 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Gary Chester?

angusmacinnes

No. 4 Posted on Feb 28, 2013 3:04 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Looks like Jim Varley to me.

Singlestroker

No. 5 Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:33 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks for the answers guys. Despite my years (60+) my knowledge of who's who, and who's been who, is pretty poor, so your answers have helped me improve that.

It looks as if Gary Chester is the most likely of the two as all of the pictures I can find of Jim Varley show him as a right-hander.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 6 Posted on Mar 1, 2013 1:31 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
Thanks for the answers guys. Despite my years (60+) my knowledge of who's who, and who's been who, is pretty poor, so your answers have helped me improve that.

It looks as if Gary Chester is the most likely of the two as all of the pictures I can find of Jim Varley show him as a right-hander.

Once you supplied this, I sought out the Wikipedia article on him. Very interesting bloke.

The Wikipedia article is quite interesting.
For giggles, however, I'm posting his website :

http://www.gary-chester.com/

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Singlestroker

No. 7 Posted on Mar 1, 2013 4:08 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
... I sought out the Wikipedia article on him... Very interesting bloke...

I'm posting his website :

http://www.gary-chester.com/

Hmm, his photos show him to as right-handed. I'd read that he emphasised left-handed techniques even in right-handed players. Although that was clearly to do with ambidexterity, rather than his own tendencies, I assumed he was left-handed.

So, unless Gary sometimes played a left-handed kit to train himself to play ambidextrously, it sounds as if the identity of Neil Sedaka's drummer that night is still not too clear.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 8 Posted on Mar 2, 2013 12:12 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
Hmm, his photos show him to as right-handed. I'd read that he emphasised left-handed techniques even in right-handed players. Although that was clearly to do with ambidexterity, rather than his own tendencies, I assumed he was left-handed.

So, unless Gary sometimes played a left-handed kit to train himself to play ambidextrously, it sounds as if the identity of Neil Sedaka's drummer that night is still not too clear.

Minus a clear and lingering view only adds to the mystery.

I was stumped before and remain so now.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Singlestroker

No. 9 Posted on Mar 2, 2013 5:25 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I thought I had typed "him too" in my last post where, I wrote "him to". Ugh!

OldFart

Mapex

No. 10 Posted on Mar 2, 2013 6:20 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
I thought I had typed "him too" in my last post where, I wrote "him to". Ugh!

You're forgiven Cool

I can't count the number of grammatical faux pas I post in public ... just think of what's jotted in private.

I only hope there's no jail sentence for that (pun only slightly intended Smile ) .

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Singlestroker

No. 11 Posted on Mar 3, 2013 10:05 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
You're forgiven Cool

I can't count the number of grammatical faux pas I post in public ... just think of what's jotted in private.

I only hope there's no jail sentence for that (pun only slightly intended Smile ) .

I'm getting worse. I misplaced a comma in my last post. I must check my posts!

technique2012

No. 12 Posted on Mar 3, 2013 12:31 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
I'm getting worse. I misplaced a comma in my last post. I must check my posts!

You should see people's writing at my school...

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 32 milliseconds