Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Gibraltar Stealth rack
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Gibraltar Stealth rack
moneyowen

No. 1 Posted on Jan 29, 2013 4:44 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm probably going to get one of these. I had a Pearl rack some years ago, with a bigger drumset than I typically use these days. But never really got into the rack, in terms of easy setup. But now I use mostly just a 4 piece. And this little rack does away with the snare stand base too. So that means 2 less tripods I have to carry. I can set the other cymbals on my flat based stands. Plus, I am not a big guy, and the idea of setting up with no snare stand tripod seems rather appealing. I figure put a DW 9000 double tom holder top on the other end. The more I think about this, the more I like it. They make another other side of the stealth, which would hold 2 more pipes. But my light cymbal stands will work just fine. Gibraltar includes different nylon inserts so it will accept different hardware. You can but it with or without the snare basket and upper pipe. Anyone using one of these?

StillKicken

No. 2 Posted on Jan 29, 2013 7:00 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I have both sides, the right Cat # GSSMS and the left side GSVMS like the one in your picture but with out the tops.

See Website below:

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=detail&mid=2289&sid=616&cid=31

I used my double Ludwig tom mounts on both sides and a Gibraltar snare basket that I already had in my inventory. Like you said it comes with inserts to accommodate multiple tube sizes.

I can use one side or both depending on stage size and use one to four toms as needed.

I think you would like it. It is a very sturdy system and easy to set up.

sherm

StillKicken edited on Jan 29, 2013 7:04 PM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
paul

paulmiller

No. 3 Posted on Jan 30, 2013 10:33 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I did something similar to one of my racks last year, and tried it out on some gigs and rehearsals. I found the snare stand very inconvenient.

My snare drum is always very close to one of my small toms, and a fixed snare mount made setting the snare more difficult. Also, the weight and time saved was minimal at best.

It's an interesting idea, but it didn't work for me.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

StillKicken

No. 4 Posted on Jan 30, 2013 5:39 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Oh, one more thing, Paul’s reply reminded me. If you are on an extremely small stage the design of the foot system may be in the way of an amplifier in close quarters. As noted in your picture the foot pipe with the Gibraltar logo sticks out rather than front to back like a standard rack system.

In that situation I carry two small curved vertical tubes; attached at the top is an 8” cross bar and using the foot system in a standard format. This system encircles my 18” bass drum and holds a 10” and 12” rack toms plus two hide-a-way cymbal tubes with the arms. I have used the stealth snare stand but sometimes I will use a standard stand.

Sorry I meant to mention this in the first reply above but was half asleep when I did it.

sherm

pgdrums

No. 5 Posted on Feb 7, 2013 8:29 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Like Sherm, I have both Stealth Rack offerings. On the plus side, it has a smaller footprint than tripods and just looks cleaner and nicer, in my opinion. I prefer it over a full rack because I use the tom mounts on my bass drum and don't need anything else in front of or over the bass drum. It makes it easy to mount accessories, which you can partially see in one of the two pics I'll post.

On the down side, I was disappointed that it lengthened my setup time compared to tripod stands. It would be very fast if you could keep the pieces together all the time, but I need to break them down in order to fit them in my hardware case. That part is a pain, and the chrome scratches easily in the hardware case. I don't know what Gibraltar could do about that -- probably nothing -- but I don't like it.

I haven't experienced the problem that Paul mentioned, though I can see how it could be an issue with certain setups. In my case, I first position the snare basket where I want it to go, and then the cymbal stand at the other end is pretty adjustable to accommodate the position of the snare basket.

These pics weren't taken to necessarily highlight to the Stealth Rack, but you can see both sides a bit to get an idea of how they can be used in an actual gigging situation.

(Click the picture to view the original one)

pgdrums edited on Feb 7, 2013 8:33 AM

pgdrums

No. 6 Posted on Feb 7, 2013 8:30 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Pic 2

moneyowen

No. 7 Posted on Feb 10, 2013 6:21 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I got the Stealth, it came the other day. I got it to lighten the load a bit, and primarily to eliminate the snare stand tripod. Weighs in at 14 pounds. So it's probably a little lighter than a DW 9000 tripod base and a snare stand base. It took my down posts without having to switch to any of the other 3 (provided) nylon inserts. I did have to fiddle with it a little, setting it up. Not too bad for right out of the box. Rock solid though, and zero issues with getting things positioned where I wanted. I had kind of fantazised about leaving it set up to transport it, but it looks a little too big to do that. Cool hinged clamps and memory locks, I'm hoping it sets up easily after the first couple tries. They do make a rolly bag specifically for the Stealth. But that seems like overkill. It will just go in the case with the rest of the (hopefully diminished) steel. What I wanted it to do, it will do. Eliminate the 2 tripods. And make a smaller footprint in the snare stand area. Plus hopefully be a little bit lighter trap case. I have a rehearsal Wed. and a gig Friday, so get to put it into action. So far, it seems like a solution

StillKicken

No. 8 Posted on Feb 10, 2013 9:13 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Congratulations, I know you’re going to like it.

I used the Stealth system for some time then purchased more parts to create a monster rack that included the Stealth snare drum stand; it would hold anything you want to put on it. The monster was very clumsy and very heavy, tried leaving the entire mount group attached. There were times in the past when I did transport the Stealth system without breaking it down but going through door was problem. For small gigs in tight places I used two regular stands, usually only one and each one would hold two toms.

Last week I purchased a nice Ahead Hardware case, 16x14x38 and yesterday I used a full Stealth system, both sides. With the plug in hardware that I have I can setup for one to four toms with ease, thanks to memory locks.

sherm

moneyowen

No. 9 Posted on Feb 17, 2013 5:23 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
It worked great. Easy to set up and rock solid. I like the way I can eliminate the snare stand tripod, space-wise. And not carry 2 large tripods, weight-wise.

StillKicken

No. 10 Posted on Feb 18, 2013 7:11 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Nice!!! And I also like that finish on the drums.

sherm

pgdrums

No. 11 Posted on Feb 18, 2013 8:51 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Cool. I've been really happy with mine and think you will be too. And like Sherm, I really dig that finish on your drums.

StillKicken

No. 12 Posted on Feb 18, 2013 12:42 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
BTW: I noticed the angle of the front foot. I do that a lot and will tomorrow night; that’s where the bass amp goes, just in front of the Hi-Hat stand. I better get it right quick because when he walks in that’s where he puts it. LOL!! (he will move it if I ask, just kidding)

That stand will hold two toms, 10 and 12” plus an 18” medium ride sizzle cymbal in front and of course the 6.5x14 snare in the back.

We are so crowded the bass drum is only 2 or 3” from the wall on the right and there are two speakers stacked (we only use one) about 20” in front of the bass drum, but that’s OK, I guarantee everyone in there can hear it.

sherm

StillKicken edited on Feb 18, 2013 12:47 PM

Andy

No. 13 Posted on Feb 18, 2013 6:05 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Don't want to be "Mister Negative" but just about every piece of Gibraltar equipment I've ordered was disappointing. Gibraltar always seems to be in the forefront with the next revolutionary product that sells for a while than goes up in smoke. Remember that silly catapult bass drum pedal? Man, that thing was a piece of work!

Not sure about this latest thing. It may just be the next best thing. My bet, however is that it's not going to catch on. We'll see.

paul

paulmiller

No. 14 Posted on Feb 19, 2013 12:38 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I've been using Gibraltar racks for over 10 years, and have been very satisfied. Never tried any of their pedals, but their racks, especially with Road Series clamps, are stellar.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 29 milliseconds