Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Using odds and ends as percussion instruments
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Using odds and ends as percussion instruments
Singlestroker

No. 1 Posted on Dec 9, 2012 1:24 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
On a recent thread the subject of using everyday items, from the house, the workshop, etc. as percussion instruments rather than for their intended purpose. I was at a concert given by the Grimethorpe Colliery band, which is one of the UK's few finest brass bands.

There, mounted on a snare drum stand, in all its glory, was a tatty car wheel with no tyre (I suppose that US members would call that an automobile wheel without a tire). The percussionists struck it with an equally tatty pein hammer to produce the sound of an anvil, and lighter, but still quite heavy, metal bars for other metallic effects. The effects were superb, but cost practically nothing.

I think that if those guys are thinking laterally like that, then it's a cue for lesser mortals such as me to carry on trying out whatever falls into our hands.

Dave

No. 2 Posted on Dec 9, 2012 6:33 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Use what is available to you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXynrsrTKbI

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

HuskerFan

Joshua

No. 3 Posted on Dec 9, 2012 9:10 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Variously sized barbell weights can be quite fun.

Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz in Copper Sparkle

Andy

No. 4 Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:57 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Tin cans make great scrapers. You can flatten them and nail them to a board to make a cool "snare drums" as well. Plastic plant watering jugs can be freaking unbelievable for making cool sounds. Small plastic bottles filled with BBs make good shakers.

kudoco

Adrian

No. 5 Posted on Dec 30, 2012 1:52 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I remember an old member of the forum who used sawblades in his set

An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything.
StillKicken

No. 6 Posted on Jan 1, 2013 8:06 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Years ago as a kid just out of High School I helped some guys record a new Christmas song they had written; they needed jingle bells for the recording, not having any we used my ring of car and house keys. LOL!!

sherm

BTW: I had a choice; go for the profits or a one time payment, booked it for $25.00, I was the only one that made any money.Big Smile

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Singlestroker

No. 7 Posted on Jan 3, 2013 1:30 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Thank you for your replies everyone. The Youtube video link from Dave really puts it in perspective. After that, I'll think again if I ever imagine I'm doing a great job making things work for me!

OldFart

Mapex

No. 8 Posted on Jan 3, 2013 11:43 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
Thank you for your replies everyone. The Youtube video link from Dave really puts it in perspective. After that, I'll think again if I ever imagine I'm doing a great job making things work for me!

While I didn't contribute before, you're welcome -

This isn't for use while playing drums or performing as a percussionist, but with house and car keys in one front trouser pocket along with folded paper or a wallet or wireless phone in the other front trouser pocket I make a pleasingly rhythmic annoyance for my wife and other people roundabout. I'm quite proud of that accomplishment Smile

But it works well and leaves me smiling. { ... and yes, with the right shoes on I augment with toe-tapping }

OldFart edited on Jan 3, 2013 11:45 AM

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Singlestroker

No. 9 Posted on Jan 3, 2013 12:44 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
... with house and car keys in one front trouser pocket along with folded paper or a wallet or wireless phone in the other front trouser pocket I make a pleasingly rhythmic annoyance for my wife and other people roundabout. I'm quite proud of that accomplishment Smile

But it works well and leaves me smiling. { ... and yes, with the right shoes on I augment with toe-tapping }

Is that the best you can do at embarrassing yourself, Randy? Well I can beat you hands down!

I often practise tricky bits of co-ordination with hands on my sides, front, etc., while walking three dogs. The hand and foot bits I am doing in my head, if you follow... Sometimes, though, when I am really getting into it, I stop and do the foot movements and all the rest for a few bars. John Cleese himself has got nothing compared to me when it comes to suddenly realising that someone else has noticed...

Blush

OldFart

Mapex

No. 10 Posted on Jan 5, 2013 11:32 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
Is that the best you can do at embarrassing yourself, Randy? Well I can beat you hands down!

I often practise tricky bits of co-ordination with hands on my sides, front, etc., while walking three dogs. The hand and foot bits I am doing in my head, if you follow... Sometimes, though, when I am really getting into it, I stop and do the foot movements and all the rest for a few bars. John Cleese himself has got nothing compared to me when it comes to suddenly realising that someone else has noticed...

Blush

I just try to restrict acknowledging the embarrassment - this one was able to sneak through Big Smile

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 29 milliseconds