Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Re:Tune-bot
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
Poster Re:Tune-bot [Re:Kaleidoscope]
StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:31 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I use tuners because my ears are not the best; I have hearing aids in both ears.

Been using the Tama Watch for some time now, it operates the same as the drum Dial. It's helped me a lot and the drum has to be on a flat surface when in use. The Tune-Bot can be used on the rack for quick checks to even things out when you are in a hurry and it can be used with noisy surroundings; I have even turned my toms over on the rack for the reso side.

The last time I played one of our major gigs when I use four toms I went with the Tuning Calculator for max resonance on their web site and they sounded great. A friend of mine happened to be there and set in for a number of songs, he made the same comment but suggested I tune then about a 1/3 higher; he's a music major and I think I'm going to try that since we play in a very crowded restaurant, the higher tone we feel will help to project the sound to the crowd.

The Tune-Bot takes some practice getting use to and a very fine adjustment can be major, then I get lost. LOL!! Before I know it I've just jumped an octave and the frequency...is the same????????? Is that true?

The dial and electronic tuners seem to work best on smaller drums and newer heads although they DO work on bigger drums. The heads on my toms are two to three years old. Don't forget bigger drums are NATURALLY lower in pitch so lower tuning of the heads are not needed when using tuners. They have to be tight enough to resonate. You will notice this more when using the dial system because it only feels pressure; electronic systems register frequencies.

One thing I noticed while watching the pro's in the videos, when tuning down they naturally turn the lug down past the note then tighten it back up to the infrequence needed. Remember always tune up never down, just like a guitar string.

sherm

PS: One more thing; I have found it's better tune up the lowest reading at a particular lug first before trying to balance the other lugs.

StillKicken edited on Jan 21, 2013 4:49 PM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System

Topic thread
Hits Subject Poster Chars Posted on
1559 Tune-bot Kaleidoscope 273 Jan 21, 2013 2:45 PM
1403 Re:Tune-bot technique2012 340 Jan 21, 2013 2:49 PM
1425 Re:Tune-bot Pearl57 766 Jan 22, 2013 5:09 PM
1426 Re:Tune-bot StillKicken 1997 Jan 21, 2013 4:31 PM
1327 Re:Tune-bot RvJim 574 Jan 31, 2013 5:12 AM
1362 Re:Tune-bot knightcrawler 145 Feb 6, 2013 12:04 PM

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 12 milliseconds