Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Tune-bot
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Tune-bot
Kaleidoscope

No. 1 Posted on Jan 21, 2013 2:45 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Some people mentioned about this product. I have a drum dial laying around somewhere I use/d every now and then. This product seems pretty freakin neat though. If you have used it or know anything about this thing I wanna know please. Don't tell me to learn by ear. Thanks

say cheese
"Hi ... my name is Kaleidoscope and I'm a Zildji-holic."
technique2012

No. 2 Posted on Jan 21, 2013 2:49 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My dad and I use one for our set. It works perfectly and is easy to use. We don't wield all the functions, but it easily fits basic tuning needs. Watch a couple videos and see if it's for you. But if you're happy with what you have and your set sounds good, keep it. The Tune-bot is really for the less experienced tuners like my dad and I.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
StillKicken

No. 3 Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:31 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I use tuners because my ears are not the best; I have hearing aids in both ears.

Been using the Tama Watch for some time now, it operates the same as the drum Dial. It's helped me a lot and the drum has to be on a flat surface when in use. The Tune-Bot can be used on the rack for quick checks to even things out when you are in a hurry and it can be used with noisy surroundings; I have even turned my toms over on the rack for the reso side.

The last time I played one of our major gigs when I use four toms I went with the Tuning Calculator for max resonance on their web site and they sounded great. A friend of mine happened to be there and set in for a number of songs, he made the same comment but suggested I tune then about a 1/3 higher; he's a music major and I think I'm going to try that since we play in a very crowded restaurant, the higher tone we feel will help to project the sound to the crowd.

The Tune-Bot takes some practice getting use to and a very fine adjustment can be major, then I get lost. LOL!! Before I know it I've just jumped an octave and the frequency...is the same????????? Is that true?

The dial and electronic tuners seem to work best on smaller drums and newer heads although they DO work on bigger drums. The heads on my toms are two to three years old. Don't forget bigger drums are NATURALLY lower in pitch so lower tuning of the heads are not needed when using tuners. They have to be tight enough to resonate. You will notice this more when using the dial system because it only feels pressure; electronic systems register frequencies.

One thing I noticed while watching the pro's in the videos, when tuning down they naturally turn the lug down past the note then tighten it back up to the infrequence needed. Remember always tune up never down, just like a guitar string.

sherm

PS: One more thing; I have found it's better tune up the lowest reading at a particular lug first before trying to balance the other lugs.

StillKicken edited on Jan 21, 2013 4:49 PM

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Pearl57

No. 4 Posted on Jan 22, 2013 5:09 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
technique2012 wrote:
The Tune-bot is really for the less experienced tuners like my dad and I.

Not quite sure it's just for the less experienced or for those with hearing impairments or gadget freaks, I think it's useful for all mentioned and those that desire a finely tuned instrument. Drummers finally have something specifically designed for tuning drums other than by ear just like guitarists...

Nothing worse than a guitarist who refuses to use a tuner and swears it's in tune. ..this doesn't just apply to guitarists either. ..lol!

Tunebot is a great tool/aid in the fine tuning of drums...There is also Resotune at 3 times the cost of tunebot. ...It sends a frequency out and analyzes the drum for it's optimum sound. ...

RvJim

Reverend

No. 5 Posted on Jan 31, 2013 5:12 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My wife bought me one of these for my birthday (couple weeks ago). I got to use it for the first time on the weekend and thought it was really great. I tune really quite well by ear, but it takes me forever and I hate doing it. I found that I had all my lugs within 2 Hz of each other already (in most cases 1 Hz). That little bit of fine tuning I did with this made a HUGE difference. I think it is a great device.

That all said. I would think if you can't get it in the ball park of the right spot, it likely won't help you really improve the overall sound of your kit.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
knightcrawler

No. 6 Posted on Feb 6, 2013 12:04 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I was looking into getting one myself, too. I tune by ear, but I would like to have something that will make tuning quicker when I need it to be.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 50 milliseconds