Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Because I don't like to Start Then Quit
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Because I don't like to Start Then Quit
knightcrawler

No. 1 Posted on Dec 4, 2012 5:01 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OK! I have an issue...paradox...dilemma...a problem of sorts that Dr. Who feasibly can't resolve

I am in the process of looking for a day job so I can have my nights freed up.

Why?

Well, duh, so I can continue with music, photography, and be an active volunteer in the community.

Here's the question. Should I start a band knowing I may or may not have to quit? I am planning on going back to school and/or moving to another state next year.

I just miss playing. I haven't played on stage for awhile now

technique2012

No. 2 Posted on Dec 4, 2012 5:50 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
This is coming from a kid, so even I wouldn't take my advice too seriously. Better that a gigging adult with experience tells you. But in my opinion, don't make any long-time investment in a band or anything that you know you won't be around for. You'll have your chance next year. A substitute teacher once said, "Don't eat the marshmellow. You'll get more and more as long as you don't eat the marshmellow." This saying apparently came off a study of how toddlers who didn't eat the marshmellow had more successful lives and those who did didn't. But I'm going off on a tangent so back to the topic. It's just a way of saying that when you're patient, you'll get something even better. I tend to go off on a lot of tangents... one time my drum teacher and I lost half our lesson after we talked about drummers for 30 minutes.

technique2012 edited on Dec 4, 2012 5:57 PM

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
RvJim

Reverend

No. 3 Posted on Dec 4, 2012 5:59 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I think you should do it anyway. If you don't move you'll regret wasting this time. If you do move, then you'll have the experience. I just think that you should be careful about what you put together/join. Don't waste peoples time, if it is a band that is taking it 100% serious 3-4 rehearsals a week, then they will feel very jaded if you muck them around. But if the band rehearses once a week and is pretty relaxed about it being more for fun then I don't see the harm.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Kaleidoscope

No. 4 Posted on Dec 4, 2012 6:08 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:
I think you should do it anyway. If you don't move you'll regret wasting this time. If you do move, then you'll have the experience. I just think that you should be careful about what you put together/join. Don't waste peoples time, if it is a band that is taking it 100% serious 3-4 rehearsals a week, then they will feel very jaded if you muck them around. But if the band rehearses once a week and is pretty relaxed about it being more for fun then I don't see the harm.

say cheese
"Hi ... my name is Kaleidoscope and I'm a Zildji-holic."
knightcrawler

No. 5 Posted on Dec 6, 2012 4:44 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
See, that's my thinking. I can simply post an add, explicitly detailing that the band is here just for fun. It may even be just a cover band, but possibly with some originals. I figured, if I do move, the other bandmates will have some exposure and get heard. If not, we can move on to bigger things if desired.

In either case, I really don't want to regret it.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 17 milliseconds