Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

QMix / iPhone mount
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster QMix / iPhone mount
pgdrums

No. 1 Posted on Jan 4, 2013 6:41 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hey, everybody. Been a long time since I've been able to log on here. I hope that everyone is doing well and enjoying the new year so far.

I'm here seeking some suggestions. For the last year or two our band has been using a Presonus digital board with wi-fi capabilities, allowing our sound tech to mix the band from his iPad and giving him the flexibility not to be tethered to the console. For the first time on New Year's Eve, I used that wi-fi function to mix my own in-ear monitor mix through my iPhone with the Presonus Qmix app. Super cool feature, and if anyone is considering going this route, I highly recommend it.

Anyway, the problem is that I tried setting my iPhone on the same accessory tray (mounted to a cymbal stand) as my Rolls headphone amp, and the phone created some sort of signal interference that caused a noise in the whole band's in-ear monitors. I had to move the phone from the Rolls unit in order to stop the noise, and the best I could do was to set it on my bass drum. That put it basically out of reach while I was playing and made it difficult to make quick adjustments.

Looking for some other options. One thought is an iPhone mount with a gooseneck. Needs to be easily rotatable, because the Qmix app has different functions depending on whether the phone is vertical or horizontal. Another option is to replace the Rolls unit with a belt-pack in-ear monitor amp, like the Shure P4HW, and then use the tray just for the phone, but that's an expensive option to buy something that does exactly the same thing as what I already have.

Any other ideas?

Thanks. Mark

pgdrums

No. 2 Posted on Jan 4, 2013 6:45 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Another thought was to try to find some kind of iPhone mount with a gooseneck that would attached to the bass drum hoop, like some of the old cowbell mounts used to do. Haven't found one yet, though.

Kaleidoscope

No. 3 Posted on Jan 4, 2013 2:53 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-IKM-IKLIPMINI-LIST?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CKyprqTlz7QCFQkFnQodOV4A8Q might be useful, just attach to mic stand, cymbal stand or something

say cheese
"Hi ... my name is Kaleidoscope and I'm a Zildji-holic."
Kaleidoscope

No. 4 Posted on Jan 4, 2013 2:54 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
or cheaper https://www.google.com/shopping/product/9141216812614732986?q=music%20stand%20iphone%20mount&hl=en&newwindow=1&biw=1280&bih=909&sa=X&ei=cV3nUKq6MJOa8gT70oGoDg&ved=0CIYBEPMCMAg

this first seems like you could attach to one of those splash cymbal booms that attach to a cymbal stand. There is a couple bands around town that use Ipads to hold their charts/lyrics using the ipad holders that clip to mic stands.

Kaleidoscope edited on Jan 4, 2013 2:56 PM

say cheese
"Hi ... my name is Kaleidoscope and I'm a Zildji-holic."
pgdrums

No. 5 Posted on Jan 8, 2013 7:04 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks for the suggestions.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 16 milliseconds