Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Brush Talk
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Brush Talk
StillKicken

No. 1 Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:02 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
We talked about sticks a number of times in the past and I tend to learn from each.

In this thread I would like to hear about your favorite brushes and why.

I have a pair of brushes but not really happy with them, not even sure the brand. LOL!!

So, have at guys and girls, tell me all you know.

Sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
paul

paulmiller

No. 2 Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:21 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm down a little in brushes since my two favorite pair were stolen. I currently have two pair in my stick bag, some Regal Tip non-retractable with wood handles, and similar Vaters with a wider spread and thicker handles. I also like a pair of RT Clayton Camerons that are in my home bag at the moment. I generally like the slender Regal Tips best, but will switch depending on the situation and the sound I want.

I just can't seem to settle on one pair.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

technique2012

No. 3 Posted on Dec 18, 2012 2:42 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I use the Regal Tip Jeff Hamilton's. They have the projection I need, plus I have a hard time playing with lighter brushes.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Singlestroker

No. 4 Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:30 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm not sure I know enough about the various brushes out there to pinpoint a favourite.

One thing I did notice the other day was that a set I though were pretty useless are actually pretty good for the right application. They are made of nylon that is so soft that the shaft is in contact with the head with the slightest pressure. What I've found is that they are good for playing staccato strokes on the head, rather than brushing the head. The strands hit the head slightly before the shaft and produce a very interesting sound.

I do have to be careful to make sure that the plastic casing protecting everything from the aluminium in the shaft doesn't peel back and allow my cymbals to get scratched.

paul

paulmiller

No. 5 Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:21 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
There are so many different types of brushes that I think you have to find what works for you. I like to try different ones to see how they feel and sound. The main thing to me is not to look at brushes as simply a way to play more softly. Allow their different sound to suggest different ways to play your material. If you just play the same way you do with sticks you're going to be less effective, and will be retarding your growth musically.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

OldFart

Mapex

No. 6 Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:21 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Unfortunately, I have but the one pair right now:
Flix Jazz Brushes (dark blue, if that matters).

Need to obtain some proper wire brushes, yet glad to have these.

It's been too long to remember what brands I had in a previous life, but recall brushes which were "too" anything ( stiff or flexible ) were off-putting.

I don't think I ever purposely bought non-retractable wood-handled brushes, come to think of it. I subconsciously preferred retractable styles knowing they'd store easily with no possibility of bending. I guess I'm more anal about that than most people.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
StillKicken

No. 7 Posted on Dec 28, 2012 8:26 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
paul wrote:
The main thing to me is not to look at brushes as simply a way to play more softly. Allow their different sound to suggest different ways to play your material. If you just play the same way you do with sticks you're going to be less effective, and will be retarding your growth musically.

I agree!!

Not long ago we were playing the song Cold Cold War (I think LOL) and what I was doing just didn't feel right. It worked in our Country atmosphere but I wasn't turned on with it. While looking down for my Jazz sticks I spotted the brushes; wow, what a difference that made with a gradual chance from Country to a Jazzy back beat it really made that song. The singers style fell right in with my beat and after the song he turned around and said; "That was great".

Just before our Christmas break at work a small group of us played music and sang for our party. One of the ladies with her beautiful voice sang, Chest Nuts Roasting on an Open Fire, I used my brushes on a medium slow simple steady tempo and received some nice compliments.

The local drum shop has a nice supply of brushes, I plan to stop by there soon and see what I can find. Mine sound good on snare drum but on toms, not so great and you can forget it on cymbals. I see videos where drummers use them around the set...but their the pros, right!!

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 32 milliseconds