Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Need Help! Quick! (THANKS in advance) :D
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Need Help! Quick! (THANKS in advance) :D
nitaell72

No. 1 Posted on Dec 15, 2012 5:59 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
My 23 y/o son is a novice drum enthusiast - has never been able to afford a set on his own and I would like to get him a used set for Christmas. Here's my dilemma: I have absolutely NO IDEA which sets are good, who I can trust, what to look for, etc. PLUS I only have $300 to spend as I was just laid off Sad.

1. Can I get him a decent set of drums, hardware, everything needed for $300 cash?
2. What brands do I look for? Steer away from?
3. Drum lingo is over my head (hats, etc., lol) so ANY help you can give this ol' lady who's trying to give something of value to my son IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!
~God Bless...
~Nita

technique2012

No. 2 Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:13 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Nita, I'm a 12 y/o novice too, so not all my knowlege may be as effective as the these guys who have been playing for longer than I've been alive but I'll do my best to help. To be honest, it'll be fairly difficult to get ALL the hardware needed for a drum kit. Stands and whatnot can range from tens to hundreds, while entire drum kits, even if they're small and on ebay, often list for hundreds if not thousands, too. There's no brand I can tell you to steer clear of, as each brand has their pros and cons but I can tell you one thing. Find something durable. Durability is usually the most important attribute if you're in a budget (in your case, an especially tight one). If possible, I'd also advise warranty on the cymbals and drums. If your son is playing on hard floor, you'll also need a drum rug. Now as for the "lingo", I'll give you the hardware basics. There's the "boom-arm" that is essentially the arm from the stand holding the cymbals up. The hi-hat is the cymbal that you step on a pedal to bring them together and produce different sounds. The tom-toms or toms for short, are typically the drums BESIDES the snare drum (main drum in front of the toms) and the bass drum, the drum you use a pedal to hit. The ride cymbal and crash cymbal have a few differentialities but both of them, you can play a beat on or hit as an accent note. The splash cymbal is a tiny cymbal often used just for accenting certain rhythms. I will list a few trusted drum brands I've come to use. Pearl, DW, Ludwig, Yamaha, and Grestch are drum brands to only name a few.. The best cymbal brands are typically Sabian and Zildjian. You can probably get most of your questions answered and better explained by a store associate instead of a middle schooler, but I hope some of this helps you. I actually think it may be more in your budget to purchase an electronic kit. Go for electronic kits such as Yamaha or Roland. Keep an eye out for sales and I hope your son does good!

Happy holidays,
Ethan

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
nitaell72

No. 3 Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:41 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Awww...thanks so much! And you're well-versed well beyond your 12 years Smile
My son isn't interested in electronic drums or I'd look further into that. Yes, my budget is tight but I'm finding many within my budget on Craigslist...but I just don't know how to tell if something is so worn it would be a bad idea to buy it.

I've looked online trying to find reviews and that's been somewhat helpful, too.

Again, thanks...
Smile

Singlestroker

No. 4 Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:45 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
As you've already pointed out, time is not on your side.

It is difficult to rule kits in and out in the general way you are hoping for. To help you, forum members would need full details of kits that are up for sale in your neighbourhood for them to try to assess. I am sure you can imagine how that might go, given that advertisements can generate a host of questions, and that we won't be there with you when you go to view a kit.

My advice is to get hold of a trustworthy, helpful drummer through a friend, and get her or him to help you find a kit and purchase it.

Best wishes with your purchase.

nitaell72

No. 5 Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:00 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks Smile
What's your views on Sound Percussion 5-pc w/cymbals? New, not used..online deal is for under $300. I see where the cymbals are crap but besides that, is this a decent set for a beginner? Or should I shy away from this cuz 'you get what you pay for?'

technique2012

No. 6 Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:20 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Sounds like a good deal. Just investigate the pictures closely to make sure there's nothing seedy about it and you've probably got yourself a happy son! Let us know what happens after the holidays or if another problem occurs. We've got some smart people on this forum. Just make sure the kit isn't cracked somewhere or if it looks like it was dumped in the mud then taken out. Also, if the drum heads are in bad shape, you may want to consider getting some new heads. And conventional head works. And I also hope you find another job sometime in the near future.

Best of luck,
Ethan

technique2012 edited on Dec 15, 2012 8:24 PM

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
OldFart

Mapex

No. 7 Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:41 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
nitaell72 wrote:
Thanks Smile
What's your views on Sound Percussion 5-pc w/cymbals? New, not used..online deal is for under $300. I see where the cymbals are crap but besides that, is this a decent set for a beginner? Or should I shy away from this cuz 'you get what you pay for?'

Greetings and welcome to Remo Forum Smile

It's been quite a number of years since my son had his first kit, but it was a Pearl Export which happened to be bundled with Sound Percussion stands.

Admittedly it's been too long to supply a reasonable assessment, but those Sound Percussion stands didn't "stand" up to the task.

Good brands for drums are : DW, Gretsch, Ludwig, Mapex, Pearl, Premier, Sonor, Tama, Taye, Yamaha ... there are others, but these are mainstays.

For the amount you quote, $300, you can get other brands ( lesser quality/lesser known ). The lesser known and lesser quality brands would very likely be closer to new. For $300 you'll see the Good brands I've noted, but they're very likely going to be worn, if not rather old. One thing to add : The older Good Brands seen above will likely fetch higher prices, too, possibly being much sought-after Vintage examples of the well-known Good drums.

Don't give up looking, but finding something at that price point might also be partial drum sets. That's not necessarily a bad thing - your son could pick up other 'missing' pieces down the road.

Ultimately, I think a $300 Drum Kit could be found, but quite possibly not right away with off-the-shelf ease.

I hope this helps to some degree.

God Bless you, too -

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
nitaell72

No. 8 Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:51 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
You've all been so helpful ... thank you .. and thank you for your kind words.

May each of you have a blessed Christmas season <3

OldFart

Mapex

No. 9 Posted on Dec 15, 2012 9:16 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
nitaell72 wrote:
You've all been so helpful ... thank you .. and thank you for your kind words.

May each of you have a blessed Christmas season <3

Thank you for the good wishes, Nita -

Perhaps you could look in your area for Pawn Shops. I've never purchased drum gear from a Pawn Shop, but often they'll have musical instruments. In addition to any Craigslist candidates, a Pawn Shop might be worth a look. You might also want to look to see if your city has a Guitar Center or a Sam Ash. They usually have drums that have been traded-in.

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
technique2012

No. 10 Posted on Dec 15, 2012 9:17 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
T'was the night before Christmas. And Nita just got her son an epic drum set...Smile

-Charles Mingus
moneyowen

No. 11 Posted on Dec 16, 2012 7:25 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
That set for $300 is probably what you need. With your budget, and you need to get the whole thing, drums cymbals stands. And those kits are one way to do it. Probably the only way, for $300. Unless you found a used complete kit on craigslist or something like that. I had a student who's mom had bought him a 'Gammon' set, which I unpacked and put together. It was all there and of decent quality. Ready to roll pretty much. Sound Percussion is a similar type pedigree. I think they are sold exclusively by Sam Ash? or one of the big chains. The quality and build levels on these are up a lot from where they were even a few years ago. At any rate, he can have a lot of fun with this, and with reasonable care it should last for years. If he gigs out and goes on tour then he will find most of it will need replacing fairly soon. Hope this helps

StillKicken

No. 12 Posted on Dec 16, 2012 7:59 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
If you should go to a Pawn Shop; never pay the ticket price. I usually TRY to pay half of what they ask. It depends on how long its been setting there as to what they will take for it.

The problem with Pawn Shops you are never really sure of what you are getting. Is it there because there is something wrong with it or did the owner need money.

Good luck, with your find.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
OldFart

Mapex

No. 13 Posted on Dec 16, 2012 10:32 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Found online ( Both are somewhat Over the price limit, though ):

This ( No stands or cymbals, just what is known as a 'stack' ) -
http://www.interstatemusic.com/14291-Pearl-CSC625P91-CenterStage-5-Piece-Drum-Set-Shell-Pack-Red-Wine-CSC625P91.aspx

And this :

Click here to open a new window

OldFart edited on Dec 16, 2012 10:34 AM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
nitaell72

No. 14 Posted on Dec 16, 2012 12:56 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thanks everyone ... I think I've settled on one ... it's a Premier drumset (with throne) with the good cymbals ("Z" ones lol)..owner bought the set used himself so he doesn't really know how old they are but he said they're good, sound good, they look good and he's throwing in an instructional DVD, workbooks and metronome for $340. I had a friend scan over the ad and he said it looks like a good deal for $340.
Gonna drive across town to check them out in a couple of hours. Hope it's all good Smile

Singlestroker

No. 15 Posted on Dec 16, 2012 1:18 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Nita, congratulations. It sounds as if you may have done nicely. If you get a chance, why not post some photographs?

Secondhand with advice from a drummer was certainly the way to go if possible.

Singlestroker edited on Dec 16, 2012 1:24 PM

OldFart

Mapex

No. 16 Posted on Dec 16, 2012 10:26 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
nitaell72 wrote:
Thanks everyone ... I think I've settled on one ... it's a Premier drumset (with throne) with the good cymbals ("Z" ones lol)..owner bought the set used himself so he doesn't really know how old they are but he said they're good, sound good, they look good and he's throwing in an instructional DVD, workbooks and metronome for $340. I had a friend scan over the ad and he said it looks like a good deal for $340.
Gonna drive across town to check them out in a couple of hours. Hope it's all good Smile

Congratulations -

Sounds like it'll be a fine Christmas!

Mapex Saturn * Paiste

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 43 milliseconds