Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Re:Brush Talk
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
Poster Re:Brush Talk [Re:paul]
StillKicken

No. 7 Posted on Dec 28, 2012 8:26 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
The main thing to me is not to look at brushes as simply a way to play more softly. Allow their different sound to suggest different ways to play your material. If you just play the same way you do with sticks you're going to be less effective, and will be retarding your growth musically.

I agree!!

Not long ago we were playing the song Cold Cold War (I think LOL) and what I was doing just didn't feel right. It worked in our Country atmosphere but I wasn't turned on with it. While looking down for my Jazz sticks I spotted the brushes; wow, what a difference that made with a gradual chance from Country to a Jazzy back beat it really made that song. The singers style fell right in with my beat and after the song he turned around and said; "That was great".

Just before our Christmas break at work a small group of us played music and sang for our party. One of the ladies with her beautiful voice sang, Chest Nuts Roasting on an Open Fire, I used my brushes on a medium slow simple steady tempo and received some nice compliments.

The local drum shop has a nice supply of brushes, I plan to stop by there soon and see what I can find. Mine sound good on snare drum but on toms, not so great and you can forget it on cymbals. I see videos where drummers use them around the set...but their the pros, right!!

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System

Topic thread
Hits Subject Poster Chars Posted on
1677 Brush Talk StillKicken 315 Dec 18, 2012 5:02 AM
1293 Re:Brush Talk paul 457 Dec 18, 2012 7:21 AM
1319 Re:Brush Talk technique2012 123 Dec 18, 2012 2:42 PM
1420 Re:Brush Talk Singlestroker 712 Dec 18, 2012 3:30 PM
1118 Re:Brush Talk paul 445 Dec 27, 2012 8:21 PM
1271 Re:Brush Talk StillKicken 1377 Dec 28, 2012 8:26 PM
1094 Re:Brush Talk OldFart 581 Dec 28, 2012 6:21 PM

post new topic reply to post Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded modeThreaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 13 milliseconds