Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

"jingle head" for a floor tom?
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster "jingle head" for a floor tom?

No. 1 Posted on Nov 30, 2012 3:09 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Hello everyone, I am not sure if this is the right forum for this, but i wast to ask, is there a way to make some thing like a head with cymbals attached to it? sort of like a "jingle head" for a floor tom? <<see poorly drawn attached picture>>

I would really like to hear what you think.
Cheers

pwc

No. 2 Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:09 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
There probably is a way, but no manufacturer would make one as it would be uneconomical and my question would be why would anyone need it ?

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
technique2012

No. 3 Posted on Nov 30, 2012 7:15 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
That's the coolest tom ever.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Singlestroker

No. 5 Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:29 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Why not just put a tambourine on the head when you need it - as Jim Keltner did on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA

By the way, enjoy the song!

OldFart

Mapex

No. 6 Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:43 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Unsure they actually make these heads any longer, but this is as close to the idea as I was able to find :

Click here to open a new window

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
StillKicken

No. 7 Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:52 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker wrote:
Why not just put a tambourine on the head when you need it - as Jim Keltner did on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA

By the way, enjoy the song!

Good idea and I liked the song to.

A jingle ring may work. It's just a flat metal ring with jingles attached, I use it on the hi-hat, it just lays on top of the top hi-hat cymbal. Has an amazing cut through the music chick tambourine sound. And I'm hard of hearing!!

I purchased one of the new clamp on type jingle rings and I couldn't hardly hear the thing, took it back and they suggested the ring for less than half the price.

I never tried it on a drum; tomorrow I have a gig and I'll get the brand name for you; it's berried deep in the back of my truck now.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
Singlestroker

No. 7 Posted on Dec 1, 2012 2:48 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
StillKicken wrote:
Good idea...

I think that there's a lot to be said for not getting tied to one line of thinking. All the shiny equipment and gadgets, large and small, associated with percussion can get us looking for a purpose-designed, branded item for everything and using everything for its "official" purpose and nothing else. Of course, that's fine if that's your choice, especially if money is no object. However, a lot of opportunities can be missed, and there are many great effects to be had by just experimenting with what happens to be around.

Jim Keltner's tambourine-on-drum-head idea is one of probably hundreds of them waiting to be used. Another that I am sure that others will have seen is a cymbal laid, bell-up, inside the hoop of the drum and resting on the head.

Another thing I've played resting on a drumhead is one or more cowbells, which saves mounting them permanently and alters their sounds, giving more choice. I've also played bongos with the backs of wooden spoons. I'm always looking for sounds that I can bring to the band with odds and ends that I come across around the house, the workshop, etc.

Singlestroker edited on Dec 2, 2012 4:02 AM

technique2012

No. 8 Posted on Dec 1, 2012 5:55 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I think Jojo Myaer used a prototype for that on his snare in one video... I believe it was his Berklee clinic sound check.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
Singlestroker

No. 9 Posted on Dec 2, 2012 6:37 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
To be honest, Ethan, when you say that Jojo Mayer originated "that on his snare", it is difficult to know what "that" is. I'll assume that you mean the cymbal on the head, as I was at one of Jojo's clinics where he demonstrated it. I don't know who originated it, however. How long Ginger Baker, for example, used it before he played the drums on JB Witchdance with Masters of Reality, I'm not sure. Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lTQ68iVdoU

Ginger demonstrates the method right at the beginning of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDE_3u5RjVA

It's a great effect, and there's quite a lot of scope with the different cymbals and drums that can be used.

OldFart

Mapex

No. 10 Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:36 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Singlestroker -

Excellent tip Smile

Thanks for sharing that video. The music video was okay - but Mr. Baker demonstrating the technique made all the difference for me.

I'll certainly keep this in mind for future reference.

Thanks very much -

Mapex Saturn * Paiste
Terry Bozzio Single-Ply Coated
Singlestroker

No. 11 Posted on Dec 2, 2012 8:12 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
OldFart wrote:
...Mr. Baker demonstrating the technique made all the difference for me...

Who would have thought, when Ginger had his former wild lifestyle and image, that he'd become the elder statesman that he now is? Perhaps the legacy of all of that is that he is so underrated. Personally, if I was offered the chance to meet any drummer, then Ginger would be way higher on the list than all of the rest.

Singlestroker edited on Dec 2, 2012 8:34 AM

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2012 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 31 milliseconds