Remo
DrumTalk » General Discussion

Calming the Nerves
go to previous topicgo to next topic

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
Poster Calming the Nerves
technique2012

No. 1 Posted on Nov 27, 2012 9:03 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Every time I perform I get super nervous. I was lucky enough during my first concert for it to not affect me. Tonight it did and I messed up my solo. Advice for calming the nerves? However I must say I've heard a lot of the typical advice people give already.

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
pwc

No. 2 Posted on Nov 27, 2012 9:18 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Sing the tune in your head as you play. It's hard to think of anything else when you are doing that.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
TheLemonAid

No. 3 Posted on Nov 28, 2012 2:17 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
Sing the tune in your head as you play. It's hard to think of anything else when you are doing that.

I actually just do that when I practice at home... I don't know how it started, but I developed this habit of humming melodies (and probably very often just weird noises) while I drum. I hope the mics don't pick that up when recording the drums... Blush

But as to Technique2012's problem, I don't really have any tips. I haven't played that many shows. But I remember not being nervous for drum performances, it was a whole other story with guitar and singing... that gets me me very nervous.

Funny or interesting drum-related video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=6frNG86EMDQ&NR=1
(New video every now and then just for entertainment :) )
Kaleidoscope

No. 4 Posted on Nov 28, 2012 4:37 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
hahaha I play with a busy bass player and humming the melody keeps at least myself in time...The more you play out the less nervous you should get. But you always gotta remember its only music and if you mess up nobody's gonna get hurt.

say cheese
"Hi ... my name is Kaleidoscope and I'm a Zildji-holic."
pwc

No. 5 Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:29 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Not sure who originally said it but I am reminded of the saying ...
"There are no mistakes, just new drum parts !"

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
technique2012

No. 6 Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:17 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
pwc wrote:
Not sure who originally said it but I am reminded of the saying ...
"There are no mistakes, just new drum parts !"

My director says when soloing, if you make a mistake, it's a new solo idea. Interestingly, Neil Peart said the same thing about his soloing, he does something he didn't mean to and he adds it to his soloBig Smile

"Anyone can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
-Charles Mingus
RvJim

Reverend

No. 7 Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:48 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I find a couple of bourbons does the trick!

The nerves will lessen with time, don't be too worried about it and it will sort itself out. I also find that using in-ears on stage gives me a sense of isolation and makes the sound uniform from rehearsal to each show and also aids in keeping everything relaxed.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
technique2012

No. 8 Posted on Nov 28, 2012 4:21 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:

I'm afraid I'm to young to drinkTongue, and we don't have mics at my concert so there's not really any point to wearing an in-ear for me.

-Charles Mingus
paul

paulmiller

No. 9 Posted on Nov 29, 2012 12:34 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
One thing that made soloing before a crowd easier was the realization that most of the audience is already on your side, and want you to do well. Recognize that fact, accept it, and use it to fuel yourself. You wouldn't have the opportunity to play if someone hadn't already believed in your ability, and you're just doing what you do almost every day. Relax, and have a good time.

While playing, don't worry about what just happened, think about what's going to happen next, and make it good.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

pwc

No. 10 Posted on Nov 29, 2012 11:40 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Long, long ago I heard this advice about solos .... " Have a great start and a great finish and put those as close together as you can ! " .... Smile

drumster15

No. 11 Posted on Nov 30, 2012 1:24 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Smoke weed..ok no I am only joking well have you considered chewing on gum? It helps out a lot but don't worry nerves are normal to have the more you play live and in big audiences the less nervous you will become trust its no biggy you can also stare at your drumset or look up probably picture yourself at home and your playing for someone minimize your thoughts and just play

StillKicken

No. 12 Posted on Dec 1, 2012 10:51 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I'm not sure when I got over the nerves thing; started playing steel guitar a 6 years old. While going to a residual I told my mother I wanted to go home, she said just concentrate on the guitar and don't look at the people. LOL!!

I do think concentration is one of the main actors. But you can have fun with mistakes. I remember one time someone asked for Wipe Out; the guys didn't know the song but they did know Johnny Be Good; when it was time to play my Wipe Out solo we all stopped at the same time, then there was dead silence. I yelled; ONE TWO THREE FOUR and started my solo. Later one of my friends asked; you really didn't mean to do your solo like that did you? I laughed and said no; he replied, well it worked. LOL!!

Now days, I look at people as they dance by; smile with a nod to make them smile back and enjoy every minute. So every time you get a chance to play in front of others, suck it up and enjoy it.

sherm

K.I.S.S. = Keep It Simple System
knightcrawler

No. 13 Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:27 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Was you nervous about the solo? Or just playing in general

I found when playing with a band, play a solo with the song in mind. Don't just do a solo and it not fit.

What I often tell drummers

KNOW THYSELF

and above all else

BE THYSELF

If you know you can't do a million notes per minute, don't do it. And never try to do it to make others happy or to show off.

I find the best and most intrigueing solos that captivate the audience are the solos that not only wows the audience but are simple, often groovy.

Lets face it, Dave Weckl plays great solos in the songs, but to be honest I find his fills and the ability to play with the music (creating a song) to be far more fascinating.

knightcrawler

No. 14 Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:28 AM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Above all else Smile

Don't picture everyone naked, because if you get asked why you were smiling during your solo...uhhh...yeah Smile I speak from experience on that one Smile

Dave

No. 15 Posted on Dec 3, 2012 10:08 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
RvJim wrote:

The nerves will lessen with time, don't be too worried about it and it will sort itself out. I also find that using in-ears on stage gives me a sense of isolation and makes the sound uniform from rehearsal to each show and also aids in keeping everything relaxed.

Curious, what kind of bourbon do you guys get over there?

"You beat calfskin/mylar with wooden sticks. Get over yourself." - Mark

StillKickinIt

Poopeye

No. 16 Posted on Dec 11, 2012 8:41 AM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
After 40+ years of gigging, I STILL get butterflies before playing.

Butterflies, not a nervous breakdown, but still nervous for some reason. Once we start playing it goes away. Booze used to be one of my tools....but then it made ME a TOOL sometimes so stopped that. Approved

Maybe some breathing exercises might help. Bring a book and read....something to distract you.

Kick me...beat me....hit me with sticks....
paul

paulmiller

No. 17 Posted on Dec 11, 2012 2:50 PM Profile | PM | Email | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
I think the main thing is to relax. You can't play your best when you're tense, or when your adrenaline is too high.

I too get butterflies before a gig, and often can't wait to get behind the kit and start, especially on big shows. In those situations I try to sit back, take a deep breath, and let my muscles go as loose as possible.

The more you do it the easier it gets.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely preferable to the presence of those who think they've found it. - Terry Pratchett

Just Add Sticks

RvJim

Reverend

No. 18 Posted on Dec 11, 2012 4:50 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
Dave wrote:
Curious, what kind of bourbon do you guys get over there?

We get a pretty good selection.

I tend to just get Wild Turkey, but I do enjoy the Evan Williams single barrel when I can!

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously"
-Hubert H Humphrey
Andy

No. 19 Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:48 PM Profile | PM | Quote | Search | Copy | Favorite
The best advice I can give on calming the nerves:

1. Resign yourself to the fact that something bad and unexpected will happen on stage. It almost always does. It's how you react to those on-stage screw ups that will ease your nerves.

2. When something bad does happen on stage (and it will) act as though it's no big deal. Show no emotion and calmly keep plugging away as if nothing happened.

3. The older you get and the more you perform, the less nervous you will be.

4. Prepare for every gig by showing up very early and bringing spare parts, heads, etc.

post new topic reply to topic Print this post Print post Forward this post Forward post Click to watch this topic Watch This Topic flat mode Flat threaded mode Threaded
  go to previous topicgo to next topic
Normal post
New post
Deleted Post
Privacy & Legal | Support | Catalogs  © 2014 Remo Inc.

Page was generated in 41 milliseconds